NCL - anyone worn designer ripped jeans

Blondie008

Honestly, it does depend on where you're dining on the ripped jeans on NCL. They would be fine at most dining venues but there are a few that they would be iffy. Those iffy venues would be LeBistro (on all NCL ships), Ocean Blue on the newer ships and possibly the aft MDRs. It's at the discretion of the maître 'd at each venue since it is written policy (the ripped jeans part).Speaking from personal experience and also from a friend who's a FBD/AHD on NCL.

I didn't mention The Haven restaurant, which is also only on the newer ships, because I don't have experience in that venue.

• 3 weeks later...
I wasn't going to reply on this thread but your post just made me do it:eek:

You really think if a gal is over 40 a dress is more appropriate?:confused:

Some women do not like/feel comfortable wearing dresses......there

are many types of slacks in the marketplace for all ages....not sure why

you are sending such a "broad statement" for women over 40.....

And this has nothing to do with the topic at hand.....I am just very

curious why you think we women over 40 should be in a dress? In my

opinion, one has nothing to do with the other.

I agree, Lois. The last time I wore a dress was to my son's wedding in 2010. I look muuuuch better in pants since I have long legs. Wearing a dress emphasizes my larger hips, and hides my long legs. And, I am waaaay over 40!

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, "might" be that the jeans look ridiculous on the woman over 40. Sparkly pockets imo look juvenile on a mature woman. Denim trousers can look fantastic. CFM jeans on someone who's already been through menopause, to me, looks more like the wearer is trying really hard to be 20 again.

Some women can pull it off (and I've seen plenty in the SoCal area, women with buns of steel), but many others can't. Flabby butts in jeans just don't look good imo. We all have opinions....and you know what's said about those! lol

Someone had better send an email to Corporate for Chicos and tell them their jeans, be it plain, embellished or deconstructed jeans, are not appropriate to be selling to their target demographic and to pull them from the shelves :roll eyes:

What are "CFM" jeans anyway and what does menopause have to do with it? Menopause is a medical issue, not an age issue. Are we relegated to black polyester slacks/trousers? Some of those sundresses I see "mature" women wearing are more ridiculous than jeans and a nice T-shirt... Please cover the turkey neck, turkey skin and the flappy arms please...

Edited by slidergirl

What are "CFM" jeans anyway and what does menopause have to do with it? Menopause is a medical issue, not an age issue. Are we relegated to black polyester slacks/trousers? Some of those sundresses I see "mature" women wearing are more ridiculous than jeans and a nice T-shirt... Please cover the turkey neck, turkey skin and the flappy arms please...

Couldn't agree more!! Have never worn polyester in my life!!

And as a former 60's rock chick, I am still happiest in jeans. Although being over 70 they are no longer skin-tight and my tops don't tuck in, but skim a multitude of sins! But I really hate over-exposed skin - we older ladies should perhaps be mindful of the need to cover up any skin which isn't firm and taut (and not as a result of surgery!!) It's just NOT a good look. European women do ageing so much better and (usually) you won't see inappropriate clothing on a "mature" woman in Europe unless she's a non-European tourist.:)

I have a stunning pair of designer embroidered black skinny jeans - but they are fashionably ripped (not faded and worn low on the hip as the dress code reads!).

Anyone had any issues on Norwegian wearing designer ripped jeans?

I wear them with high heels and really glam tops?

Love my jeans -

Actually, on my Celebrity cruise I wore jeans now on their evening chic night - so cant see a problem on NCL.

Anyone got first hand experience of this?

No, no first hand experience. Just a query.

How is anyone seeing your jeans supposed to know if they are intentionally ripped - and cost you a lot of money - or if they got ripped in the laundry/dry-cleaners on board and they're the only jeans you had with you?

and a P.S.

It's not true that if you remember the 60's you weren't there!! I most certainly do - flowers in my hair and all!!!

I was one of the leaders of the protest movement to allow girls at my school to be able to wear pants to school and to get rid of the length requirement on dresses/skirts. My grandmother knit me some great vests that were popular back then - and also an amazing crochet long skirt that looked like it was made from potholders - remember those???

I even got a day in the Haight, thanks to my mom & grandmother!!!

So I'm Scottish too Blondie008 so I understand your haud yer weesht etc comment. You said you asked a civil question and civil answers were therefore worthy of a civil response.

All I want to say is I cannot understand why you asked the question when you had already contacted NCL to find the answer and you posted the answer from them later that same day.

