Travel agent charging a processing fee to book cruise

I have run across a popular online travel agency that has a nice set up and is easy to use. However, when you go through the booking processing there is a $24.99 for booking the cruise.

After some search on the internet there seems to be a lot of bad reviews of the agency that the company is not addressing. I am not going to mention the agency name since that are other people’s opinions and not mine.

Is this a common practice? This thread might generate some negative responses but I do think it should be addressed. The others post about this are a number of years ago. I see no recent posts.

The fee is not a cancellation fee which I can understand; it clearly states it is a processing fee. Are travel agents not paid a commission by the cruise line? I do know how little they get and it is only after the trip is completed.

The cruise rates on the site are not really any lower and the perks are about the same as some others that do not charge a fee.

I do understand the benefits of using a travel agent. I would never waste a travel agents time. I would do all my research ahead of time and know exactly what I want before I even contact an agent.

Please don't respond with just saying "use a different agency that does not charge a fee". Also do not post any recommendations of an agent. That is not allowed.

This post is about what people think the benefits may be of having a fee or not. Thanks!

yes it can be charged by the TA if they choose

You have a choice whether to pay it or not

Some discount places may not make much commission so this is their guarantee they make something on your booking

Read the fine print on their website to see if they also charge a cancellation or change fee in addition to what the cruise lines charge

Some will take away perks if you ask for a new " price drop " price

That's new to me. I've never heard of that and I've been cruising since 2000.

Anyway I don't go with any TA that charge any fees ~ cancellation, change or booking. There are plenty out there that don't.

There are many T/A's that charge fees not charged by the cruise line for booking, modifying, or canceling a cruise. This is extra money to their pockets as they are also paid a booking commission by the cruise lines. For this reason I would avoid these T/A's, regardless of perks offered. (As those come out of their commissions if not also offered by the cruise line and this might be a way to mitigate that).

There are also many who do not do this and those are the ones I would use. Just ask questions about their policies before you book.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I have run across a popular online travel agency that has a nice set up and is easy to use. However, when you go through the booking processing there is a $24.99 for booking the cruise.

This post is about what people think the benefits may be of having a fee or not. Thanks!

There can be NO conceivable benefits to the consumer for simply having to pay a fee.

If the fee provides a service not provided by other agencies, then those services would be the benefit. Of course, an intelligent consumer will explore various options before paying any fee: such as booking directly with the line, talking with bricks and mortar agents, and checking out a few on line options.

Quite some years ago i was a member of a popular motor club and i went there to get a brocure on carnival. Mind you I had already picked the ship, date and even what cabin i would like by myself. While i was there they asked if i would like them to check for any discounts or extras , so i said sure. They came up with the exact same price and zero extras. She then asked that since it was already pulled up on her screen if shed like to book it, i said ok. Everything seemed ok till i got a bill for just under $150 from them as a booking fee. I questioned them about it since i was never told there would be a fee. This fee was in addition to the annual fees i already pay. Needless to say i had them cancel the booking and just went back online and book it all myself. The next year i canceled my membeship and everythings been A-A-A OK.

Quite some years ago i was a member of a popular motor club and i went there to get a brocure on carnival. Mind you I had already picked the ship, date and even what cabin i would like by myself. While i was there they asked if i would like them to check for any discounts or extras , so i said sure. They came up with the exact same price and zero extras. She then asked that since it was already pulled up on her screen if shed like to book it, i said ok. Everything seemed ok till i got a bill for just under $150 from them as a booking fee. I questioned them about it since i was never told there would be a fee. This fee was in addition to the annual fees i already pay. Needless to say i had them cancel the booking and just went back online and book it all myself. The next year i canceled my membeship and everythings been A-A-A OK.

Interesting, my auto club travel agency didn't charge us a fee to use them as our agent.

We have used on line TA's for years. Never heard of this before. We will only deal with, and we check, with TA's that do not charge for re-fares, cabin changes, cancellations, etc.

Never heard of this before. We certainly would not deal with a TA that did this. No reason since there are competitors that do not.

Hi there

There are apparently many TA that charge booking fees. You have of course the option of choosing someone else.

The agency that we had used for many years changed hands and they put in place a $40 fee. This is for all bookings not just cruises.

I had in the past often booked while I was on the cruise and would transfer the booking to them. They do still get a commission from the cruise line. They said even if I did that I would still have to pay the fee. That was the last time I used them.

y.........

Some will take away perks if you ask for a new " price drop " price

Depends on how the perks came about. Sometimes it's because you're cancelling the old fare and rebooking at the new fare. Other times the new fare isn't eligible for the group rate the TA has.

