would you let 3 teenage girls....

Liza555

Can you find someone on your roll call that is going on the same excursion and ask if they will be willing to help your daughters should something out of the norm occur.

They are old enough to think for themselves and are old enough to be out in the world on their own. But there are numerous factors that come in to play (foreign country, unfamiliar territory etc). I would think a ship excursion is fine. But having some adults on the same tour that they can approach if need be might be a way to ease any concerns.

Obviously the 3 girls need to be responsible enough to not have to be babysat by the people you ask to help out!

I'm pretty sure that a lot of 18 and 19 year olds live on their own and are responsible for themselves. I'm surprised at the number of people who would not allow it. I went on a (school) trip to Mexico at 13 and we were allowed time to go through the markets in pairs, unsupervised.

I have been living on my own since I was 18. These "kids" are adults. They need to learn to make appropriate decisions for themselves.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of 18 and 19 year olds live on their own and are responsible for themselves. I'm surprised at the number of people who would not allow it. I went on a (school) trip to Mexico at 13 and we were allowed time to go through the markets in pairs, unsupervised.

I have been living on my own since I was 18. These "kids" are adults. They need to learn to make appropriate decisions for themselves.

Have you ever heard of Natalie Hollaway?

I agree with this to a great extent. My children were all very competent adults by 19 and 20. However, I would strongly discourage them from leaving the shopping area in Jamaica as we had a very bad experience on a ship sponsored Excursion. I am usually very comfortable in many situations including downtown areas at night but this really actually unnerved me.

I have a daughter and there is no way I would. Grand Cayman maybe, but the other 3 islands absolutely not. Just too dangerous in my opinion, Jamaica more so than the others.

I'm with you on this. Why chance it.

In Jamaica two cab drivers tried to separate the girls from the guys. May have been nothing but who knows. I wasn't willing to chance it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I was younger than nine, I was free to wander around marinas in any country we visited, find children on other boats, play all day, and had to be back to our boat by nautical twilight (end of sunset, time to start heading back). After my ninth birthday, I was allowed to go outside the marinas, wander around foreign countries where I didn't speak the language, passport in my pocket, still subject to the rule that I had to be back to our boat before nautical twilight. I saw more than forty countries this way before puberty. If I had been subjected to the paranoia which seems to be evidenced in this thread, I cannot imagine how I ever would have managed to grow up into a responsible adult. Was I offered drugs at age nine? Of course. So what? Children need to be given enough freedom to make mistakes. That's how they learn and become capable adults.

Would you allow 3 girls ages 16, 19 and 20 get off of the ship on their own and do shore excursions purchased either through the ship or someplace like shoretrips?? Ports are Jamaica, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Costa Maya

The 19 & 20 aged are probably off at college doing as they wish. The one 16 would be fine going with the older two.

Jamaica is the least safe of your ports of call so do hope they will pick something through the cruise ship in Jamaica.

I traveled to Europe alone at 16, flew from DC to Luxemburg... found my way to train station and took the train to the Netherlands were I stayed with grandparents for several weeks. When I was 20 my sister and I would go drinking in DC and stay out late and go to after hours parties. Walked down dark streets in Georgetown at 2am. I look back at that now and realize how lucky I was.

Things have changed, I did not have to worry about drugs being slipped into my drink. Perhaps I should have, but I think I had a guardian angel who kept me from serious harm.

I think Jamaica is just too dangerous. The other places less so, but I would still be hesitant to let them go off on their own. It is a difficult balance... people have to learn to take care of themselves and they will never learn... but are these the places to do that?

When I was younger than nine, I was free to wander around marinas in any country we visited, find children on other boats, play all day, and had to be back to our boat by nautical twilight (end of sunset, time to start heading back). After my ninth birthday, I was allowed to go outside the marinas, wander around foreign countries where I didn't speak the language, passport in my pocket, still subject to the rule that I had to be back to our boat before nautical twilight. I saw more than forty countries this way before puberty. If I had been subjected to the paranoia which seems to be evidenced in this thread, I cannot imagine how I ever would have managed to grow up into a responsible adult. Was I offered drugs at age nine? Of course. So what? Children need to be given enough freedom to make mistakes. That's how they learn and become capable adults.

And I did too, I was allowed out until the street lights went on. I rode my bike everywhere, I played on the rail road tracks, :eek: Yep, I did.

