Princess reps say don't book guarantee cabins

coconut cruiser

9 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

I don't think that the OP "misunderstood".  Sales people are sales people, I don't care if they are a Princess "PVP",  an international gold broker, or a vacuum cleaner seller,  they will tell you that you can have what you want.  What they "fail" to mention in the promise is: "FOR A PRICE".  I was a "worker bee", and I bore the brunt of this story about Sales People all the time.

They did misunderstand let them pick is not stand by... that was the confusion. I think this was a great old topic to bump. but im unsure what the rest of your bloviating is about.

This issue does come up from time to time.  However, I don't recall reading even ONE post where a GTY was booked and passenger didn't get a cabin....yes some have to wait to check in, but ALL have gotten a cabin.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

This issue does come up from time to time.  However, I don't recall reading even ONE post where a GTY was booked and passenger didn't get a cabin....yes some have to wait to check in, but ALL have gotten a cabin.

I have never heard of someone booking a guarantee  and not getting a cabin in the booked category or a higher one.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2016 at 3:47 PM, Tina G said:

This is one reason WHY you should use a travel agent, and not book directly through Princess! Your TA would have explained all this to you long ago.

We always book a guarantee cabin, and usually, the longer it takes to get your cabin assignment, the better your upgrade.

I am willing to bet that the original Princess Rep explained it thoroughly.  Some people just listen with half their brain.  We have done 11 cruises on Princess and have always used their reps (now we have a favorite) with no problems.  They are great!

3 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

It happened on Carnival several years ago when the cruise line first started sailing from Baltimore. The cruise line did not estimate the number of cancellations correctly. More people wanted to go, and enough did not willingly take the move-over offer. Carnival ended up bumping people involuntarily. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2016 at 12:46 PM, chefchick said:

ETA: For God's sake stop unpacking! Nothing any of the reps may have said to you could possibly imply that you are NOT booked on the cruise and will not have a cabin waiting for you when you board!

This!!! And more importantly- that you won't be charged in full wether you thought you had a cabin or not.

Bon Voyage

ETA - Estimated Time of Arrival? 

I see it used on here in a confusing context often.

Do people mean to say BTW ??  By the Way??

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, geoherb said:

It happened on Carnival several years ago when the cruise line first started sailing from Baltimore. The cruise line did not estimate the number of cancellations correctly. More people wanted to go, and enough did not willingly take the move-over offer. Carnival ended up bumping people involuntarily. 

Good catch.  But, I don't know Carnival and do they have guaranteed cabins?  Was it those people that had the GTY's that were bumped involuntarily?  And I will restrict my comment to Princess, since I don't follow the other threads much at all.

We do know that Princess overbooks since we see upsells and move over offers pretty regularly, but I don't think the GTY passengers are lower on the pecking order for possibly getting bumped.  So, I still wouldn't use a fear of not getting a cabin on Princess as a reason to not book a GTY.  YMMV

55 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I think it comes back to if the OP is so needing to know what cabin they are in........

Why Why Why did they not pick they own cabin....... instead of picking.....

Let Princess choice one for them ?????  then worry about what cabin they are in....

Cheers  Don

Some just like to pick a GTY.

Hoping for an upgrade.

If you don't care where you end up there is no issue with picking a GTY.

But if you do care about location and when it will be assigned then pick your cabin!

As stated a few times in this thread you will always end up with the cabin cat you guaranteed for or better.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

I think it comes back to if the OP is so needing to know what cabin they are in........

Why Why Why did they not pick they own cabin....... instead of picking.....

Let Princess choice one for them ?????  then worry about what cabin they are in....

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

The post is 3 years old.  Do you think that the OP is still waiting for their cabin?  Why is everyone responding to this ancient thread.  Why?

DON

Don- (Donaldsc)

You just responded to this ancient thread too so you must know why others did...:classic_biggrin:

Don- (Gettingolderslowly)

I have never booked a guarantee and I don't think that process works for me.  Until my most recent booking, I never used a TA and booked my cruises directly through Princess' web site.  I can't say how many times, but I have seen a number of instances where a certain category looked like it was sold out but Princess was letting people book in that category only by using the "Choose room location for me" option.  That may have been what happened here.  I read on another thread that Princess will hold blocks of cabins for certain travel agencies and only release the unsold cabins just prior to the cruise.  I think this is what causes a whole category only being available as a guarantee.

I am really excited about doing my first guarantee and am glad to see that I will definitely have a room! Grin.  I booked an S7 guarantee on the Grand.  Now there are only 7 S7 staterooms and booking started just yesterday and today already there are no more S7 (window suites) available.  Initially I could have booked the last WS available (F301 which is the smallest and most forward S7 stateroom) but then said wait.  If I book a guarantee, the worst I will get is the only WS left to specifically book and maybe I will get one of the other 6, or, sigh, maybe even upgraded to a suite?  So I jumped at this guarantee.  First one and probably last one I will ever do because I like to pick my specific cabin!

Pooh

7 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

I am really excited about doing my first guarantee and am glad to see that I will definitely have a room! Grin.  I booked an S7 guarantee on the Grand.  Now there are only 7 S7 staterooms and booking started just yesterday and today already there are no more S7 (window suites) available.  Initially I could have booked the last WS available (F301 which is the smallest and most forward S7 stateroom) but then said wait.  If I book a guarantee, the worst I will get is the only WS left to specifically book and maybe I will get one of the other 6, or, sigh, maybe even upgraded to a suite?  So I jumped at this guarantee.  First one and probably last one I will ever do because I like to pick my specific cabin!

Pooh

Please let us know how it works out.

@PoohUnderstands Yes, please let us know.. 

@donalsc I opened the thread back up, because I was looking for more info on GTY on princess, & I really did want to know if the OP got on the ship, or if they were foolish enough to be a no show. 

I booked a GTY for the Royal on 10/4/19, I was in a balcony cabin, and I found a Deluxe Balcony for less money, (saved $25.00 a person for a better cabin) So Booked it, but it only offered me a GTY DB category. 

It has added significant excitement, in fact I'm almost more excited about finding the cabin for this cruise, then going on my 9/4/19 cruise in a S7 window suite. I go on princess's website at least 3 times a week to see what they have sold and what I left. Currently, all the suite are gone, all the Mini-suite, and they have 1 cerium deluxe balcony left. (Every thing else is less then a DB) 

I'm excited to see what move over or downgrade offers they might provide to me. (I once was offered a full refund to down grade form a balcony to a inside, sadly I was to slow responding. Another time I was offered and accepted a move over offer, where they gave me a full refund of the cruise and upgraded me form a balcony to mini-suite and paid to re-book my flights. 

So I will post there what happens... 🙂 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2019 at 8:45 PM, PoohUnderstands said:

Pooh

What sail date? (If you don’t mind)

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:07 AM, heath_durbin said:

Currently, all the suite are gone, all the Mini-suite, and they have 1 cerium deluxe balcony left. (Every thing else is less then a DB)

What is a cerium deluxe balcony?

13 hours ago, heath_durbin said:

What sail date? (If you don’t mind)

June 26, 2021.  Note.  There are now two regular sized WS's open for booking.  If you love this itinerary and WS's , grab one now.  I was thinking of changing, but I think I will stick with the guarantee for the fun and excitement of doing it once.  Since there are WS's available, S7 guarantee as a choice is not.

Pooh