Do you lock your checked luggage?

ElizabethE26

The thieves have the same key as the TSA does.

Yep -- I have no illusions about someone who really wanted to get into my hard-side Samsonite with TSA locks being able to do so. I just want to make it harder for them -- my 'due diligence', and all that....:cool:

I don't really expect a response but, who would be slipping what into your bag and even if they did, how would they find the bag again to retrieve that mystery item?

I KNOW you won't get a response, but nowadays I think the mystery item could be an explosive device, etc.. That was what I thought of first, and whomever might put such a thing in your luggage would not be coming back to retrieve it. :eek:

I'll be traveling with Carnival in a few months and was wondering if it's okay to lock my luggage. I prefer to keep my belongings secure, and don't plan on getting my luggage flagged, but don't want any problems either. Do you typically lock your luggage?

Yes, we do.

I'll be traveling with Carnival in a few months and was wondering if it's okay to lock my luggage. I prefer to keep my belongings secure, and don't plan on getting my luggage flagged, but don't want any problems either. Do you typically lock your luggage?

I just retired with almost 30 years with a major airline ( 20 years of them as a baggage handler [customer support agent] was the glorified tittle. :) But I'm sure many dissatisfied customer called us many other unprintable names. But, I digress, Locks, are really good for ONE thing, keeping you bag CLOSED. Fully 30-40%of bags are soft-sided and IF a thief had a good butter knife he could cut it open plus bags do take some minor abuse (thrown on and off moving mechanical belts and bag carts, bags do take some stress that can weaken the seams and the only reason I lock a suitcase is, hopefully, to keep my clothes inside.The soft sided ones usually aren't 'waterproof' and most aren't even water resistant so locks will possibly keep your 'unmentionables' from being strewn all over a bag room the size of a football field. Many times I've had to try and cram 40 pounds of clothes into a man's suite bag, because when the bag slide down the belt and dropped into my work belt it literally EXPLODED. Like one of the blogs above stated, IF a thief wants your bag, one way or another, he'll find a way. So if you use a lock and it gives 'peace of mind' then its well worth the purchase. Truthfully the only reason I lock my bag is to make sure my underwear stays IN my bag. :)

If you use TSA-approved locks (which are readily available in the UK) then they can be opened/reclosed if needed, because the security people have master keys. Often ours are not put back on, or possibly just cut off anyway. Annoying.

Not all security personnel have keys, besides it's probably more fun for them to cut the lock off :eek::p;)

Luggage locks do not keep honest people out of other people's suitcases. They are not theieves. The silly litle luggagbe locks don't keep put a determined thief. they are so easy to by pass.

We now have hard-case suitcases with TSA approved locks. We lock them and put a colorful strap around for easier identification. We hope that both keep out casual thieves who are under time constraints.

My old soft case suitcases without strap had been opened twice over the years without the TSA information inside. Both times, nothing was stolen, but a piece of really cheap hair jewelry in gift wrap was taken out and thrown back, gift wrap ripped. The second time, my (silent and cheap!) alarm clock was thrown back into the case. The rest of the stuff looked undisturbed. Travel alarm clock now goes into the carry-on with the other valuables and necessities. It's not valuable, but its loss would be annoying.

IMO, however I would prefer using a deterrent to not using any deterrent, in the hope that everything that I packed in my luggage will still be there when I retrieve my luggage from the baggage carousel.

I suppose it depends what's inside. With what's in my suitcase, I suspect that if the thief can open it easily he will take a quick look and decide to leave it all behind. I can't think of anything in my suitcase that is worth anything to a third party. If I don't let the thief take a quick look, he might walk off with the whole case before dumping it in the canal.

I always lock both my checked bag and carry on with a lock and or zip ties. Here are a couple of reasons why.

I remember reading of a Cruise Critic poster stating that their laptop was take while asleep on the plane.

Shak

http://petergreenberg.com/2016/08/22/know-theft-on-airplanes/

http://nypost.com/2014/08/22/fit-student-discovers-her-luggage-filled-with-cocaine/

According to Donald Trump 97.637% of all TSA employees are thieves or incompetent .. that's how many..

And it will get worse if Donald's in charge and decides their not doing a "good" job and won't pay them ;)

We never lock our suitcases . We never have anything of value in our suitcases.

Regardless.....Most of us don't...but I for one feel it just might dissuade someone from pawing through it...my locked bag sitting next to an unlocked bag...which one is more of a target ;)

Regardless.....Most of us don't...but I for one feel it just might dissuade someone from pawing through it...my locked bag sitting next to an unlocked bag...which one is more of a target ;)

The locked bag. It is more likely to appear to have something of value in it - which is why most people would lock their luggage in the first place. If I were a thief, and there were two bags, one unlocked and one locked, no way would I expect the unlocked one to have something worth stealing in it. The one the owner is trying to keep me out of? Now that one would be tempting.

Edited by sloopsailor