Will we have access to our room upon boarding?

Abtfree

I understand our luggage won't be there immediately, but, will we have access to our room once we board? Going on RCI.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It will depend on what time you actually board the ship.

Typically, the hallways to the cabins will be closed until 1pm, as the cabins are still being cleaned from the sailing before you.

in general

it depends on when you board

IME most cruise lines advise that rooms will not be ready until around 1:30 and you should plan accordingly. On some lines this means PHYSICAL BARRIERS like locked doors to the corridors ... not just 'suggestions' or 'requests'.

Since many want to be first on board to get "the most fun" .... they should expect rooms will not be ready. OTOH arriving at the pier at 1PM usually means a rapid checkin and you can then go directly to your room.

But I speak 'in general' and there can be many reasons for things to be different .... ESPECIALLY if the disembark process was delayed for any reason or there is need for 'special cleaning' .......

on dd's last cruise she was not off the ship until almost noon and was far from the last to leave .... dunno what the problem was but it was WAY slow, I was waiting over 2 hours with many others there for pickup. They certainly can't even BEGIN boarding until everyone is off from previous trip . .

on son's last cruise there were signs when we arrived at the terminal that boarding would be delayed 3 hours ..... we went out to lunch and came back later . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

Just go to the dining area or upper decks. They have to deliver around 5000 pieces of luggage to rooms and you really don't need to be in the way. If they clear you to go, wait until your luggage arrives if it hasn't already, don't call the Steward asking whee it is because he wont know

The stewards need time to clean the cabins. Think about it: people get off and the people get on the ship the same day. Between that time, every single cabin must be cleaned. It takes some time. So, if you board early, prepare to wait for your room to be ready. Or, board late and it will be ready when you board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I understand our luggage won't be there immediately, but, will we have access to our room once we board? Going on RCI.

As this is specific to RCI because that is your cruise line this time, the answer is that the cabins open to everyone at either 1 or 1:30 (I have experienced both times during our cruises). If you board before they are open, you will need to keep your carry-ons with you. You cannot just drop them in the cabin and then leave - the fire doors to the hallways are closed and passengers are not permitted to their cabins unless they are consecutive cruisers (meaning they sailed the previous cruise and are on this one too).

You can enjoy a buffet lunch in the Windjammer before this and explore the ship. When the fire doors are opened, you are welcome to go to your cabin.

Have fun. :)

or else Sail posted a reply and then changed her mind about what she had typed (she edited her post)

Yes, When I eliminfted the worfs I hssf typed, I had to eenter charactgers s in order to post the blank.

Edited by sail7seas

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure which ship you're on but we've done 3 RCL cruises ( Oasis of the Seas and two on the Navigator) and thirteen cruises on CCL. All of them politely asked for all to wait till 2pm before checking into their cabin. With a 12:30 pm boarding it was just the perfect chance to check out the afternoon lunch offer till 2pm. We still didn't get all of our luggage till 4pm.. :)

Just make sure you have your sun screen in your carry on bag and not your checked bag. On our first cruise my wife got fried the first day walking/sitting on deck waiting to sail away. We didn't get our luggage for a couple hours after we could enter our room.