It is a different world today, it is not the 60's anymore. I had a wonderful childhood and I was very , very lucky. No cell phones, no way to reach me and no, my parents did not always know where I was.

Our 22 year old son was mugged in Curacao on his college grad cruise in full view of other passengers, fishermen, and locals. He was right across the bridge for those who know the area. We stopped for a beer, and he was mugged 50 feet from us.

We do not live in fear, or travel in fear. We travel smart. Many on here need to learn that. Today's young adults are usually not aware of the dangers, or think nothing will happen to them. JMHO.

I see your concern but at 18 and 20 is it your decision? The 16 year old absolutely your call. I am 38 and I went to Disney on my own w friends at 18. I also went to Bahamas at 18 w friends and a friends mom and made a risky choice that could have gotten me killed because the friends mom was treating us like children and we decided to rebel. My point is while I 110% understand your concern just be careful with the words you choose when talking to them about the decision. I was the girl who always listened and no one would ever think would ever sneak off. Yet I did just to prove I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree....organized tours are one thing...wandering on their own with no real purpose is asking for trouble.

There are several good independent tour companies that I would trust. Shore Trips, Shore Excursioneer, Coral Breeze all have good reputations. When in doubt you can go with the ship tours, but no way would I turn them loose on their own. On Coz the gals are safe with a male companion. No chaperone and they are considered fair game. I won't get off the ship in Jamaica or Belize without a tour and I am a 6' 230 lbs. male.

Edited by clackey

If these "kids" are responsible then they should be fine. I would "supervise" the excursions they plan to do. I do have to say the Jamaica is the ONLY port I have been to that gave me the creeps and that was being on a "ship excursion". After coming back we walk the port area and decided to head back to the ship as we didn't like the "vibe"

We talked to my husband's son who was asked to go down an back area to buy "dope". So just education them on the areas they are going to go.

My sister and I at 12 and 16 were left at home for a week. Although we did have an "neighbor" watch over us. But never checked in and my sister had her driver's license. But we where given rules on where we could go and what we could do. My parents did call and check up on us.

Would you allow 3 girls ages 16, 19 and 20 get off of the ship on their own and do shore excursions purchased either through the ship or someplace like shoretrips?? Ports are Jamaica, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Costa Maya

The 2 older ones are college aged. If the 2 older ones are responsible then I don't see the issue with them going on a ship excursion with the 16 year old.

Ship excursion MAYBE.

Independently NO,NO,NO and One more NO for good measure.

The young adults might be trustworthy and sufficiently mature enough, but the people they come in contact with may not be.

So its not always the young adults that are the problem.

Edited by mrs and mrs

And I did too, I was allowed out until the street lights went on. I rode my bike everywhere, I played on the rail road tracks, :eek: Yep, I did.

It is a different world today, it is not the 60's anymore. I had a wonderful childhood and I was very , very lucky. No cell phones, no way to reach me and no, my parents did not always know where I was.

Overall, the world is a much safer place for tourists than it was in the 1960s. Some places have become worse, but most places are much better. In the 1960s, most crimes were not reported in any way the public would know about. Now, the much rarer crimes all go viral, so it seems like there is more crime. The statistics published by the FBI and law enforcement agencies all around the world show that violent crime is way down.

Last spring my 17 year old and his best friend went to Berlin on their own for a few days---us parents are encouraging the boys to plan a trip over winter break together too---they travel well together and after graduation it iwll be harder to find time when their schedules match.

And my now 20 year old was 17 when they flew to London and then worked their way to some small town on trains to stay with friends of friends and attend a big event.

So, yeah, even older teens, in a group, on organized, professional excursions that are prebooked wouldn't even give me pause---unless there particular teens are known immature trouble makers or something (and even at that, I don't really see hwo the parents can say anything about it to the older two, other than not paying for it if they do not approve).

I'd chat with them about safety in the particular countries, and work with them to find a reputable tour organizer I suppose.

Overall, the world is a much safer place for tourists than it was in the 1960s. Some places have become worse, but most places are much better. In the 1960s, most crimes were not reported in any way the public would know about. Now, the much rarer crimes all go viral, so it seems like there is more crime. The statistics published by the FBI and law enforcement agencies all around the world show that violent crime is way down.

This. Exactly