I've cruised with many different lines over the years but now only sail from the UK so with a narrower choice. However whatever line I've been on, I have never been able to differentiate between people wearing designer jeans and those wearing Primark-style jeans. Designer or not, your jeans are still ripped jeans. Just because an article of clothing is a fashion item does not make it acceptable for a formal dinner whatever your age.

But you've already worn them so Go-oan yer'sel lassie

• 4 weeks later...

but I still have to do it:

If you really, really, really want to wear those torn jeans, go ahead, it's your body, but not one fashion choice I'd ever be seen in on a cruise ship, any cruise ship. so if it makes you happy, go have a great time in your jeans on your cruise.

Maybe its my age (60) but I think ripped jeans are not disgusting. Sorry!

NCL will probably let you wear them and I hope you have a great cruise.

I'm with you! I'm 41 and have some adorable ripped jeans that I bought that way and they can make a really cute outfit. No dress for me just because I'm 41. I'm taking them on my cruise next week!

I'm with you! I'm 41 and have some adorable ripped jeans that I bought that way and they can make a really cute outfit. No dress for me just because I'm 41. I'm taking them on my cruise next week!

I'm doing a northbound Pacific Coastal in April. You can be sure that I am taking one of my jeans with me! Can't be in Canada and not have jeans ;)

So after making my comment, I read thru the whole thread. Wowza-- some heated opinions.

Add me to the over 40 (will be 50 in about 2 weeks) crowd that regularly wears ripped skinny jeans, sometimes with heels. I have a personal "I'm past that" or "I can still rock it" standard that works for me. I think it is less about chronological age and more about mental age and physical....fitness or whatever you want to call it. And about venue.

I have a dress my husband LOVES and wants me to bring on our cruise next week -- but to me it's a Vegas/Club dress, not dinner. I compromised and told him I would bring it, but change into it after dinner if we go late night dancing.

• 3 weeks later...

"Designer" means nothing. Those bib-jeans from the tractor supply warehouse are designed somewhere.

My rule of thumb for dress code is always try to dress up a bit and not disrespect your spouse by being anything less than what they expect of you.

And this applies to air travel as well.

So, no ripped pants in the MDR, no flip-flops and never shorts after 6 pm.

Cover the tatoos except at the beach, and take off the baseball cap inside.

"Designer" means nothing. Those bib-jeans from the tractor supply warehouse are designed somewhere.

My rule of thumb for dress code is always try to dress up a bit and not disrespect your spouse by being anything less than what they expect of you.

I do not have a spouse. So, I have no one to "disrespect." ;)

To add:

I always find it a little bit funny and a little bit sad when someone will say, unless someone is dressed like they are, they did not "make an effort"...

• 2 weeks later...

Your attitude seems rather old fashioned and narrow minded if I may say. If your spouse loves you then surely they respect you and your own sense of style? I dress for me and my husband loves me because I am me not a stepford wife moulded to blend with the furniture .

Tattoos only on show at the beach ??? Your joking right ??? Shall those of us with tattoos just start to wear a burka to please your old fashioned ideals ???

I'm updating my cruise wardrobe for my San Diego-to-Vancouver vacation this April - I did buy those distressed, embroidered jeans from the Sundance Catalog. And, I just purchased one of the "Alt National Park Service" Smokey the Bear "Resist" T-shirts :D

I'm updating my cruise wardrobe for my San Diego-to-Vancouver vacation this April - I did buy those distressed, embroidered jeans from the Sundance Catalog. And, I just purchased one of the "Alt National Park Service" Smokey the Bear "Resist" T-shirts :D

Don't forget your Trump hat. They come in two styles!

320879165_notrumphat.jpg.71a9ed33efd1b6a0e9ca3192d39bb4b2.jpg

2014790908_protrumphat.jpg.fb88efecbcc80122424e3392390a7871.jpg

Don't forget your Trump hat. They come in two styles!

Sorry, but I do have my pink "Kat" touque ready to take in case my ears get cold ;)

I'm on HAL - will those Midwestern sensibilities be shocked at my attire??? (tongue-in-cheek reference to a HAL thread on the Celebrity Apprentice)

Sorry, but I do have my pink "Kat" touque ready to take in case my ears get cold ;)

I'm on HAL - will those Midwestern sensibilities be shocked at my attire??? (tongue-in-cheek reference to a HAL thread on the Celebrity Apprentice)

Good on you! Wear that hat, too with the Alt shirt and the Sundance jeans!

The cruise line may be happy with your designer, expensive jeans but many people, like me, do not think they are appropriate wear for dinner. If it were a formal night I would complain to the maitre d'. Texas it would seem accepts jeans for any occasion so perhaps that is where all the jean wearers should head on holiday.