Influenza on Princess getting worse?

Loreni

Since 2013 I have caught the flu on 4 out 5 Princess cruises. I wonder if the incidence of flu is increasing on Princess. Before 2013, I only took one cruise that lasted longer than a week or 10 days. It was a Hawaii cruise and my flu started the day we left Hawaii...just a few days after someone coughed directly in my face near the photo gallery. She did not cover her mouth and I could feel the spray on my face.

Since 2013, we began taking longer cruises and I have caught the flu at about 2.5 to three weeks into each cruise (except one). In once case, a woman with a hacking cough sat directly next to me on the promenad even though lots of empty chairs were available. I do visit the ships doctor and one said it tends to happen on longer cruises. So, this could be why I am getting sick more often than before.

But, it could also be the incidence of flu is increasing on Princess. When we first started cruising the letter from the doctor that is in the cabin only mentioned Noro. Now it mentions both Noro and the flu. This changed several years ago, but I don't recall exactly when.

By the way, the coughing person on the bus mentioned in the other thread should have cancelled her cruise if she had an infectious disease; she could enjoy her cruise and she put others at risk. Another good reason to have cruise insurance.

Edited by Loreni

We cruise 20-30 days in the Caribbean in January and February with no flu issues. We always get flu shots in the fall and wash our hands frequently while onboard and haven't had the flu in years.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

If you are truly getting the flu, you should be taking Tamiflu with you in addition to having a flu shot.

If recommended for your age, a pneumonia shot is also important.

Catching the flu has nothing to do with Princess. It has everything to do with a lot of people in a small space and many not caring that they are ill and could be spreading an illness. It's the 'all about me' generation - so don't expect anything to change any time soon.

I will say I used to get a cold/flu most every cruise we took in the beginning until I stopped going into the hot tubs. Haven't gotten sick since. I also don't touch handrails unless necessary. I use a knuckle to press elevator buttons and use the stateroom bathroom vs public bathrooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you getting flu shots? Are you really getting influenza, or are you picking up a common cold? There is certainly no correlation between your illnesses and Princess or any cruise line. I have been on many month long cruises with no illness.

For those who are wondering...a "common" cold gives you the sniffles and a cough and not much else. The flu gives you sniffles, a cough and you feel like c@*p. Aches, pains, malaise (don't want to get out of bed). The flu can and does lead to pneumonia in many who are elderly or susceptible. The common cold almost never leads to pneumonia.

The last time I had the flu (& it's been a while thanks to the flu vaccine), I stayed home from work for a week and still didn't feel 100% when I went back to work. The flu knocks you on your tushy.:eek:

It's everywhere, each year it seems some ships get it more then others.

It's here to stay for now.

Seems more on ships since they have to keep detailed records.

If you only knew how bad it was at resorts and on aircraft etc.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Are you getting flu shots? Are you really getting influenza, or are you picking up a common cold? There is certainly no correlation between your illnesses and Princess or any cruise line. I have been on many month long cruises with no illness.

Yes, I get flu shots. (Flu shots do not protect against all types of flu)

No, it isn't the common cold.

You cannot possibly be certain that there is no correlation. (Ship's Doctor thought there was and let's not forget the revised letter from the doctor that now mentions both noro AND influenza when it previously only warned about noro.

The first few times we sailed on Princess (in the 1990's) I got sick about 5 days out. I haven't had any problems for about 15 years now. I don't know if my immune system is better than it was (lot's of stress at work in the 90's) or the use of hand sanitizer. In any case I haven't had a problem cruising on Princess or any other line since the turn of the century.

When you get the flu or a flu shot, you get the flu strain prevalent in your region. When you travel, you're exposed to different strains as you're in contact or exposed to people from all over the world. Doesn't matter whether you're on a plane or cruise ship.

I'm allergic to hand sanitizer which does little to prevent anything since the flu and Noro are viruses. So, I wash my hands with soap constantly and enjoy being outdoors as much as possible rather than in enclosed spaces.

Quite right, Pam. The flu vaccination we had this year covered 4 strains but it didn't provide 100% immunity for our May cruise, as it was released late by the pharmaceutical company. One needs to receive the jab at least 6 weeks before your cruise.

