I just got bumped?!

Last week I booked a 2 Bedroom Aquatheater Suite on Allure for next May. I booked directly with Royal Caribbean. I just got a call saying they had accidentally double booked that room and they want to downgrade me to a Royal Family Suite. I'd be paying the lower rate and get to keep the Star Class Perks for the trouble. Is this common? My family was pretty psych'd about the ATS and this will be a huge letdown. I told the rep I'd call them back about what I want to do. Any advice?

Something similiar happened to me. I booked a JS with a TA and while I was on the phone and made my deposit someone else grabbbed the room by the time she finished up with everything. They did offer me an uprade to a GS since it was a double booked room. I also would be leery of the STAR benefits attached as far as the genie goes. This now means some genie will have another room with multiple guests to manage.

What ever you do get it in writing before you agree to anything.

I don't know how they could accidentally double book a cabin. You'd think they could get some high school computer science kid to help them out with that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agreed. Even when a cabin is placed on hold, it is immediately removed from the inventory available on the computer.

Agreed. Even when a cabin is placed on hold, it is immediately removed from the inventory available on the computer.

Hi John,

The hold only lasts for about 15 minutes. In my case, I had mutliple rooms I was booking and the JS was the one I started with, by the time I did the other 4 and finalized payment on them all and finished with the TA, the js was released into inventory and booked by someone else. My TA called me back saying that it was double booked and there were no other JS available so I got the upgrade after the TA called resolutions on Monday.

Last week I booked a 2 Bedroom Aquatheater Suite on Allure for next May. I booked directly with Royal Caribbean. I just got a call saying they had accidentally double booked that room and they want to downgrade me to a Royal Family Suite. I'd be paying the lower rate and get to keep the Star Class Perks for the trouble. Is this common? My family was pretty psych'd about the ATS and this will be a huge letdown. I told the rep I'd call them back about what I want to do. Any advice?

If it's a once in a lifetime cruise with friends/family that can't again be duplicated, that's one scenario. If you can consider another time without regrets, that's another.

Considering the second option, the costs on your particular week might help decide. Pretty serious bennies for Star over Sky.

We have the Royal Family Suite booked on Oasis next April - would love a 2 bedroom Aquatheater, but it's a ton more money. Not fair for me to look from the bottom up, but to get the Star perks for a Sky priced cabin I'm not sure this isn't a pretty decent offer if you cost it out and could do the Aquatheater another time.

Let us know what you decide!

John

I would also want to make sure you have some assurance in writing that you are being given the benefits. I wouldn't be surprised if you got on the ship and nobody there knew what you were talking about and didn't let you use the perks; not sure what the perks are, but I would make sure that you find them valuable enough to give up the room type you wanted (aka, did you book for the room itself, or the perks). Maybe ask for some OBC too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I agree with the above poster. Pre paid gratuities, drink package for all, unlimited meals at all speciality restaurants, in suite movie are a huge upgrade in benefits from Sky to Star class. I would take the offer and transfer my reservation to a TA for OBC, which at this point is only needed for shore excursions if that is your thing.

The RFS has also has two bedrooms and is a nice suite. I think two have a bathtub on the balcony. Seems like a nice novelty.

Sounds fishy to me.

Hmmmm...Yeah, it does sound a bit fishy I guess. How does a room get double booked anyway?

Perhaps someone at Royal is doing a major favor to a higher paying (or VIP) customer by trying to move you guys out of the room so they can have it instead. Either way, if you don't mind the downgrade (or can get a better room for the same price), and can negotiate some extra perks (OBC, free beverage packages, maybe a lower price), then go for it. You'll have a good time with extra money in your pocket. Otherwise, tell them to shove it.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Not quite the same I know but a couple of years ago we were bumped out of a balcony cabin in our chosen location. Argued like mad and rejected other balcony rooms. Eventually they gave us the Royal Family Suite ( for 2 of us), no increase in price and all the suite benefits.

Hmmmm...Yeah, it does sound a bit fishy I guess. How does a room get double booked anyway?

Perhaps someone at Royal is doing a major favor to a higher paying (or VIP) customer by trying to move you guys out of the room so they can have it instead. Either way, if you don't mind the downgrade (or can get a better room for the same price), and can negotiate some extra perks (OBC, free beverage packages, maybe a lower price), then go for it. You'll have a good time with extra money in your pocket. Otherwise, tell them to shove it.

That's kind of what it feels like. I asked them to move us into the two available smaller ATS suites that accommodate 4 people each (the 2 Bedroom ATS we got bumped out of held 8) and the rep refused unless we paid the difference which was huge. The only other thing besides the downgrade they offered was to book us the following week in a slightly smaller ATS on the Oasis.

That's kind of what it feels like. I asked them to move us into the two available smaller ATS suites that accommodate 4 people each (the 2 Bedroom ATS we got bumped out of held 8) and the rep refused unless we paid the difference which was huge. The only other thing besides the downgrade they offered was to book us the following week in a slightly smaller ATS on the Oasis.

Those rooms cannot be booked on line and the TA has to call to book so there should not be much of an issue double booking.

I wouldnt take those ATS 4 person suites. They are very small and deceiving and not Star class. What sailing is it? I would still refuse saying you are happy with what you have. As a side not there are 2 RFS that have a hot tube on the balcony.

We were bumped off the May 21st, 2017 Allure sailing. No one at RC can or is willing to explain how we got double booked. The RC agents we have spoken with just tell us it is virtually impossible, have never had it happen before, and won't tell us when the other party who supposedly had the room "first", booked it.