What's the closest you've book to sail date?

shealea

I love to hear people's stories and experiences here on CC!

I'm curious .... what is the closest you have booked to sail date?

And did you get a super deal that way? Or end up paying more maybe?

And did you live at or close to the Port city? Or did you have to buy air?

We live near Seattle, so we often take advantage of the Port to sail last minute to Alaska. We've gotten some good deals this way.

The closest to sail date we have booked is one week ahead. And if I can remember correctly, the best price we have gotten was $650 for a balcony. That was for the Glacier Bay itinerary on NCL Pearl.

BTW, we just returned a few days ago from Alaska on Holland America, and we loved our trip on that line. We will definitely be sailing with them again! :)

We are very particular about the cabin we get, so we never book close to departure. We usually book right after the cruise schedule is announced.

Our favorite cabin is a rear facing aft balcony, and these are usually booked very quickly.

But if we could find an aft cabin available near the departure date, we wouldn't hesitate. But so far, I have never seen that.

We had a Caribbean trip booked on the NCL Getaway, and the day of our flight, we found out our flights were cancelled due to storms on the East coast. We had the time off of work, so we frantically searched for a West coast replacement. We booked a Mexican Riviera on the Princess leaving the 2 days later. We had to fly to LA and the last minute flight cost was double what we normally pay. I don't remember the fare for the Princess but it must have been reasonable.

We drove overnight to get to the embarkation port without a booking because there had been some technical problems in the process of arranging it. We finally completed the booking on the morning of embarkation. We still remember the gracious assistance extended by HAL that morning.

We booked about 6 or 7 weeks out in March 2015. We'd already committed to FL for a vacation in the sunshine and bought airfare; I made a chart of cruises leaving that first weekend and just watched prices until I found one I liked. We didn't care where it was going, just wanted to be on a ship.

Got a 7-day Westerdam inside guarantee for $449 each. One week after booking got an upsell offer to a balcony guarantee for $150 each and took it, so $599 each for a balcony. Ended up assigned to an extended balcony aft on deck five and absolutely LOVED it.

Best bargain so far.

18 days out.. our first cruise. :)

Total last minute inspiration based on an email I got from one of those big online TA's. We were headed to South Florida for a family wedding on a Saturday and got on the ship the next day in FLL. It was Costa and we got a nice Panorama Suite (reminds me of an SS on the Vista ships of HAL) for less than $1k pp 1st and 2nd, kid was free for 7 day Western Carib. We all, including the kiddo, had our passports from previous vacations and we were driving down a few days before so airfare was not an issue.

Was a life changing event. Fantastic cruise! Food was the best we have had on any ship. The pasta was fresh and just to die for. So glad we took that leap :D

Edited by fatcat04

Three days on a Caribbean cruise while we were in south Florida. Balcony gty thT turned out to be a wonderful cabin/location.

Three days on an Alaska cruise from Vancouver. Another great cruise. Changed our vacation plans at the last minute to grab the deal.

The rest have usually been 30-70 days out with a couple in the 14 day window. They have all been very enjoyable cruise. We have never been disappointed with the cabin-gty or otherwise.

Edited by iancal

two weeks. It was for a Panama Canal Cruise 15 days. We used frequent flyer miles and had to pay $150.00 expited fees and Southwest was having a $69.00 special from San Diego. We got a great price on the cruise but we payed in the nose for a hotel it was something like $375.00 for a Crown Plaza Hotel but some of the others were close to $500.00. This was at the end of February.

This was during flu season and people were hacking when I got on the ship about a week into the cruise I got sick. The ship missed allot of stops but I was so sick I could have cared less. At least I felt good when we went through the canal.

Two and a half weeks out. Booked 10 day Sea of Cortez cruise for $599 Inside guarantee, was assigned a mid ship Ocean View - our first window room! We drove the 15 hrs to San Diego, stopping overnight in Yuma with perfect timing getting to the pier at 11:00.

Really wanted to take this cruise for the opportunity to go to Copper Canyon; the excursion was $439pp, almost as much as the cruise but so glad we got to do this beautiful cruise. Maybe they'll bring back the itinerary soon. m--

Great thread! We ARe so hoping for a last minute deal from San Diego to Mexico this November. Kinda blew our vacation dollars on a two week Alaska cruise this year on maasdam, but totally need a quick get away, if possible. Thank you for great information and encouragement.

A Thursday night for a Sunday cruise. But I was 600 km away from home and had to fly on Friday as Saturday flights were looking full. I had about one hour to pack my suitcase.bgood thing most my cruise clothes are all in a separate closet.

3 days in June of 2002 on Maasdam out of Fort Lauderdale- I was just checking on impulse - and immediately checked flights and found a cheap R/T from JFK - the cruise was dirt cheap - with no single supplement. Again on Maasdam out of Norfolk in February 2005 out of Norfolk - again dirt cheap 2 days in advance - I packed that evening and drove down the next day.

Three days prior was the shortest, we booked a three day Monarch of the Seas in December 2003.We got the last cabin on the ship and drove to Los Angeles to take the quicky cruise. Then we have four other cruises that were pretty close a two days prior to leaving on a December Eurodam cruise we decided to add the following week which was Christmas in 2008. Then our Statendam Panama Canal cruise we booked about 10 days prior in April 2009 we booked an Obstructed OV but with a next day after booking Upsell offer we ended up with a Vista Suite. Then in June 2009 we booked an Alaska cruise on the Westerdam about 10 days prior, also got a nice Upsell offer on that to a Neptune. Then I cannot forget about the 2nd Yum Yum Man Cruise that we also booked about 2 weeks prior and surprised everyone that thought we would not be able to make it. :)

Our first cruise we booked about 3 months beforehand.That cruise was to see if we would like a cruising holiday. We flew for almost 15 hours to reach Vancouver and the Volendam for a week to Alaska.

Since then we always book as soon as the itinerary we wish to cruise becomes available, so that we can have our preferred stateroom.

I've enjoyed reading all of the replies!! Wow ..... some of you sure book close to sailing!!!

Now that my dh will be retiring soon, I think I will be watching for super good, last minute deals. I've just always wondered just how quickly I can really pack if necessary.

We always travel really light. Each of us with a carry-on sized suitcase, and a smallish tote-sized bag. But it still does take time for me to get everything together that I want to bring.

I'm going to keep my list handy from packing for our last cruise, so at least I'll have that ready if I want to pack super quick!!

For two months, I had been at my daughter's who lives near Washington, DC. After helping out with my newborn granddaughter, I needed some "me time". I booked on Monday, flew home on Tuesday, unpacked and laundered clothes on Wednesday, re-packed on Thursday, and boarded the Westerdam on Friday for a quick 7 day cruise to Mexico. It was my first and only solo cruise, and it was heaven!

We booked 10 days before cruising 2 years ago. Finally got the OK from our doctor to travel, and found a fantastic deal on a 14 day S. Caribbean cruise on the Ryndam, at less than $700.00 per person for a OV. Great price for the cruise, but the flight! Yikes, so expensive - direct flight out of Seattle. So it all balanced out in the end.

We're going to repeat the same itinerary this year, cruise will be more, but it will be a balcony, but the flight will be a lot less. Like I said, it all balances out!

We always book well in advance so these stories are so interesting to me. I think the one about having one hour to pack for the cruise scared me the most though. I have nightmares about forgetting to pack and having to rush to do it all in an hour or so, then get right to the airport! Yep, that's a nightmare, alright!:D