As a result of the reduced immunity, my husband was down with the flu for a week. The medical centre was very thorough diagnosing him (x-rays, blood tests) and gave him a regimen of Tamiflu and later antibiotics. I escaped with just a sore throat for a day.

Wish Princess was more proactive on getting people to wash up before entering the horizon court. Last trip on the Regal people walked right past the wash station. Last year we were on RCCL and they Johnny on the spot with the hand sanitizer.

So, I wash my hands with soap constantly and enjoy being outdoors as much as possible rather than in enclosed spaces.

Staying outside is a good point. We used to get mini suites and basically "cocoon" when we weren't either dining or walking the outside promenad for exercise. Since the new balcony furniture arrived, it's been getting much harder to justify booking a balcony or mini.

I know you enjoy the Sanctuary. We have been very tempted to try it, but I enjoy being closer to the water on the nice shady promenad. Still, those Sanctuary loungers look very inviting and the Sanctuary never appears crowded, while the promenad can be. So I wonder if using the Sanctuary might offer some potential health benefits.

I'm not doctor -- and nor do I play one on TV -- but here's my 2 cents, which you can have for free:

1. As other people have noted, you can get sick anywhere.

2. Wash your hands to make your mother proud, and all that stuff...

3. (and this is my point:) If you've been taking the "common sense" type of precautions and you've been sick that frequently, it could be that you've got some kind of compromise to your immune system. Do you get sick often when you're not on cruises? I'd be wondering what's happening. Your body should be able to fight off most of this stuff if you're healthy.

We cruise several times during the flu season - neither of us has ever had the flu ......we do get flu shots in mid September to allow time for effectiveness...

Could be the original poster just has a lower immunity....

eclue:rolleyes:

It's everywhere, each year it seems some ships get it more then others.

It's here to stay for now.

Seems more on ships since they have to keep detailed records.

If you only knew how bad it was at resorts and on aircraft etc.

AFAIK they don't have to report flu. Only required to report Noro. Two different things.

Flu is an upper respiratory infection.

Noro is a GI infection.

Well, I do fly very often for business and don't get the flu. No problems found on routine blood work.

Yet, every time I have had the flu in the last ten years, it started on a Princess ship. I'm not saying it's unique to Princess or even to cruising, but I am getting tired of it. The close quarters that I experience on the ship are quite different from my everyday life, but don't seem that much different than what one would find in an airport or on a plane. Maybe what is different is the extended time period - measured in days or weeks, not hours.

Also it is very curious that the letter from the Princess doctor now mentions both the flu and Noro when in the past it only mentioned Noro. Why would Princess change the letter? Must be some reason.

I do take normal precautions. Sometimes I touch the handrails. Sometimes I touch the elevator buttons. Always wash with soap before eating.

The problem seems to only happen in long cruises. My next cruise will be my first 1 week cruise in nearly six years, so I have my fingers crossed.

Edited by Loreni

I'm not doctor -- and nor do I play one on TV -- but here's my 2 cents, which you can have for free:

1. As other people have noted, you can get sick anywhere.

2. Wash your hands to make your mother proud, and all that stuff...

3. (and this is my point:) If you've been taking the "common sense" type of precautions and you've been sick that frequently, it could be that you've got some kind of compromise to your immune system. Do you get sick often when you're not on cruises? I'd be wondering what's happening. Your body should be able to fight off most of this stuff if you're healthy.

Sorry way to early in the thread for common-sense.:)

Please try again later.;)

When you get the flu or a flu shot, you get the flu strain prevalent in your region. When you travel, you're exposed to different strains as you're in contact or exposed to people from all over the world. Doesn't matter whether you're on a plane or cruise ship.

I'm allergic to hand sanitizer which does little to prevent anything since the flu and Noro are viruses. So, I wash my hands with soap constantly and enjoy being outdoors as much as possible rather than in enclosed spaces.

Pam,

As always, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. You can get the flu shot, but there are so many different stains...plus I have heard there is also different strains due to others coming into US from other areas.