Newbie to Princess with questions

cruiseat50

Hi all,

As you can see below in my signature we are not new to cruising but we are new to Princess. We never thought that we would need to try any other line than NCL as we started cruising because of Freestyle concept. We are suite cruisers and from what I have gathered NCL does the best job with this. That all being said we have seen a decline with NCL with the new management changes and cut backs. For us the last little piece of straw was not being able to bring cokes/water on board. I know it seems like a very insignificant thing for a lot of people but it broke the camel’s back for us as I enjoy having a diet coke or two in my cabin. I really can’t drink fountain cokes as they have something in them that make me not feel well so I like my canned pops and especially my decaffeinated in the evening.

So in researching new cruise lines I decided Princess would fit our needs best because of several things. There are several things already that Princess does for suites that I’m thrilled about and one of which is a complimentary laundry same day service, complimentary mini-bar with more little bottles of alcohol than I will consume on the cruise. They also provide a few beers for hubby and diet cokes for me. :) Although I will probably order some more and bring some decaf as well.

I have read through quite a lot of recent threads but I still have some questions that I either haven’t seen or have forgotten or been confused about the answers. We are going to be on the Regal January 29 and we are taking the redeye out on Friday and will be there at 7:00am the day before(hoping to sleep a bit on the plane so fingers crossed for no crying babies or that our new noise canceling headphones work). Any information you may have on these will be greatly appreciated:

1. In the past on NCL I brought on cokes either in boxes or just put some in a rolling cooler (secured but with easy access so they could inspect to see it wasn’t alcohol). I have seen that it is okay to bring on beverages but would I be able to do the same? We really like having a cooler in the room so that we can keep our beverages ice cold as I only like them super cold and the fridges on NCL never kept them cold enough. Hoping that Princess is better but unlikely much better as they are usually tucked away so don't get enough circulation to keep them cooled down.

2. We are trying to decide if we want to stay in a hotel near the airport (FLL) or somewhere near the port or have a view of the beach. But of course what I have found so far with a view is very expen$ive but… any suggestions? J If we stay at the airport how much would a taxi or Uber cost to get to the port?

3. Meet and greet – if that’s what it’s called on Princess? On NCL they would have the captain and some of the officers come down do a little presentation and give out numbers to call if you had any concerns then there would be time to meet fellow CC members. What usually happens on Princess?

4. Formal nights? How formal do you have to be – tuxes and evening gowns? If so I think we will dine in on those nights as that just isn’t our idea of a relaxing vacation.

5. Shows – we like going to some and they have been very good for the most part but some we didn’t stay for. What types of shows and how good are they on Princess?

6. Any pics you would like to share about your experiences on the Regal? Any pics of Princess Cay and is it very crowded? We are thinking about getting a bungalow as we are more low key.

7. We may end up renting a car before and after the cruise so wonder if there are any car rentals near the port that have a shuttle? I know I can research this but suggestions are nice to start with. Can we drop off our bags early (how early?) take the car back then come back about 10:00-10:30? We have some mobility issues and want to get there as early as possible to beat the crowds.

Overall we are very excited about trying Princess and we will have a great time I’m sure but I like to be as prepared as I can. Although I like to prepare I'm also one who will make plans and decide at the last minute to change them on a whim. :D

I've always found the mini fridge cool enough. The cabin steward replenishes an ice bucket in the fridge, and you can order more ice from room service as necessary (or bring it back from the buffet).

Lots of suggestions on the Florida departure board about hotels. We'll be staying the Embassy Suites for our upcoming cruise next month. It worked out to be less expensive than the Marriott Marina, Renaissance, and Hyatt Place--some of our other favorites.

Join your roll call to find out about the meet and greet. Some organizers are able to get officers to attend, others care more about a chance for fellow CCers to get together.

Formal nights are not what they used to be. You definitely don't need tuxedo and evening gowns. I'm sure you can find the threads here about it. As suite passengers, you can order room service from the main dining room menu if you'd like. Another good thing about being in a suite is that you'll have priority boarding.

You can bring your diet soda in cans. Unlike other cruise lines, Meet & Greet are not sponsored by Princess, but officers may come when invited by your organizers. There are still who are in tuxes and long gowns during formal night. But the majority are in smart casual with suit and tie and evening dress. We do enjoy the broadway type shows. But there are also shows that features comedians and musicians.

Welcome to Princess. We were on the Regal last February and will be back on again in March. We chose not to bring any formal outfits and ate in the buffet on those evenings. People were dressed in smart casual to evening gowns and tuxedos. The buffet on the Regal is WONDERFUL and classy.

I enjoyed the show Fiera and all the comedians, etc. There are several mini-shows which happen in the Piaza.

The ship has an adult only retreat pool. This was nice and in the evening after the bar closes, is close to empty.

