Cancellation, no insurance, no refund, WHAT?

Riemercruisin

Question.

A family member is supposed to cruise in 2 weeks. Now him and his wife can't go because she needs to undergo a medical procedure.

They only have medical insurance, not cancellation insurance.

Naturally they will face a 100% penalty.

I advised them to be a no show, so they can at least get their port fees back.

But he tells me he really want a confirmation from Carnival that he cancelled the trip.

Why would he need a confirmation if his insurance won't cover the cost?

Can Carnival send him a cancellation after he's a no show?

Question.

A family member is supposed to cruise in 2 weeks. Now him and his wife can't go because she needs to undergo a medical procedure.

But he tells me he really want a confirmation from Carnival that he cancelled the trip.

Without insurance he is pretty much out of luck. That said I wouldn't be just a no show. Call and cancel. CCCL is under no obligation to refund anything but you never know what they might do.

Have the doctor or hospital provide a letter and see if Carnival will allow them to cancel the cruise and reschedule it for a later date...they might not give them a 100% return, but even if all they forfeit is 50%, that's something.

I had to cancel our very first cruise, 17 days before sailing.

This was on NCL, but we did get our port charges and I think it was 25% of the fare back.

We did have insurance, so we got the rest back from the insurance company.

Usually the sooner you call to cancel, the better off you are with any sort of refund.

And be sure to check with their credit card company. If they paid for the cruise with a credit card, some have trip insurance built in. We once had to cancel a cruise the day before sailing, and our credit card company gave us a full refund.

Bob

Have the doctor or hospital provide a letter and see if Carnival will allow them to cancel the cruise and reschedule it for a later date...they might not give them a 100% return, but even if all they forfeit is 50%, that's something.

Makes me wonder why I buy insurance every time. :rolleyes:

OP, they will get port fees back.

OP, as others have said they get the port fees back even if they call and cancel. If they call and cancel there is a chance the cabin can still be sold and maybe CCL will be nice and refund some of the fare also. In addition to the port fees they will receive a refund of Fun Shop purchases, pre-paid gratuities and excursions.

Question.

Medical procedure means what? Minor? Major? Is it something that can be done at a later date? Medical insurance. Are you talking regular health insurance or a special policy he purchased?

50+ cruises - never bought insurance and never needed it:D

OP

Please come back and update

Your 50 against the literal thousands of people posting they wish they had and the millions who did purchase and loved the extra security it provided...... I like the odds.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You didn't say which type of cruise this was (length, location, etc.), but here is Carnival's cancellation policy from the Cruise Contract. You said they have to cancel for a cruise in 2 weeks. So maybe there is still time to get 25% of their fare back? They should cancel ASAP in that case. Also, have them check their booking in case they or their TA opted for Carnivals insurance and they didn't realize that. (That point is a long shot, but doesn't hurt to ask.)

6-9 day cruises (excluding: Alaska, Europe, Transatlantic and Panama Canal cruises)

Up to 76 days

None (except Pack & Go, Early Saver* and Super Saver fares**)

75 to 56 days

Deposit

55 to 30 days

Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

29 to 15 days

Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

14 days or less

100% of Total Fare

Maggie

Edited by maggieworkman

Makes me wonder why I buy insurance every time. :rolleyes:

OP, they will get port fees back.

Personally I'd rather know that I was going to get it back rather than hope that I'll get it back depending upon the mood of the person at the other end.

OP

Consider yourself lucky. 25+ cruises, 2 claims due to medical. Money well spent. Husband used to complain about buying it until we needed it.

Depending on the medical procedure.. will his dr give him a clearance to go?

I had rotator cuff/bone shaving and etc and went on a 5 day cruise bandage/sling and all five days after the surgery too.

Made the best of it... Yes it was painful.. yes I made lemonade out of all those lemons..

Consider yourself lucky. 25+ cruises, 2 claims due to medical. Money well spent. Husband used to complain about buying it until we needed it.

We follow the opposite approach - If we had purchased for every cruise we would be out more money that the cost of two cancellations. It is called "self insurance" ...

But everyone has different risk tolerances and mitigation strategies ...

Depending on the medical procedure.. will his dr give him a clearance to go?

I had rotator cuff/bone shaving and etc and went on a 5 day cruise bandage/sling and all five days after the surgery too.

Made the best of it... Yes it was painful.. yes I made lemonade out of all those lemons..

Some Gin or Vodka with that lemonade would have helped with the pain.:):D

OP

What naive thinking. You think, all your "success" has anything to do with the future?? Your- "never needed it" numbers- were NOT known until after.

We follow the opposite approach - If we had purchased for every cruise we would be out more money that the cost of two cancellations. It is called "self insurance" ...

Self insurance is indeed an option. I can't self-insure because I don't have $20k-50k just sitting around that could be used for a medevac.

Insurance is not only for the cruise fare refund. If you get hurt or sick on the cruise or in port, that can be thousands of dollars.

Not a risk I'm willing to take for sure.

It's not the cruise fare that's the issue. It's the risk of an evac out or flown back to the states that the big money comes in. You can always think it will never happen to you but fact is it happens to someone and those people never think it will be them. Self insuring for the cruise portion is actually pretty smart as long as you are in good health because the cost of cancel for any reason insurance is high and if you typically book cheap cruises, insurance cost can wipe out any benefit quickly.

Buying trip health insurance is cheap and that is money well invested. For a few hundred dollars I can get medical trip insurance to cover our whole family for a year with no deductible and it will cover every trip we take. If we only take one or two I can spend less than $50-$100 on med insurance with buying single trip plans. A single broken bone or accident, or even an illness where you have to see the ship doctor and get iv fluids makes years of that insurance pay for itself. You dont' even need a major accident or illness to make it worth while.

Self insurance is indeed an option. I can't self-insure because I don't have $20k-50k just sitting around that could be used for a medevac.

This is the only reason I get travel insurance. My credit card travel insurance covers me for trip cancellation/interruption as long as I put a portion of the trip on the card. My health insurance covers me on the boat and in foreign ports. The only thing that isn't covered is medevac, so I get a policy (it was ~$30 for two people this time) to cover that need specifically. It would take a lot of trips at $30 to make up the cost of a single medevac flight.