Whats your favorite Caribbean ports to just stay on the ship?

George C

Yes, it was one of our favorite walks from Havensight. Gave us something interesting

to explore, and a chance to walk off that dessert from the previous night. ;) :D[/quote

We always do that walk also. Except now it sounds like our stop on our upcoming Jewel Cruise we won't be doing it as we will be docking at Crown Bay. We are considering walking from Crown Bay into Charlotte Amalie.

Should definitely be a much shorter walk of course. Was looking online

at a restaurant with pretty good reviews near the Haulover cut on the point,

called "Oceana". Wonder if anyone on board has been there?

We are always up for a walking adventure! :)

There is also a sushi restaurant called Enkai. Always up for

sushi too. So many interesting restaurants for lunch..

so little time. ;)

Edited by island lady

• 3 weeks later...

If we were doing a brand new itinerary -- the Med, Mexico, Alaska, whatever -- no doubt we'd be off the ship at most (all?) ports.

As for the Carib, other than the islands I mentioned in an earlier post, my wife and I are very content to have a reasonably empty ship, with no crowds at the pool, to get some real relaxation & done.

YMMV,

Michael

We always get off the ship, even if it is just to check out shops at the pier. But if I were planning on staying on, it would be Belize. There is pretty much nothing to do unless you are doing an excursion. I would not feel safe venturing off alone. The one time we went there, we did a beach excursion through the ship, which was okay, but we were stuck there. All of us got horribly sunburned and no amount of sunscreen could have prevented it. There was no shade and literally nothing else to do but sit on the beach or play in the water. The port area had nothing and the deals were not that great.

Perhaps St. Maarten, I just was not really that interested in it either time we went.

I was not incredibly impressed with Nassau, but at least there were deals to be found on souveniers.

One port I will never skip, no matter how many times we go (unless I am sick or physically unable to debark that is) would be Cozumel. I absolutely love this port. Paradise beach is lovely as is Chankanaab. I have been wanting to go to Mr. Sanchos, but never made it. Even if I am "beached" out I would walk around the port and buy some cheap t-shirts and have a few drinks. Its one of the cheapest places for souveniers and we can stock up on t-shirts for wearing to work out, under DH's uniform at work, etc. Plus, DH likes to pick up a couple of cold cheap cans of beer and have a drink or two while I look around.

Perhaps St. Maarten, I just was not really that interested in it either time we went.

I'm surprised. I think that this is the first time in this and similar threads that I've seen St. Maarten listed as a place to stay onboard. Such a wide variety of available activities and so many popular excursions.

Am slightly puzzled why people repeated sail the same itinerary (more or less). Is there no interest in seeing new places? I realize that there are individuals who just like to cruise for the sheer relaxation....someone cooks for you...another picks up after you, and there is always something to do at night. I like to think of a cruise as an extremely comfortable way to go new places and explore different parts of the world. I guess it takes all of us to make it work out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same reason people visit Disney World many times. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it's more a question of which ports NOT to stay on the ship. Don't get me wrong, Most of the islands are beautiful and more than worth seeing once or twice -- some more than that. But after twenty years of cruising I am more than happy to make the ship my destination, getting off only at maybe only one port for a beach day. I LOVE the serenity on the ship on port days.

For me it's more a question of which ports NOT to stay on the ship. Don't get me wrong, Most of the islands are beautiful and more than worth seeing once or twice -- some more than that. But after twenty years of cruising I am more than happy to make the ship my destination, getting off only at maybe only one port for a beach day. I LOVE the serenity on the ship on port days.

Maybe it's time to consider a holiday ashore. :)

Nassau!

If we call to St. Thomas and we dock at Crown Bay we stay onboard. If we are lucky enough to dock at Havensight we get off. Like the shopping at Havensight.

ALL Royal ships go to Crown Point now...sigh...will miss that shopping and our

visit to Benny Iguanas at Havensight. Time to check out the other side of the

port now I guess. ;)

Edited by island lady

So interesting to read people's opinions. For me, I love exploring new places. My last cruise had a stop in both Belize and Roatan. Our whole group (five of us in all) really enjoyed both ports. We hired a private guide for both and we saw some really great things. In Belize, we visited their small zoo. One of the best zoos I've ever seen with very animal friendly habitats. We also saw Mayan ruins which were incredible. Learned so much there! In Roatan, we held monkey's and macaws and visited a local school (I'm a teacher) where we donated school supplies. These are poor countries, but have so much to offer and we so enjoyed talking with our guides and getting a better understanding of their life and culture. This is what cruising is all about to me. Are people basing their opinions simply on the port area? If so, you have judged a book by it's cover and missed out on some fun adventures. But, that's just my experience.

