Marriage license

Softballgirl04

I was Just wondering does just a copy of your marriage license work to take on your cruise or does it have to be the original? My birth certificate and dl don't match as I am married

The marriage license is just the bridging document showing that your name has changed. Most people who've taken theirs along have reported that they weren't even asked for it.

But, you should ask your cruise line (but don't take their word as gospel). Maybe check with the CBP website as to whether a bridging document is necessary.

A marriage license is considered a bridging document for your birth certificate to your drivers license. I always brought a certified copy of my marriage license when I was cruising with my birth certificate (I have passport now). You just never know when/if they will ask for it. Better to have it with you just in case. I was asked for mine once, I think it was our cruise a couple weeks post 9-11.

Edited by rnff2

You do NOT need a marriage lic.....NO married woman's BC matches her married name. Your BC and DL will be fine. They look at your birthdate.

And, again, wrong.

It is up to CBP, not the cruise line as to whether a bridging document is needed. It is on CBP's FAQ list regarding the WHTI that states that when a difference of name happens, a bridging document may be requested by CBP. If it is requested, it would be a disembarkation when interviewed by the CBP agent, and is totally up to the individual CBP agent as to whether it is needed. You would still be able to get back into the US, but if requested and not provided, it could cause delays while CBP searches the database.

You do NOT need a marriage lic.....NO married woman's BC matches her married name. ...

Really!?! I mean, really?!? You have never encountered a situation where a couple decides that the woman nor the man need to change names? You are not aware that many people left that old custom behind long ago? Wow, just wow. Been there, done that, and see no justification for the notion that women should give up their family name just because they are married.

But back to the OP's concern, I doubt if you will need the bridging document, but take a copy just in case.

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Really!?! I mean, really?!? You have never encountered a situation where a couple decides that the woman nor the man need to change names?

Stan

If a woman did not take on her hubbies surname then her B/C would match her current name right ???

Or am I missing something?

Edited by LHT28

If a woman did not take on her hubbies surname then her B/C would match her current name right ???

Or am I missing something?

No, you have it right. I was just baffled/amazed by the earlier post that asserted (with capital letters for emphasis) that NO married woman's birth certificate matches her married name. Of course, if the lady or the gent chooses to change their name, then the BC and current driver's license will be out of synch. If there is no name change, all is good. If there is a name change then, as others have said, a "bridging" document showing the link between original and revised name might be helpful.

I was Just wondering does just a copy of your marriage license work to take on your cruise or does it have to be the original? My birth certificate and dl don't match as I am married

Getting a passport in your married name would solve your problem.

I believe it is a marriage certificate that you might want to carry. A marriage license just gives you permission to marry, doesn't show that you were married, in my state, anyway.

A passport eliminates any uncertainty.

And, again, wrong.

It is up to CBP, not the cruise line as to whether a bridging document is needed. It is on CBP's FAQ list regarding the WHTI that states that when a difference of name happens, a bridging document may be requested by CBP. If it is requested, it would be a disembarkation when interviewed by the CBP agent, and is totally up to the individual CBP agent as to whether it is needed. You would still be able to get back into the US, but if requested and not provided, it could cause delays while CBP searches the database.

And the key words of course are "may be requested". Now, CBP doesn't say under what circumstances the document may be requested but I'm going to hazard a SWAG that on a closed loop cruise it's probably very infrequently requested. The passenger's info is run against the databases including DMV during the cruise and the information regarding the name change is contained in that database.

Of course carrying one more document isn't a big deal, but if for some reason someone can't bring it that doesn't mean that it's time to panic.

Getting a passport in your married name would solve your problem.

And interestingly enough the marriage license isn't one of the documents that needs to be submitted to get the passport :) (unless of course you already have one and are changing your name on the passport as a result).

The only time I brought my marriage certificate is when I traded in a car still registered in my maiden name. I've never brought out my marriage certificate for anything else.

Getting a microchip implant will solve all our problems. A quick scan and I'll be waved on through.

**kidding**

You think that would work? US government? All mariners, and anyone who accesses port security areas (taxi drivers, truck drivers, longshoremen, marine vendor representatives, shipping line office personnel, port chaplains) in the US have had to have a Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC) for about a decade now, that has all of your biometric and ID information encoded on the card. To this day, there has never been a working scanner produced that can read this information. We are required to pay for this card, it is issued by TSA, but at many airports even today, it is not accepted as a valid form of ID for airline travel, by the TSA.

And the key words of course are "may be requested". Now, CBP doesn't say under what circumstances the document may be requested but I'm going to hazard a SWAG that on a closed loop cruise it's probably very infrequently requested. The passenger's info is run against the databases including DMV during the cruise and the information regarding the name change is contained in that database.

Of course carrying one more document isn't a big deal, but if for some reason someone can't bring it that doesn't mean that it's time to panic.

Correct. It is likely requested when something in the electronic data doesn't look right to the interviewing agent, or he/she has had a particularly bad day. It is rare, but it does happen.

As you say, it's not a cause for panic, but it may, repeat may, cause a delay and frustration at disembarkation.

I'd also recommend getting a passport with your current name. It's a useful document to have and the cost is tiny when spread out over several years. Someone has mentioned that US passports do not require a marriage license. Here in Canada they ARE required. This created a substantial problem for my mom, who was incorrectly told it wouldn't be necessary. We had to order her marriage license from the provincial government at the "rush" rate and then have the passports "rushed" as well.

Let me add a vote for: Just get a passport, already! ;)

Back when we first started cruising, I did a couple of closed-loop sailings with my drivers' license and certified birth certificate. It was never suggested (nor would it have occurred to me) to bring my marriage license with me, as well. Having to drag yet another piece of paper with me would have motivated me to get a passport, even sooner than I did! :eek:

I'd also recommend getting a passport with your current name. It's a useful document to have and the cost is tiny when spread out over several years. Someone has mentioned that US passports do not require a marriage license. Here in Canada they ARE required. This created a substantial problem for my mom, who was incorrectly told it wouldn't be necessary. We had to order her marriage license from the provincial government at the "rush" rate and then have the passports "rushed" as well.

That's the difference between countries, the US doesn't require the marriage license for a first time passport. (And while the cost may be tiny when spread out over several years we can't get them that way, they have to be paid for completely up front:).)

That's the difference between countries, the US doesn't require the marriage license for a first time passport. (And while the cost may be tiny when spread out over several years we can't get them that way, they have to be paid for completely up front:).)

I am not sure what you mean by. "... the US doesn't require the marriage license (don't you mean certificate?) for a first time passport". Proof of identity IS required, along with proof of eligibility for a US passport. Eligibility is ordinarily proven by providing a birth certificate -- obviously in the name in which the passport is to be issued. If there has been a change of name (by marriage, court order, or whatever) documentation is required - marriage certificate or court order must be shown - Dept. of State is not going to issue a passport for a Mary Jones whose only documentation is a birth certificate for a Mary Smith.