Airfare $$$ may force us to cancel

momperson2

We are supposed to cruise on April 2, 2017 Silhouette. I have been watching airfare for serveral months. We got a decent deal on our cruise, a balcony 9 th deck on the slant--supposed to be one of the biggest ones on slant---drink package AND a $650 OBC. BUT, airfare is $$$$--- leaving out of Detroit to FLL we can't find anything for under $1,500!!!! And this is for flights with stops and not best times (direct flights $1,800 and up) Since I work for the schools And MUST be to work on Monday-- flying home next day is not a option. ☹️️.

But if we decide to cancel, if someone is interested in this cabin (port side, on slant, middle of ship) let me know and will give u heads up. Very bumm book this over a year ago--- hope the airline fairy drops price

Edited by momperson2

yes, momperson, it is very difficult during the various spring break times, and I too must adhere to this calendar restriction.

We are booked for the same time period, and as we live in California, booked our airfare months ago at a decent price. Great!, BUT! then we cannot take advantage of any last minute cruising deals or specials, as then we will be in the same position as yourself.

Keep trying, and keep checking. That is my unsolicited advice. :D

You are not alone.

Scanditaly

Generally airfare rates are available at the best rates between 120 and 90 days out. You may still be early. Also, if you are searching rates on your computer, clear your cookies. Airline websites track cookies and tend to raise rates on trips you've previously searched. It's a little trick we've picked up over the years.

Edited by Luvcrusn

Generally airfare rates are available at the best rates between 120 and 90 days out. You may still be early. Also, if you are searching rates on your computer, clear your cookies. Airline websites track cookies and tend to raise rates on trips you've previously searched. It's a little trick we've picked up over the years.

Thanks for the tip. We are looking for an open jaw fare to Europe for next May and every time I check United, they have zero fares in economy forcing people to book economy flex at about $900 more for the tickets. Not happy with this.

OP, I hope you get something and that you don't have to cancel your cruise.

Edited by TeaBag

We are supposed to cruise on April 2, 2017 Silhouette. I have been watching airfare for serveral months. We got a decent deal on our cruise, a balcony 9 th deck on the slant--supposed to be one of the biggest ones on slant---drink package AND a $650 OBC. BUT, airfare is $$$$--- leaving out of Detroit to FLL we can't find anything for under $1,500!!!! And this is for flights with stops and not best times (direct flights $1,800 and up) Since I work for the schools And MUST be to work on Monday-- flying home next day is not a option. ☹️️.

But if we decide to cancel, if someone is interested in this cabin (port side, on slant, middle of ship) let me know and will give u heads up. Very bumm book this over a year ago--- hope the airline fairy drops price

You may want consider booking one way tickets. Orbitz is showing American has a 1 way on Apr 1 for under $200. Return Apr 9 on Jet blue for $312. Choice Air is another option to check.

Thanks for the tip. We are looking for an open jaw fare to Europe for next May and every time I check United, they have zero fares in economy forcing people to book economy flex at about $900 more for the tickets. Not happy with this.

OP, I hope you get something and that you don't have to cancel your cruise.

Try sky scanner found it great for flights from Europe to the states

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure where you are checking but there are lots of cheaper options out there.

Just checked travelocity and found roundtrips with 1 stop each way on american for $502.20 per person. This would be flying down on April 1 leaving at 7:65pm and getting into FLL a little after midnight and flying back on Sunday the 8th at 12:56pm

West palm beach has a airport, my brother who has lived in south Florida for 25 years also. Then there's Orlando and Tampa if you could get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, definitely check West Palm and Miami. We went in 2015 from MSP to PBI at a similar time and tickets were $200pp less than FLL. We took a private car from PBI to hotel and then port to PBI and it was about $400 total both ways for 6 people, so still MUCH less than flying in to FLL.

Southwest is showing $112-$130 per person one way for April from Detroit to Ft Lauderdale several non stops

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have NO idea how lucky you are. This wouldn't come close to covering taxes let alone a fare! Our one way from Canada to MIA would be about 500.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app

You have NO idea how lucky you are. This wouldn't come close to covering taxes let alone a fare! Our one way from Canada to MIA would be about 500.

Admittedly that was off topic.

I agree with checking West Palm or other nearby airports.

In Canada we book air prior to cruise. Not sure I can advise on a 120 or 90 day strategy. Hope this works out.

Check Southwest & nearby airports. We are driving this time as there are 4 of us now (From Atlanta) and flying isn't cheap during this time. We flew into Palm Beach last time and took the trirail all the way down to Miami. It was so long, but totally worth the money we saved. We fly back from Fort Lauderdale and took the trirail back there.

Too early to give up due to air fare. Just regularly check airline's website. You will surely find a fare a lot lesser than what you are quoting now. You can cancel the cruise immediately before the final payment due date if you can't find any..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Where are you leaving from? I usually cross to Niagara Falls NY to fly to FLL or Miami for $200-$350 round trip a few times a year. Hundreds less than flying out of Canada.

Where are you leaving from? I usually cross to Niagara Falls NY to fly to FLL or Miami for $200-$350 round trip a few times a year. Hundreds less than flying out of Canada.

Lucky you. We are in Edmonton. No jumping the border for a cheap flight.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk