110% excursion price Guarantee, my butt!!

rach1fun

Grrrr! Just received a reply to my request for the 110% price guarantee on excursions, and I am NOT a happy camper.

First of all, I don't normally buy my excursions thru the cruise line, but this one was only offered thru Carnival. I found an independent tour operator that had the same excursion for $15 cheaper, but they only picked up at hotels. Turns out, it is the EXACT SAME tour operator that does the excursion for Carnival, and they have a contract with the cruise lines so they don't sell to cruise guests.

Loophole for them so they don't have to pay out on their guarantee. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, when I should be excited for the cruise, now I'm upset....

Grrrr! Just received a reply to my request for the 110% price guarantee on excursions, and I am NOT a happy camper.

First of all, I don't normally buy my excursions thru the cruise line, but this one was only offered thru Carnival. I found an independent tour operator that had the same excursion for $15 cheaper, but they only picked up at hotels. Turns out, it is the EXACT SAME tour operator that does the excursion for Carnival, and they have a contract with the cruise lines so they don't sell to cruise guests.

Loophole for them so they don't have to pay out on their guarantee. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, when I should be excited for the cruise, now I'm upset....

You are really worked up about $16.50 ??? Really ???

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We recently got the 110% guarantee on an excursion in Barbados. on the independent's website it said they would pick you up at the hotel. I e-mailed them and asked if they picked up at cruise ships, and they said yes. I included that in the comment section on the form.

Did you check if they would pick you up independently at the ship? They might not if they are they one that Carnival uses, but it can't hurt to check.

Just book independently--that way you won't have to worry about the cheapest price, as you'll always have it.

That's what we do.

Completely agree.

On our recent Vista cruise carnival were charging $17 in Marsaille for a bus into town where just walking out the gate, the bus was free.

In Palma, they charged $16, but the local bus was 1 Euro and actually got you nearer into town.

Every tour they sold you could buy independently much cheaper.

Want to catch a train into Rome? Carnivals price - $79 - buy yourself - 12 Euros return AND that also included unlimited travel on the Roma Metro and bus systems.

The list really is endless.

Not the same excursion then. If $15 is such a big deal then book with them and take a taxi to a hotel.

Exactly. But the OP will probably spend that much on the cab anyway. Really, he/she is getting all worked up over nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Completely agree.

On our recent Vista cruise carnival were charging $17 in Marsaille for a bus into town where just walking out the gate, the bus was free.

In Palma, they charged $16, but the local bus was 1 Euro and actually got you nearer into town.

Every tour they sold you could buy independently much cheaper.

Want to catch a train into Rome? Carnivals price - $79 - buy yourself - 12 Euros return AND that also included unlimited travel on the Roma Metro and bus systems.

The list really is endless.

Very true. Cruise lines do this all the time.

I agree with you, its the principle. We are in Aruba this month and next, a tour in Aruba by a touring company, new tour, not yet on their website. Lady i spoke with provided some details, but said she would email everything and pricing, and we could decide.

I received an email from her next day, and she stated sorry for the delay. I have been arguing and upset, I cant offer you that excursion we were discussing, ...we are NOT allowed to sell the exact excursion, Carnival has rights to it. BUT... we have one very similar ( no stop at the second beach)

So it would be same tour company, 6 of 7 stops identical...

this is all they have to do, change up one little thing, and there is no 110% excursion guarantee to worry about

If the tour company has a contract with Carnival to provide a number of passengers, they cannot undercut the exact tour independantly. I've seen this stipulation before. I think I recall seeing this even on an ad, so this is not new.

Its the principle of it, not the dollar amount itself. And $16.50 is a couple drinks on the ship, it all adds up...

I agree it's the principle of it. But look on the bright side. These price match guarantees and 110% stuff are mostly just hogwash by many retailers. For example, some retailers will price match on an identical product but surprise surprise the product they sell from manufacturer A has a model number that is exclusive to that retailer. The same product (except for the model number) you buy from retailer B is therefore not the same. Goodbye price match guarantee. So thank your lucky stars that you didn't learn this with a $1,500 purchase.

I agree it's the principle of it. But look on the bright side. These price match guarantees and 110% stuff are mostly just hogwash by many retailers. For example, some retailers will price match on an identical product but surprise surprise the product they sell from manufacturer A has a model number that is exclusive to that retailer. The same product (except for the model number) you buy from retailer B is therefore not the same. Goodbye price match guarantee. So thank your lucky stars that you didn't learn this with a $1,500 purchase.

Learned this the last time we went mattress shopping.

They make it nearly impossible to compare apples and apples

Learned this the last time we went mattress shopping.

They make it nearly impossible to compare apples and apples

We have a large department store here in the UK called John Lewis, who do price match and has a shop motto "never knowingly undersold".

I've often attempted to get them to match, sometimes they do, mostly not. But funnily, given that motto, you would think once someone is successful and prove they are not the cheapest, they would reduce their price to fit that motto! Yeh right! lol

I'm surprised they are allowed to use that in their advertising jargon because its BS.

