Credit card, cash, debit card, travelers checks??

dmc6469

My friend will be going on her 1st cruise with me next month. She asked me today what would be easier, safer and the best to take. Good question. Last I sailed was 10 years ago and I really can't recall what I took. She has a credit card with a small limit ($400) so that isn't a lot for the week but then taking debit card to Mexico? Hmmm. :confused: Cash? Well, safe to walk around with cash? What do you guys think?

My friend will be going on her 1st cruise with me next month. She asked me today what would be easier, safer and the best to take. Good question. Last I sailed was 10 years ago and I really can't recall what I took. She has a credit card with a small limit ($400) so that isn't a lot for the week but then taking debit card to Mexico? Hmmm. :confused: Cash? Well, safe to walk around with cash? What do you guys think?

Cash in a money belt then put it in the cabin safe and only take into port the amount she thinks she'll spend in port.

Do not use a debit card.

Travelers checks are rarely accepted although many ships will accept them.

What is she using for her onboard account for service charged/gratuities??

She has a credit card with a small limit ($400) so that isn't a lot for the week but then taking debit card to Mexico? Hmmm. :confused: Cash? Well, safe to walk around with cash?

Agree with above member, how will she pay her onboard expenses (although her bill may be small if she has already pre-paid the gratuities)?

We use only cash in Mexico (USD are perfectly good and accepted everywhere). Sadly there have been too many stories here and elsewhere of fraud and stolen c/c info, so cash it is for us. It is perfectly safe to walk in Mexico but do not flash large amounts of cash or wear fancy jewelry. Use common sense (like you would anywhere).

Hi Deborah: I wouldnt take a debit card. In Mexican ports I am only taking

a VERY small amount in $1.00 bills. Those are accepted everywhere but credit

cards not accepted by street vendors. Also if you use them they charge foreign

exchange fees.

It is best to be careful and be safe.

Bon Voyage.

Audreyrose

Upon check in she will need to secure her on board account with cash or credit/debit card. A debit card is generally not recommended unless she has adequate $$$ in her bank account. A hold of several hundred dollars is placed on the bank account. The hold will affect the availability of funds in her bank account for other payments.

Her low limit credit card may prevent her from using the card to secure her on board account if the hold is high enough.

Alternatively she can use cash to secure her on board account and replenish it periodically as she spends it down. The bad of this is she'll have to bring cash.

Cash, USD presumably, is perfectly acceptable in Mexican cruise ports. As previously advised don't be flashy, small bills, and only bring what you expect to spend that day.

IMO, best would be to have a higher limit credit for the on-board account, which she can pay off with cash before she disembarks. Use cash and/or the low limit card (forget foreign transaction fees for this discussion) for her on shore buys.

Edited by Philob

We use a CREDIT card (never use debit!) for the onboard expenses. We bring cash for ashore and gambling.....NEVER use credit for gambling!

There is a safe in the cabin...so bring large bills (easier to carry) and the ship can break them into smaller bills.

We never use the same credit card ashore that we use for the ship....just in case the onshore CC is compromised...good to have a back up!

What is her backup plan if she misses the ship and has to buy a ticket home?

What if she breaks a leg and requires medical on an island that requires upfront payment?

She needs a credit card with a much higher limit. Depending on line, the ship may pre authorize as much as $100 per day for her on board expenses. Paying the gratuities as part of the up front costs helps, as does buying a drink package before boarding. She should NEVER use a debit card in a foreign port, or on board. Large amounts of cash in port is a bad idea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

She needs a credit card with a much higher limit. Depending on line, the ship may pre authorize as much as $100 per day for her on board expenses. Paying the gratuities as part of the up front costs helps, as does buying a drink package before boarding. She should NEVER use a debit card in a foreign port, or on board. Large amounts of cash in port is a bad idea.

Now I'm really confused. Everyone's saying that you do NOT need to have a credit card for onboard expenses. If you do cash, what I've been told is that you put a certain amount and if you hit that limit, you go to the desk and put more on your card. Not doing prepaid gratuities but giving cash to each at the end of cruise.

Now I'm really confused. Everyone's saying that you do NOT need to have a credit card for onboard expenses. If you do cash, what I've been told is that you put a certain amount and if you hit that limit, you go to the desk and put more on your card. Not doing prepaid gratuities but giving cash to each at the end of cruise.

It can be done that way, but usually for people who have prepaid for most of their expected on board expenses or someone with a lot of on board credit.