We did the dune buggy excursion at Princess Cay. It was loads of fun. After that we enjoyed the buffet. It was not difficult to find a place to sit. However, we are considering renting a cabana next time as we are not doing an excursion and there are six of us.

We are not suite passengers, so I can not comment on the rooms or benefits.

We attended our meet and greet. We had something like 80 sign up and maybe 50 attend. The Cruise Director and his deputy were there to tell us about the ship and answer questions. Princess provided beverages and some light snacks.

Leave your PNW winter clothes behind and enjoy your vacation.

1. In the past on NCL I brought on cokes either in boxes or just put some in a rolling cooler (secured but with easy access so they could inspect to see it wasn’t alcohol). I have seen that it is okay to bring on beverages but would I be able to do the same? We really like having a cooler in the room so that we can keep our beverages ice cold as I only like them super cold and the fridges on NCL never kept them cold enough. Hoping that Princess is better but unlikely much better as they are usually tucked away so don't get enough circulation to keep them cooled down.

You are allowed a reasonable amount of non-alcoholic drinks and bottled water. They do have to be able to see them of course when going through security. The under counter refrigerators keep the drinks cold but if you like them at 35F you will need ice. You can bring a small cooler aboard which has to be opened.

2. We are trying to decide if we want to stay in a hotel near the airport (FLL) or somewhere near the port or have a view of the beach. But of course what I have found so far with a view is very expen$ive but… any suggestions? If we stay at the airport how much would a taxi or Uber cost to get to the port?

The FLL airport and Port Everglades are less than 5 miles apart or a 5 minute taxi ride. Taxi cost is less than $10. We drive to the port and park in an off property parking lot that is between the two the port is that close. The hotel prices in the area are very high during the high season particularly January - March or so. There really isn't any way around it I have found.

3. Meet and greet – if that’s what it’s called on Princess? On NCL they would have the captain and some of the officers come down do a little presentation and give out numbers to call if you had any concerns then there would be time to meet fellow CC members. What usually happens on Princess?

In one word ... no. M&G is organized by someone on your cruise through the CC thread and they contact Princess to get a location as well as invite crew members to attend who may or may not attend. Princess does not organize or sponsor M&G gatherings. I have never been on a cruise where someone did not organize the group.

4.Formal nights? How formal do you have to be – tuxes and evening gowns? If so I think we will dine in on those nights as that just isn’t our idea of a relaxing vacation.

There will be 2 "formal" nights. The word formal does not describe the evening meal however very well. Tux/evening gowns are few, suits and nice dresses/pant suits are common all the way down to dress pants and dress shirt for men. Females can wear about anything so I was told one time. The dress code such as it is is only used in the MDR at dinner and not anywhere else on the ship. The buffet and specialty restaurants have the same dress code all through the cruise. Many pax go to the specialty restaurants those 2 nights.

5. Shows – we like going to some and they have been very good for the most part but some we didn’t stay for. What types of shows and how good are they on Princess?

Princess has a variety from musicals, comedians, singers, magicians etc. Each night is different in the type of entertainment in the theater. To me who goes sometimes they are entertaining.

6. Any pics you would like to share about your experiences on the Regal? Any pics of Princess Cay and is it very crowded? We are thinking about getting a bungalow as we are more low key.

Princess Cay will be very crowded. All the food on shore is prepared on the ship except the grilled items (hot dogs, hamburgers etc). The bungalows are nice. The two bars are the same as on the ship but with limited choice. Princess Cay is accessed by tender.

7. We may end up renting a car before and after the cruise so wonder if there are any car rentals near the port that have a shuttle? I know I can research this but suggestions are nice to start with. Can we drop off our bags early (how early?) take the car back then come back about 10:00-10:30? We have some mobility issues and want to get there as early as possible to beat the crowds.

We usually arrive around 11 AM and have never had a problem giving them our luggage. At that time they had already started accepting luggage.

Keep in mind that most hotels have a 3PM check in. FLL is about a $25 taxi from most hotels and the same the same for the port. The port is actually about 5 miles from the port .

You can bring all the sodas and water on board that you want. Wine or champagne is two bottles one per passenger over 21.

Having just been in a suite on NCL, I don't agree that NCL does the best job for suite passengers -- IMO you will find Princess a nice step up, especially because your cruise will be after the new Club Class dining venue opens on Regal. Reviews aren't in yet, of course, but it should be a major step up from the food on NCL.

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites (which charges for the shuttle to the port) and Springhill Suites--free shuttle from airport and to port--but this was 3 years ago.

SIXT has a location at the airport and near the port--we picked up at the airport and returned near the port. Free shuttle to the port.

We love Princess, did not care for NCL--at least on the ship we were on as freestyle meant for most of the cruisers to wear clothes I wouldn't be seen wearing walking the dog--and that's a really low standard. Like our one Celebrity cruise but we sailed Aqua Class.

