Whats your favorite Caribbean ports to just stay on the ship?

George C

We've been to most of them multiple times, too. For instance, St. Thomas: 15 times. So we stay on the ship at most of them. But if I had to warn people I'd say Nassau, San Juan (at night anyway ... the place where I really got scared), Grenada (had a local threaten our bus driver), and Caracas, Venezuela (yes I know, not really the Caribbean). We were caught up in a riot in Caracas back when it was common for cruise ships to still go there.

In as much as we are not able to cruise often, usually every two years, we look for new places to see. One exception has been 2014, 2015 when we had cruises booked. We will cruise in July with friends our 2nd Caribbean cruise since 2004 out of Galveston and again April 2018 on the Freedom's 8 day but it was hard finding Ports we haven't been to.

What ports to you just skip and stay on the ship?

San Juan is one of the ones I skip since its more of a city and no close beaches ( another reason is I have done it so often)

I also can be tempted at most places that we need to tender ( only if I have been there many times)

Just like a almost empty ship, with plenty of chairs around the pool and no crowd at the bar

( have done about 50 Caribbean cruises)

'

Nassau

I'd say my local port of Limon, Costa Rica... No shops, no reliable transportation, no landmarks, the town is ruined down, it's an industrial port, far from beaches and natural beauties, no cultural activities nor attractions, and it's an unsafe place.

Isn't this kinda an interesting topic. When we went on our first cruise how wonderful it was. Big Red Boat 4 day , Freeport and Great Guana Cay how wonderful it was. Now after 20 plus cruises we are concerned about which ports are are leased favorite Sad state of affaires

I really enjoy almost all the ports. I love the opportunity to at least get out and walk if I am not interested in tours away from the port. And we are beach people so we can almost always find one. St Thomas, St Maarten and Aruba are tops.

That said - we usually stay on in Nassau. And Falmouth. My husband is not fond of Dominica so we will probably stay on in the future.

Ok - Cozumel is old but we can get cheap beers and good ceviche!! Costa Maya is a favorite - went to the very end of Mahahual and spent $36 on food and drink all day. I actually love tender ports - can't wait to go on a boat ride!! Oddball favorites - St Kitts, Grenada, Cayo Levantato.

I've never been on a bad cruise. Even in a hurricane!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Costa Maya is a favorite - went to the very end of Mahahual and

spent $36 on food and drink all day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree! :D

We always go to see Ex Pat Steve from Texas who runs Tropicante about

mid way along the strip. Always a great time, and his Ceviche, nachos,

and handmade Margaritas are fantastic! Great beers also.

Reserve online in advance and he will have a

lounger and table waiting for you at his nice sandy

beach, right on the water's edge, all at no extra charge.

Pretty much all we could drink and eat for around 40 bucks

for two. Nice! :)

Edited by island lady

Falmouth. There's nothing there and everything else is a hike.

Nassau is a close second. But there are some really nice shops where one can purchase locally-made, quality goods at reasonable prices. There are also some off-the-beaten-path places one can visit, i.e. Lyford Cay.

Cozumel does get old but Nachi Cocom and some of the other beaches make getting off the ship worthwhile especially on a nice day. I'll also get off the ship to make some cheap Rx purchases.

So much to see and do in Belize, Roatan, San Juan, St Maarten, St Thomas and some of the other islands. Just need to do the research and determine what it is you want to do differently on your next trip.

With that said, I perfectly understand the allure of staying on the ship. To each our own.

Except now RCI no longer docks at Havensight. :(

Will miss that.

Will be our first time docking at Crown Point next month.

However, it is just a short walk from Crown Point docks to the Crown Bay Marina where you can easily catch the ferry to Water Island, a much less crowded area than St. Thomas and with some nice beaches. We did that several years ago and really enjoyed ourselves.

However, it is just a short walk from Crown Point docks to the Crown Bay Marina where you can easily catch the ferry to Water Island, a much less crowded area than St. Thomas and with some nice beaches. We did that several years ago and really enjoyed ourselves.

Haven't done that yet. Would like to check it out sometime.

Thanks for the info! :)

I will still miss having our favorite sushi lunch at Benny Iquana's

at Havensight...but am starting to research some different

restaurants near Crown Point now.

Edited by island lady

Haven't done that yet. Would like to check it out sometime.

Thanks for the info! :)

Will be first time for us docking at Crown Point. I will still

miss having our favorite sushi lunch at Benny Iquana's

at Havensight...but am starting to research some different

restaurants near Crown Point now.

It's just a short cab ride over to Havensight from Crown Bay.

Do you ever go into Charlotte Amalie.

Yes, it was one of our favorite walks from Havensight. Gave us something interesting

to explore, and a chance to walk off that dessert from the previous night. ;) :D

Edited by island lady

Yes, it was one of our favorite walks from Havensight. Gave us something interesting

to explore, and a chance to walk off that dessert from the previous night. ;) :D[/quote

We always do that walk also. Except now it sounds like our stop on our upcoming Jewel Cruise we won't be doing it as we will be docking at Crown Bay. We are considering walking from Crown Bay into Charlotte Amalie.