WRT gratuities: they are charged daily to your account. It will be part of the final bill.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not doing prepaid gratuities but giving cash to each at the end of cruise.

Giving cash gratuities in an envelope at the end are a thing of the past. Most main stream cruise lines now charge a fixed amount daily to the on board account. You may also pre-pay this before the cruise.

If the service is not up to par it should be addressed immediately while on board to the supervisor or guest services.

Of course the crew will appreciate any additional cash tips given :D

Edited by Philob

What many do (myself included) is to prepay gratuities. Among other things, it allows me to put that charge on my card several months before a cruise, and then I can pay it off, and I don't have that bill hanging over my head and limiting my available credit. And that is one stack of cash I don't need to carry with me. Then, onboard, I do use cash for extra gratuities to reward for exceptional service; this is a supplement to the standard prepaid gratuities.

I don't know if your friend's low-limit credit card is her choice or if that is all she can get right now. In either case, I would call the credit card company, ask them for a temporary 1 month increase in credit limit to $1500 or $2000. Or whatever the number is that she thought she would take in cash for an onboard account. If she does this and follows my tipping approach, then the only cash she needs to carry is for extra tips and for incidentals and souvenirs onshore.

By the way, everyone is saying "don't use a debit card!!!" That is probably good advice when it deals with the onboard account (because you really don't want those holds potentially blocking your main bank account!) and of course there is always a possibility that when you use a debit card at an ATM anyplace you will have the card details stolen. But definitely have the debit card along; it can be used safely with the onboard ATM to take out emergency cash if needed.

Stan

Giving cash at the end for gratuities is not good, JMO, but you get waiters in the WJ and lunch at different venues. We always do the auto-pay gratuities and give extra in cash at the end. She's going to run into problems and spend a lot of time in a LONG line at guest services if she intends to use cash for everything. My son-in-law tried that once and ended up so frustrated that he switched to a cc mid-cruise.

Giving cash at the end for gratuities is not good, JMO, but you get waiters in the WJ and lunch at different venues. We always do the auto-pay gratuities and give extra in cash at the end. She's going to run into problems and spend a lot of time in a LONG line at guest services if she intends to use cash for everything. My son-in-law tried that once and ended up so frustrated that he switched to a cc mid-cruise.

Using cash works if you put up enough to cover REALISTIC spending expectations - then you will not need to go back to guest services to deposit more, and simply get a refund at the end for whatever is left over.

Of course, if the friend has enough cash to do that, she should be able to either get an increased line on her credit card, get a prepaid card, or (worst case) leave sufficient cash in her account to use a debit card.

Thank you for all your responses. I will definitely print these out for her. I know that she wants to hand tips to people for more of a 'personal' touch, her beverage package is booked so as for onboard expenses I doubt she will have much.

Thank you for all your responses. I will definitely print these out for her. I know that she wants to hand tips to people for more of a 'personal' touch, her beverage package is booked so as for onboard expenses I doubt she will have much.

quaint, old fashioned notion that really causes more problems for the staff. she just needs to leave the normal charges on her account and bring a moderate amount of cash to tip additionally during the week. the staff will be far too busy that last night( in fact you may not even see your cabin steward at all) to wait around to be handed an envelope they have no wear to colorably or safely store on their person until they can get back to turn it in( yes if remove the daily charge just so you can hand them cash at the end they must turn all of it in to the pool to be redistributed. if she just tips extra in cash, they get to keep it al)

Better question is: With only $400 limit on credit card, how do her finances justify a cruise?

or maybe this is a card specifically for fun money. and she keeps the limit low to keep her expenses down.

or maybe $400/ month is all she can reasonably pay in full each month to save on interest. so she keeps the limit low on purpose.

or maybe the friend is paying for the cabin

or maybe it's none of your beeswax at all.

I find cash is the easiest to use, although I also bring a credit card, which I will only use at the bigger, nicer stores. For cash, I bring it in my carry-on and then put it in the safe onboard in my room. I will only take a certain amount out of the safe at each port. When swimming at a port, I wear a plastic pouch that goes around my neck and is waterproof (it is a pouch actually meant to keep an ipod dry in the water). Other than that, I carry a purse with my money in it and I am always careful with my purse.

Better question is: With only $400 limit on credit card, how do her finances justify a cruise?

How about she doesn't like to use credit and has enough to pay cash! People can have a lot of money and not use credit cards!!

Edited by dmc6469