Never bring soda on board--but I'm pretty sure for decaf Diet Coke, you will need to bring it on yourself. The refrigerator is more a cooler--but perhaps in the suites on a new ship--may have more cooling power.

Enjoy your cruise!

1. In the past on NCL I brought on cokes either in boxes or just put some in a rolling cooler (secured but with easy access so they could inspect to see it wasn’t alcohol). I have seen that it is okay to bring on beverages but would I be able to do the same? We really like having a cooler in the room so that we can keep our beverages ice cold as I only like them super cold and the fridges on NCL never kept them cold enough. Hoping that Princess is better but unlikely much better as they are usually tucked away so don't get enough circulation to keep them cooled down. As others have said, you can bring on as much soda and H2O as you wish. A cooler is OK as long as it is not Styrofoam. The fridge has a temp dial. If it is turned all the way to the cold end, it will probably be cold enough for you.

2. We are trying to decide if we want to stay in a hotel near the airport (FLL) or somewhere near the port or have a view of the beach. But of course what I have found so far with a view is very expen$ive but… any suggestions? J If we stay at the airport how much would a taxi or Uber cost to get to the port? Late January is the height of the tourist season which is why hotel prices are sky high, even with hotels near the airport (none are at the airport itself). Taxi from airport to ship has been $20 including tip.

3. Meet and greet – if that’s what it’s called on Princess? On NCL they would have the captain and some of the officers come down do a little presentation and give out numbers to call if you had any concerns then there would be time to meet fellow CC members. What usually happens on Princess? Called a Meet and Greet on Princess. Staff attending do not give out any phone numbers to call.

4. Formal nights? How formal do you have to be – tuxes and evening gowns? If so I think we will dine in on those nights as that just isn’t our idea of a relaxing vacation. Others have described this. No need to bring tuxes and formal gowns. Just think what you might wear to an evening wedding.

5. Shows – we like going to some and they have been very good for the most part but some we didn’t stay for. What types of shows and how good are they on Princess? You will get all sorts of opinions here as people's tastes are different. Princess has production shows, comics, singers, etc.

7. We may end up renting a car before and after the cruise so wonder if there are any car rentals near the port that have a shuttle? I know I can research this but suggestions are nice to start with. Can we drop off our bags early (how early?) take the car back then come back about 10:00-10:30? We have some mobility issues and want to get there as early as possible to beat the crowds. About the earliest you can drop off luggage is 10 AM. Check-in starts about 11 and boarding usually starts around noon. It will be crowded until boarding starts. To beat the crowd, come after 1 PM. To get on board as early as possible, be there by 11 AM and join the crowd. Only car rental at the airport that has a shuttle is National/Alamo. Some close to the port have a shuttle to the port, but to rent from them when you first arrive, you would need to take a cab from the airport.

Overall we are very excited about trying Princess and we will have a great time I’m sure but I like to be as prepared as I can. Although I like to prepare I'm also one who will make plans and decide at the last minute to change them on a whim. :D

You may want to go to the Princess web site and download the "Cruise Answer Book" which will answer many questions you might have about Princess.

Others have answered your most pressing questions. We have had good luck waiting to get hotel until a week or two before needed via hotwire. Just make sure you stick with 3.5 or even 4 star or above. You don't know NAME of hotel until after you book. But we have gotten amazing rooms on the main drag across from the ocean for less than $100 at places like the W Hotel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You may want to go to the Princess web site and download the "Cruise Answer Book" which will answer many questions you might have about Princess.

Wow, thank you I have a lot of reading to do... starting tomorrow because I know if I start it tonight it will be a late night and will not be able to sleep and morning comes too early.

Here are my comments, hope they will add to your understanding

" I enjoy having a diet coke or two in my cabin. I really can’t drink fountain cokes as they have something in them that make me not feel well so I like my canned pops and especially my decaffeinated in the evening. "

I have not seen caffeine free diet coke on any Princess ship. There is no limit on how much soda you can bring on board. You can paste a luggage tag on a case of cans and check it if you like.

"complimentary mini-bar with more little bottles of alcohol than I will consume on the cruise. They also provide a few beers for hubby and diet cokes for me. :) Although I will probably order some more and bring some decaf as well."

Your mini bar will contain 8, 50ml bottles of spirits, 6 or 8 cans of soda can't remember exactly, 2 bottles water, 2 bottles Perrier, 2 bottles Dos Equis. You can trade all the alcoholic beverages for non alcoholic. You can trade the various sodas and waters and receive all diet cokes. You can trade the entire set up for 2 coffee cards or one bottle of wine. Just call room service.

