The World

Just noticed The World is going to be here in Melbourne on Christmas Day.

First time I have ever heard of her.

Given the write up about the conditions & clientele.

I feel the need to spruce the place up a bit.

Do we need to clean off the sea-gull ****e & snot off the bollards or make other festive seasons preparations for her arrival ???

Is she worth getting my post Xmas luncheon arse out of the pre-strenthenged chair to go and have a look?

Or should I bare my considerable Elf a$$ in her general direction and just wish one of the pax is looking out the window at the right time and keep on drinking??

Just noticed The World is going to be here in Melbourne on Christmas Day.

First time I have ever heard of her.

Given the write up about the conditions & clientele.

I feel the need to spruce the place up a bit.

Do we need to clean off the sea-gull ****e & snot off the bollards or make other festive seasons preparations for her arrival ???

Is she worth getting my post Xmas luncheon arse out of the pre-strenthenged chair to go and have a look?

Or should I bare my considerable Elf a$$ in her general direction and just wish one of the pax is looking out the window at the right time and keep on drinking??

I choose D:p:D

I think the World is in Sydney when the Ovation is in on December 30th.

From what I've read The World often stays a couple days at a port. It's not like a regular cruise ship where they offload everyone (other than B2Bers) and head off again with a new load of cruisers. Also I think The World apartment owners vote on the itinerary each year. NYE in Sydney would be a popular choice I imagine.

30th dec Ovation/ circ quay arrv/0700 dep 1845

30 dec World/white bay/berth 4 arrv 1800 dep 1800 3rd jan 2017:) (interesting):)

And of course Crystal Symphony will also be here arriving 31/12 at White Bay then OPT on 1/1 then White Bay on 2/1 - were going to get a good number of under the bridge experiences - and a lovely day in Circular Quay on New Years Day

Don't expect too much . I believe its very quiet on board. I was chatting to the pianist on one cruise , who had a contract for a while on the World , and he said it was an extremely quiet and a lonely ship as most passengers stayed in their apartments.

I believe some of the owners put their residence into the letting pool and you can book one for a segment.

The World came into Batemans Bay about 6 years ago, worked on the visit as a Meeter and Greeter. The pax who came ashore spent almost zilch on land. The ship is due into Batemans Bay again in January, I believe, tender port.

The World came into Batemans Bay about 6 years ago, worked on the visit as a Meeter and Greeter. The pax who came ashore spent almost zilch on land. The ship is due into Batemans Bay again in January, I believe, tender port.

I would believe it. They have nearly everything they need on board.

Don't expect too much . I believe its very quiet on board. I was chatting to the pianist on one cruise , who had a contract for a while on the World , and he said it was an extremely quiet and a lonely ship as most passengers stayed in their apartments.

I believe some of the owners put their residence into the letting pool and you can book one for a segment.

I would need to do a search but someone had a friend who had an apartment and they were able to stay in it for two weeks. It was in these threads about 4 years ago.:D

I would believe it. They have nearly everything they need on board.

Including a mini market on board where they can buy some tucker for a cook up in their apartment. When the World was down here, I took a wealthy American passenger to the local seafood shop..Innes. He got 4 dozen Clyde River Oysters to take back to the ship.

Cant believe you have never heard of the ship Dobby - sooo much publicity when the apartments were all first sold.

A very prominent and wealthy Aussie lady was one of the first to buy one and still owns it but she only spends about 3 months a year in hers. I keep suggesting she adopts me so I can use the suite for the other 9 months.

I also have a friend who is on board twice a year for 2 weeks as a guest lecturer. They refuse to squeeze me into their luggage.

Its definitely not a party ship and its deliciously childfree. Its more akin to a luxury apartment complex in the CBD where everyone gets on with their own lives in their own homes and occasionally use the common areas.

Its run like a strata/body corp with AGMs etc and the itineraries are planned 2 years in advance. Next year its heading down into the Ross Sea for the first time and my lecturer pal is booked for that one.

To buy in you have to prove you have an annual income greater than $5mil US per year and the annual fees are $100k which include groceries.

Cant believe you have never heard of the ship Dobby - sooo much publicity when the apartments were all first sold.

A very prominent and wealthy Aussie lady was one of the first to buy one and still owns it but she only spends about 3 months a year in hers. I keep suggesting she adopts me so I can use the suite for the other 9 months.

I also have a friend who is on board twice a year for 2 weeks as a guest lecturer. They refuse to squeeze me into their luggage.

Its definitely not a party ship and its deliciously childfree. Its more akin to a luxury apartment complex in the CBD where everyone gets on with their own lives in their own homes and occasionally use the common areas.

Its run like a strata/body corp with AGMs etc and the itineraries are planned 2 years in advance. Next year its heading down into the Ross Sea for the first time and my lecturer pal is booked for that one.

To buy in you have to prove you have an annual income greater than $5mil US per year and the annual fees are $100k which include groceries.

She may adopt you, but you would probably end up in court all the time suing and being sued in family rifts. :D

I am pleased the groceries are included, a bit much otherwise. :rolleyes:

She may adopt you, but you would probably end up in court all the time suing and being sued in family rifts. :D

I am pleased the groceries are included, a bit much otherwise. :rolleyes:

Vegemite provided, no additional charge either.

One one of the other discussion boards I frequent there is a poster who has a friend with an apartment. He has been on one leg (think it was from Iceland to Quebec) and is going to be on one through the Ross Sea in January. Half his luck :) I want a friend like that.

He sent me a link for rental of apartments - eye watering!

To buy there is a minimum disposal income amount which you must meet to even get to look at an apartment.

Edited by Aussieflyer