Hi there

There are apparently many TA that charge booking fees. You have of course the option of choosing someone else.

The agency that we had used for many years changed hands and they put in place a $40 fee. This is for all bookings not just cruises.

I had in the past often booked while I was on the cruise and would transfer the booking to them. They do still get a commission from the cruise line. They said even if I did that I would still have to pay the fee. That was the last time I used them.

Be careful booking onboard. Many times the booked onboard cruise will revert to whatever TA you used to book the current cruise.

We usually book with the cruise line then look for TA perks. Usually transferring to a big box C store a few weeks before final payment.

Edited by SadieN

We have used on line TA's for years. Never heard of this before. We will only deal with, and we check, with TA's that do not charge for re-fares, cabin changes, cancellations, etc.

Never heard of this before. We certainly would not deal with a TA that did this. No reason since there are competitors that do not.

Agree 100% wouldn't pay any fees. I would check the reviews on your TA

We can and have booked directly through the cruise lines, although, many times we have received some incredible perks from the service we have used for many years now - wish I could mention her here

It is also much easier to call her than go through ques and be on hold with a Cruise Line with questions, upgrades, and she has also helped when fares have dropped before the cruise.

Also, if you "shop" many have great perks, and a bottle of bubbly from her when we board :D

Travel agent (almost) always have the option of charging a fee. My TA charges those who have unreasonable demands but never charges her established clients or those she thinks will follow through. With all the tire kicking that goes on in today's cruise business, I would not be surprized if a fee becomes standard. TA's will be gone in 10 years - except for the wealthy. Southwest Airlines only sell on their own website now.

Depends on how the perks came about. Sometimes it's because you're cancelling the old fare and rebooking at the new fare. Other times the new fare isn't eligible for the group rate the TA has.

Be careful booking onboard. Many times the booked onboard cruise will revert to whatever TA you used to book the current cruise.

We usually book with the cruise line then look for TA perks. Usually transferring to a big box C store a few weeks before final payment.

Some of the cruise lines have a relatively short window to transfer your booking to a TA. Best to ask the policy before you book

Well, they gotta make up the lost revenue they incur by giving you those good rates.

But the OP specified that the rate (and perks) were about the same

The cruise rates on the site are not really any lower and the perks are about the same as some others that do not charge a fee.

Thanks!

To answer your question, there is no benefit to paying the fee in the example cited.

Ten years or so when booking my first cruise I had no idea where to start so I picked a TA who is very popular big online. Got an agent and they charge the same 24.99 fee. Had a wonderful time. Fast forward till today with the internet and this wonderful board. Have read some OLD bad reviews on the agency but I still call and ask for the same agent and still pay the 24.99 fee because he has always answered all my questions, called me back in a timely manor, called me about price drops, and explained a lot of how things work over the years. Maybe I just got lucky.

We have bought booked more then 100 cruises through various agencies and never pay a fee. One of our agents started charging fees and we ceased doing business with them. Given that we are now cruising about 100 days a year, we think that agency lost a lot of commission dollars. My advice is to shop around for good agencies that can save you money..and do not charge fees.

Hank

• 1 year later...

After some search on the internet there seems to be a lot of bad reviews of the agency that the company is not addressing. I am not going to mention the agency name since that are other people’s opinions and not mine.

Is this a common practice? This thread might generate some negative responses but I do think it should be addressed. The others post about this are a number of years ago. I see no recent posts.

The fee is not a cancellation fee which I can understand; it clearly states it is a processing fee. Are travel agents not paid a commission by the cruise line? I do know how little they get and it is only after the trip is completed.

I do understand the benefits of using a travel agent. I would never waste a travel agents time. I would do all my research ahead of time and know exactly what I want before I even contact an agent.

Please don't respond with just saying "use a different agency that does not charge a fee". Also do not post any recommendations of an agent. That is not allowed.

Not bad. THere is an agency I have dealt with that advertises itself as having the lowest prices guaranteed. When you find a lower price, they will charge you $100 (in addition to any charge by the cruise line) to make the change. It is basically a cancellation fee. So their guarantee of the lowest price doesn't mean anything if you could have gotten a lower price later from another agency. I now deal with an online clearing house where you request quotes and various travel agencies respond with quotes and you then pick the one that seems the best deal. Most agencies quoting on this clearing house do not charge any agency cancellation fees. Do your homework and avoid agencies that charge cancellation or booking fees. It's a rip.