I have read through quite a lot of recent threads but I still have some questions that I either haven’t seen or have forgotten or been confused about the answers. We are going to be on the Regal January 29 and we are taking the redeye out on Friday and will be there at 7:00am the day before(hoping to sleep a bit on the plane so fingers crossed for no crying babies or that our new noise canceling headphones work). Any information you may have on these will be greatly appreciated:

Would suggest staying at one of the hotels on S.E. 17th St. They are very close to the pier, some withing walking distance of pier 2 where the Regal will most likely be docked. There is a low cost Sun Trolley that takes you to the beach area and various other locations in Ft. Lauderdale. There is also the water taxi right by the Hilton Marina, very nice but a little costly. You probably will have to pay a little extra for morning check in. Hotel prices are high as Jan is the vacation season. A taxi to the pier from SE 17th St. is $10, min fare & 5 mins. Hotel shuttles are normally more expensive. The Embassy Suites has a shopping mall just to the rear with a super market, restaurants, and other stores. There are lots of stores and restaurants all along SE 17th St.

"1. In the past on NCL I brought on cokes either in boxes or just put some in a rolling cooler (secured but with easy access so they could inspect to see it wasn’t alcohol). I have seen that it is okay to bring on beverages but would I be able to do the same? We really like having a cooler in the room so that we can keep our beverages ice cold as I only like them super cold and the fridges on NCL never kept them cold enough. Hoping that Princess is better but unlikely much better as they are usually tucked away so don't get enough circulation to keep them cooled down."

Yes you can do this, but have found the fridges work fine. If the fridge isn't cold enough keep the covering door open, make sure the vent area isn't blocked by curtains or something else, and place the ice bucket inside the fridge. Are you going to bring your cooler on the plane?

"3. Meet and greet – if that’s what it’s called on Princess? On NCL they would have the captain and some of the officers come down do a little presentation and give out numbers to call if you had any concerns then there would be time to meet fellow CC members. What usually happens on Princess?"

Similar. M&G's will be handled through the Cruise Critic Roll Call for your cruise. Some ship's officers usually attend.

4. Formal nights? How formal do you have to be – tuxes and evening gowns? If so I think we will dine in on those nights as that just isn’t our idea of a relaxing vacation.

DR dress is either smart casual or formal. This is defined in the Princess FAQ section. On formal nights from observation, men approx. 20% in true formal wear, 75+% in suit and tie or jacket and tie, a few will be in jacket, no tie, or just shirt and tie. Women, very few in gowns. Most in nice dress or outfit. As mentioned formal is only for the DR's, specialty dining is smart casual all the time, The remainder of the ship is casual all the time, although most passengers are not is beach wear during the evening. Shorts are not allowed in the DR for evening meals.

You should find the shows enjoyable. Production shows are about 35 mins long. Shows in the 8pm time frame are the most crowded, arrive at least 30 mins early. Late shows are not as crowded. There may also be an early 7pm show. There are also shows in the Vista Lounge and the shows can overlap. Some guest entertainers are good some not so good. Comics are mostly good and provide family friendly acts.

Further Information:

Being in a full suite you will be one of the first to experience Club Class Dining. Look up Princess Club Class for additional details. In the past full suite passengers were able to get "Breakfast at Sabatinis." This may or may not be replaced with Club Class Dining. Ask about it to see if it still is there, or check these boards. The first ship with Club Class will be in December and I'm certain there will be reports.

If you want to dine in the Crown Grill or Sabatini's just call the dine line or visit the restaurant on boarding day.

If you like buckets of sea food try the Crab Shack, Casual dining in a section of the buffet. Make reservations on board.

With this mentioned you may not need any specialty dining as you will have the new Club Class menus.

We like Alfredo's, a no charge waiter served with pizza, calzone, antipasto, salads, desserts. Open every day 11am to 11pm.

Do try the International Cafe. It's free. Open 24/7

Like wine? Try Vines.

Like gelato? Try it in the Piazza. There is a small charge for 3 scoops or you can get the scoops with a punch on the coffee card.

Like espresso drinks, get the coffee card, approx. $35. Unused punches never expire and can be used on the next Princess cruise.

If you're thinking of renting a car, we've had great luck with Thrifty. We pick up at the airport and return to their location that's right outside the entrance to Port Everglades. They provide a free shuttle to the ship. We've done it in reverse post-cruise as well.

That's enabled us to save a lot on hotels because we can go a bit further from the airport/cruise port. Next time we're staying out by Sawgrass Mills, a huge shopping and dining complex. However, my husband's parents lived in the Ft. Lauderdale area for nearly 30 years so sightseeing is not on our agenda.

A couple of times we've had a rental car while staying in a hotel that offers a shuttle. It's great fun while the lobby is filled with cruisers waiting for their turn to get on the bus/van. We roll our bags to our car, hop in and go!