With all that said, we are cruising again in April and Falmouth, Jamaica is one of our stops. I've again looked into hiring a guide to show us the island, but am on the fence what to do because I hear sooo many people say they just won't get off there. For those who will not get off the ship there, why do you dislike it there so much? Is it a safety issue? Is it lack of things to see? Just curious, as we decide how to spend our day. We've never chosen to stay on the ship before.

Our last cruise [emoji568] we did not get off at either port (5 day) and the cruise before that we only got off in Cozumel. We really love being on the ship while others are off exploring. Plus when I have a beverage package I want to use it as much as possible!! Lol

For our next cruise we will definitely get off in Labadee and St Kitts as we have never been to either. Not sure about San Juan and will stay on the ship for St Maarten as hubby did not care for it the two times we have visited in the past.

Edited by dizneydawn

I'm surprised. I think that this is the first time in this and similar threads that I've seen St. Maarten listed as a place to stay onboard. Such a wide variety of available activities and so many popular excursions.

We stayed onboard at St. Maarten last month for the first time; I guess we have reached the point of accepting that we have seen and done all we want to do on the islands. We always get off at Labadee and Cozumel, the rest we think about and make our decision that day. If we feel like spending the day on the beach then off we go.

We automatically stay on board at Belize and Falmouth.

Love 5 night cruises and totally enjoy our time on the ship.

Kathy

(Yes, we have even stayed onboard the whole time :o)

So interesting to read people's opinions. For me, I love exploring new places. My last cruise had a stop in both Belize and Roatan. Our whole group (five of us in all) really enjoyed both ports. We hired a private guide for both and we saw some really great things. In Belize, we visited their small zoo. One of the best zoos I've ever seen with very animal friendly habitats. We also saw Mayan ruins which were incredible. Learned so much there! In Roatan, we held monkey's and macaws and visited a local school (I'm a teacher) where we donated school supplies. These are poor countries, but have so much to offer and we so enjoyed talking with our guides and getting a better understanding of their life and culture. This is what cruising is all about to me. Are people basing their opinions simply on the port area? If so, you have judged a book by it's cover and missed out on some fun adventures. But, that's just my experience.

With all that said, we are cruising again in April and Falmouth, Jamaica is one of our stops. I've again looked into hiring a guide to show us the island, but am on the fence what to do because I hear sooo many people say they just won't get off there. For those who will not get off the ship there, why do you dislike it there so much? Is it a safety issue? Is it lack of things to see? Just curious, as we decide how to spend our day. We've never chosen to stay on the ship before.

I have been to both Ocho Rios and Falmouth. On our stop at Ocho Rios, we booked DRF and a beach day with lunch. We were TOLD not to wander around! That it was very unsafe. We kept to our tour only. On our stop at Falmouth, we were turned off by the area completely, once you got past the cruise port shops. We booked a cruise line beach day with lunch, and they bused us far away to a crappy beach with crappy lunch. Never again! I now either avoid any cruise that stops in Jamaica, or do not leave ship. My daughter was there recently and said the street vendors are very aggressive, and some even trying to sell you marijuana.

PictureNana- the reason we'd probably skip getting of the boat in Jamaica is as follows:

The time there we went on an awesome excursion that took me everywhere I wanted to see (including walking up the Falls). So glad I did this! No regrets :)

Second time there DH was home, and I was with friends. We walked a little too far away from the port area shopping, and it was a little "scary". Not only did I get approached to buy weed a couple of times, we had a tour guy offer the group of us gals, age 40-60+, a "special party" with him- icky!!!! I don't feel a need to do that again. After that we found a driver to take us to a beach. It was ok, but quite a ways away, and nothing special.

Because of the reasons above, unless my travel partner wanted to take an excursion, I'd probably just stay on the boat and enjoy the sun and my drink package :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by vacationlover_mn

I did not recall Crown Bay being that much further from Haven port, so we still go downtown shopping regardless.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's called Havensight pier and port area. ;) Would probably help to Google

the distance....you may be surprised at the distance. OK for a taxi, and OK for

someone (like us) that loves to walk and get some good exercise, but not

good for some others that can't easily walk that far.

Edited by island lady

We stayed onboard at St. Maarten last month for the first time; I guess we have reached the point of accepting that we have seen and done all we want to do on the islands. We always get off at Labadee and Cozumel, the rest we think about and make our decision that day. If we feel like spending the day on the beach then off we go.

We automatically stay on board at Belize and Falmouth.

Love 5 night cruises and totally enjoy our time on the ship.

Kathy

(Yes, we have even stayed onboard the whole time :o)

St. Maarten is my favorite place to buy hats! ;) :D

And I am actually right now having a Latte out of my favorite

mug I bought at our usual place for lunch along the boardwalk there.

Edited by island lady