Whale sightings on panama cruise?

TGSplano

I don't cruise often but I'm on a cruise from Florida to Columbia and back up the coast to Florida. We splurged for a balcony and I was trying to locate maps of where whales might be on the trip. I've seen spinner dolphins on the last cruise which didnt go nearly as far south. We depart the end of October and return the first week of November. Any ideas where to find whale sighting information per month?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our PC cruise we saw a pod of Orcas from our balcony when leaving port in Nicaragua. It was pretty cool seeing them breach.

This was in early December btw.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by hel0013

No whales in the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agree...whale sight sightings in the Caribbean are few and far between. There are whale watching excursions out of Dominica and Martinique, but that is a long way from Colombia and Panama.

OTOH, whales and Alaska are synonymous. :):D

Edited by thinfool

On the way back to Miami three years on the Breeze, we saw two whales may be a quarter mile away on the starboard side. Must have been mother and calf. They were heading south, us north. Just doing their whale thing. A few times a big flipper would pop out of the water. Kinda cool.

On the way back to Miami three years on the Breeze, we saw two whales may be a quarter mile away on the starboard side. Must have been mother and calf. They were heading south, us north. Just doing their whale thing. A few times a big flipper would pop out of the water. Kinda cool.

That sounds like you were actually in the Atlantic...where there are whales.

I don't cruise often but I'm on a cruise from Florida to Columbia and back up the coast to Florida. We splurged for a balcony and I was trying to locate maps of where whales might be on the trip. I've seen spinner dolphins on the last cruise which didnt go nearly as far south. We depart the end of October and return the first week of November. Any ideas where to find whale sighting information per month?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Next time: Pacific Ocean

No whales in the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Actually, there are about 25 species of whale in the Caribbean. This is their winter home. Humpbacks breed and calf off of Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic, just as humpbacks breed and calf off of Baja California.

They are rarer in the Western Caribbean, though they have been sighted off Turks and Caicos.

Whales feed in cold water (Alaska, New England) and breed and calf in warm water (Caribbean, Sea of Cortez).

The Gulf of Gonave Haiti .... just off of Port Au Prince

Orca.jpg

there's whales in the Carib'

I also know of a case where a USN PHM - hydrofoil patrol boat ... they used to have a squadron of these in Key West - hit a whale while 'up on foils' in the Bahamas ..... causing a most dramatic drop to the water for the hull ... and serious injuries to some of the crew.

The NAVY no longer operates these boats ..... the whales still swim around ....

If you want a balcony to look out at the sea go ahead. But you will probably not see any whales. You are more likely to see whales while out on deck because there are other people also scanning the ocean. FYI, we found the Panama cruise hot and humid in November. Too hot to sit outside. I might consider saving my money if your main reason for a balcony is to see whales.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the responses.

We already booked a balcony so money is spent. I didn't even consider it might be too warm to enjoy. I've only been as far south as Jamaica on a ship and in September.

I'll try to respond when we return in November.

I was looking at the California to Hawaii cruises as a future option. It sounds like that might have a better chance to see them.