Much better IMHO to give your trade to the company who really IS trying to be competitive, not to one you hope will act honestly after the event.

Edited by les37b

There are some tours that only sell to the ships. They don't fly in tour operators. They use the locals right there at the ports. Once you saw they only pick up at the hotel and that this tour is only offered by Carnival, that should have been all the information you needed. Not worth being upset instead of being excited for your cruise.

We have a large department store here in the UK called John Lewis, who do price match and has a shop motto "never knowingly undersold".

I've often attempted to get them to match, sometimes they do, mostly not. But funnily, given that motto, you would think once someone is successful and prove they are not the cheapest, they would reduce their price to fit that motto! Yeh right! lol

I'm surprised they are allowed to use that in their advertising jargon because its BS.

Much better IMHO to give your trade to the company who really IS trying to be competitive, not to one you hope will act honestly after the event.

So true so true. Reward the businesses with the lowest everyday prices NOT the ones who want you to waste your time to chase a price match guarantee. My time is more valuable than a modest discount that i have to jump thru hoops to get. Most often the time wasted on the phone or in customer service lines null out any savings. Dont get me wrong i do search out deals and i also try to hold on to every penny i possibly can.

I've always thought it was common knowledge that the cruise lines jack up the excursion pricing. But you pay extra for the convenience and the guarantee that they will get you back to the ship and not screw you should you be late returning.

I've always thought it was common knowledge that the cruise lines jack up the excursion pricing. But you pay extra for the convenience and the guarantee that they will get you back to the ship and not screw you should you be late returning.

This and the cruise line checks out the operator for dependability. I'm sure they also must guarantee a certain participation rate whether that many people sign up or not. Why do people think they should do this for no profit? They are a business and I'm surprised they even offer the guarantee. Probably just to appease a few vocal passengers.

I've set up independent tours and taken ship tours. Both have worked out but if it's essentially the same tour, it's not worth the extra work on my part to research, contact, arrange payment, and wonder what will happen if we miss that port. You basically hire the cruise line to do that work for you.

If the tour company has a contract with Carnival to provide a number of passengers, they cannot undercut the exact tour independantly. I've seen this stipulation before. I think I recall seeing this even on an ad, so this is not new.

This is my understanding also. In fact, a few years ago we wanted to book an independent excursion in St. Lucia but the operator was prohibited from booking us independently because they were the cruise line's (Carnival) provider for that excursion. Subsequently (and prior to sailing), Carnival dropped the excursion so we contacted the tour operator again and they were then glad to book us because they no longer had a contract with the cruise line.

This and the cruise line checks out the operator for dependability. I'm sure they also must guarantee a certain participation rate whether that many people sign up or not. Why do people think they should do this for no profit? They are a business and I'm surprised they even offer the guarantee. Probably just to appease a few vocal passengers.

I've set up independent tours and taken ship tours. Both have worked out but if it's essentially the same tour, it's not worth the extra work on my part to research, contact, arrange payment, and wonder what will happen if we miss that port. You basically hire the cruise line to do that work for you.

I guess its all about peoples expectations. Whilst you might argue its right they dont arrange tours for nothing, you have to be pretty naive to believe that Carnival not getting very heavily discounted prices. The tour in question, they would be hiring every seat. I doubt they even paid 50% of the public rate being quoted.

Anyway, you are missing the point. The OP complaint is that they found the tour at a cheaper price than Carnival and thy refused to give the price match guarantee because there was none to be had. They had manipulated the operator not to sell to cruisers making a price match impossible.

Devious and dishonest, but par for the course as I'm learning.

I guess its all about peoples expectations. Whilst you might argue its right they dont arrange tours for nothing, you have to be pretty naive to believe that Carnival not getting very heavily discounted prices. The tour in question, they would be hiring every seat. I doubt they even paid 50% of the public rate being quoted.

Anyway, you are missing the point. The OP complaint is that they found the tour at a cheaper price than Carnival and thy refused to give the price match guarantee because there was none to be had. They had manipulated the operator not to sell to cruisers making a price match impossible.

Devious and dishonest, but par for the course as I'm learning.

That guarantee does work but it has to be a legitimate match with verbatim details. The tour operator is contracted to do business with hotels and the cruiselines through the hotels and cruiselines. You cannot book it independently. There are tour operators exclusive this way. Others rely on private bookings. Rarely will a tour accommodate both.

That guarantee does work but it has to be a legitimate match with verbatim details. The tour operator is contracted to do business with hotels and the cruiselines through the hotels and cruiselines. You cannot book it independently. There are tour operators exclusive this way. Others rely on private bookings. Rarely will a tour accommodate both.

That's the point. The tour operator wasn't allowed to sell to pasengers on the ship direct, so how could Carnival offer a price match warrenty? The tour in every aspect was identical - but not allowing cruisers, means departure from the ship was not listed on the tour so 100% never going to happen. Its a fake claim.

Its like chasing the holy grail, though in this instance you're more likely to locate the grail! :p