Royal Caribbean "Dining Woes"

johnjen

On our last cruise with Anthem (it'll be our last on the larger dynamic dining system), we once again ended up not getting our dining choice where we wanted to be seated at a large table. We were seated ourselves as a couple, with zero interaction with anyone else; we like the idea of meeting new people for dinner.

So now we're booked on Brilliance next year; a smaller ship. When we booked this cruise, we voiced our concerns to the agent on Anthem; she affirmed we were being situated at a large table, ten or less, early dining. We were happy.

Just yesterday I went to look at our reservations - they were changed to "your time dining." When I called to ask what happened, I was told that early dining was fully booked...??? When I explained we were originally booked for early dining at a large table he told me we never actually were.

In case you haven't noticed - couples are usually rushed through the meal while the larger tables are allowed to take their grand old time - we miss that.

The best method of handling this - do I just write a letter, or continue to talk on the phone, addressing my concerns? The excuse that "larger groups booked get the larger tables" tells me that, regardless of how far you book from the date of the cruise, couples are set aside to tables for two, while the larger groups get the higher precedence.

I would try to get on the wait list for early traditional dining. If that does not work, I would go to the MDR as soon as you board and try to move to traditional dining at that time. It may take until the second night, but they will do what they can to move you.

In case you haven't noticed - couples are usually rushed through the meal while the larger tables are allowed to take their grand old time - we miss that.

While I too like the larger tables, I'm not noticed this point. I've found early dining gets rushed more and 2nd seating can take their time. Our last cruise on Oasis we had late seating, requested a large table, were given a table for 2 that was close to another table for 2, so at least we got to know another couple, but we were in now way rushed.

On our last cruise with Anthem (it'll be our last on the larger dynamic dining system), we once again ended up not getting our dining choice where we wanted to be seated at a large table. We were seated ourselves as a couple, with zero interaction with anyone else; we like the idea of meeting new people for dinner.

So now we're booked on Brilliance next year; a smaller ship. When we booked this cruise, we voiced our concerns to the agent on Anthem; she affirmed we were being situated at a large table, ten or less, early dining. We were happy.

Just yesterday I went to look at our reservations - they were changed to "your time dining." When I called to ask what happened, I was told that early dining was fully booked...??? When I explained we were originally booked for early dining at a large table he told me we never actually were.

The best method of handling this - do I just write a letter, or continue to talk on the phone, addressing my concerns? The excuse that "larger groups booked get the larger tables" tells me that, regardless of how far you book from the date of the cruise, couples are set aside to tables for two, while the larger groups get the higher precedence.

I would send an email to the maitre d' about two weeks prior to sailing. We do this every cruise (we actually ask for a table for two).

For Brilliance it should be: <br_restaurantoperationscoordinator@rccl.com>;

I cannot imagine a situation on a traditional dining set up ship where they would not get you switched to what you want. Yes it may take until night 2, but they will do what you're asking. I've had plenty of situations where I've needed changes and they have always been accommodated. I would not worry and I wouldn't even worry if I didn't email ahead of time.

Edited by MattInFLL

Thanks all for the advice. We've just been let down on Anthem, ended up dining alone the entire cruise but we didn't know their dining setup is different, so the smaller ship idea came up but we were told we had one thing and ended up with this. That's the frustrating part. At least, we are going. Another thing, perhaps it's too early before the cruise, maybe they haven't even set up the dining properly yet. All things considered so we shall see. I wrote a letter to customer service last night to see what happens. Was cordial but to the point. Either way, we'll enjoy ourselves on our first Med!

Thanks all for the advice. We've just been let down on Anthem, ended up dining alone the entire cruise but we didn't know their dining setup is different, so the smaller ship idea came up but we were told we had one thing and ended up with this. That's the frustrating part. At least, we are going. Another thing, perhaps it's too early before the cruise, maybe they haven't even set up the dining properly yet. All things considered so we shall see. I wrote a letter to customer service last night to see what happens. Was cordial but to the point. Either way, we'll enjoy ourselves on our first Med!

I just noticed your sailing is almost a year away. I'm quite certain they will NOT have the dining finalized at this point. I'm also not sure if you will be assured of anything by anybody at RCCL until after final payment date.

Edited by ronandannette

The irony here is we finally switched to MTD after two consecutive cruises sitting alone at large tables. To top it off, we still met some very nice people nearby while sitting at two tops. For us the lesson learned was large tables won't guarantee meeting new people.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

In case you do get stuck w/ MTD, it may work out for you. I've only had it on the Allure, but I would imagine it would be similar on all ships. We went with our family (8 total) but one night my husband and I decided to eat on our own w/out a reservation. They offered a large table w/ others to avoid a wait and we were sat at a 10 person table w/ a group of people from all walks...and I really enjoyed it. I think the beauty of MTD is that you can get different groups every night and enjoy meeting all new people or you can choose to just sit alone if you guys don't feel like socializing one night.

Just food for thought in case they can't get you in to early traditional :)

This happened to us on the Anthem as well last December. We requested 6-8 top which we had no problem secuing on every other cruise. However, on our first night on Anthen at the Grande we were seated a table for 2, inches away from another table of 2... a young Mom and her 8-10 year old daughter. It was pretty uncomfortable and felt awkward. My husband and I left the dining room without eating, saw the maitre'd who was upset that we were disapponted and assured us that they would make different arrangements the next evening and rest of cruise. Sure enough, we received a call the next day that we would be seated with two other couples who did not know each other prior to the cruise and also about our ages, so it all turned out well. Great time with them.

So, my suggestion would be to always make your feelings known and hopefully any issue will be resolved. Also, since then, I have contacted RC twice already about our next cruise making sure they had us at a large table in April. I love my husband, but really enjoy meeting and getting to know other people too! I think he likes the break from me, too :D

Edited by sha88

The best method is simple. Take your business elsewhere.

Good advice.

I cannot imagine a situation on a traditional dining set up ship where they would not get you switched to what you want. Yes it may take until night 2, but they will do what you're asking. I've had plenty of situations where I've needed changes and they have always been accommodated. I would not worry and I wouldn't even worry if I didn't email ahead of time.

The real question is why should the customer have to do all the work? Especially since they were clear on what they wanted from start and were assured that was what they would get.

I just noticed your sailing is almost a year away. I'm quite certain they will NOT have the dining finalized at this point. I'm also not sure if you will be assured of anything by anybody at RCCL until after final payment date.

And then one is likely to get the inarguable excuse "the computer will not let me do that."