Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Quickly reading through these last posts before going off to entertain visitors. I totally agree with Jeff's recommendations, and MissS. should be alert to any change which might negatively impact the conditions to which she signed for. Reading all that's been happening, I personally will wait to book SS until all is sorted out. I've begun reading on Hapag Lloyd's Europa 2, which has very positive reviews. Any of our Cooler friends has cruised her, or has information to share?

Thanks, Jeff. The upper limit for claims rose from £5000 to £10,000 on 1 Apr this year and the procedure is reasonably straightforward so that remains a last ditch option. I've used it before (many years ago but I'm sure it's still reasonably simple) so am happy to go that way if necessary.

What I'm hoping, though, is that SS will concede that they need to make suitable restitution for the reduced days and disappointment. I'm not in any rush - as long as it's sorted by COP tomorrow!

TTS, that is really annoying. They better make it good, after taking your money way in advance.

A little US geographical trivia for Jeff. (1) Chicago is on the shore of Lake Michigan, but it's in the state of Illinois. (2) the upper part of Michigan is further north than Toronto. See map screenshot. Toronto is the blue dot. Chicago is red. The solid white line is the US-Canada wall (border, just teasing mysty).

Michigan has the Upper Peninsula (the UP) which is across Lake Michigan from the lower peninsula. The LP is shaped like a mitten, so Michiganders ways refer to their location by the hand position (i live on the thumb, palm, pinky finger, etc.)

The five Great Lakes are shown. Top left is Lake Superior. Below it, to the west of Michigan, is Lake Michigan. Lake Huron is on the thumb side (east side) of LP Michigan. Then Lake Erie, and Lake Ontario.

One last bit of trivia. Lake Michigan is the only great lake which is wholly in the US. We will need to build a marine wall across the other four to keep mysty out. [emoji6]

We're staying at the gold star on the top of the LP. The one on the right is Traverse City, named because you get a ferry from here to traverse to the UP.

04b2095f7d3de67f579d81af89892684.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thanks, Jeff. The upper limit for claims rose from £5000 to £10,000 on 1 Apr this year and the procedure is reasonably straightforward so that remains a last ditch option. I've used it before (many years ago but I'm sure it's still reasonably simple) so am happy to go that way if necessary.

What I'm hoping, though, is that SS will concede that they need to make suitable restitution for the reduced days and disappointment. I'm not in any rush - as long as it's sorted by COP tomorrow!

That's right. I have used the small claims route a few times. It is always only a last resort. Our consultancy business also offered a pseudo legal practice when customers were threatening our clients with legal action we would give them advice about optimum handling.

You may have read some time back that we had the largest holiday claim by value at the time many years ago back in 1976. That was a 5 day high court action, and was a "breach of contract" claim, and several of the precedents set in that claim are now referred to, mostly in the compensatory calculations bit. It was the highest ever amount offered as compensation for "vexation, aggravation, and disappointment" as the aged but wise judge described it. :)

As long as you have fun getting there!

Chicago always sticks in my mind, because for some reason or other AA had noted on my profile something or other that meant the station manager always came to find me when passing through and thanked me for flying AA.

The planes to Rochester though were always manky with torn plastic upholstery and Rochester airport was a single landing strip. The airport bus to town center was one of those really ancient coaches with backward slanting windows. I think it was 1920s or 1930s latest.

I use to enjoy Rochester, although far too many people you saw were ill because Mayo Clinic is there. I once had my boss with me and he was impressed that I knew all the bars and they all knew me by name. It was in Rochester where I first discovered that Americans freeze Michelob glasses and it was the first time I realised that Americans were truly cultured after all. ;)

Update to the cruise itinerary change thing. SS came back and accept that this is a material change and have offered 3 alternatives, one of which was a full refund. The second alternative did not interest me and the third almost did but was a little more parsimonious than I had hoped for. I have asked them to reconsider the third option a little more generously and they will get back to me. I won't go into detail because I think it's best to keep these things in camera until the situation is resolved.

The upshot, though, is that, at the very least, we will get our money back should they fail to give me what I consider adequate compensation for the changes.

We had an issue 3 years or so ago which was resolved to my satisfaction and, after speaking to the agent on the 'phone, I am confident that they will look after us properly again this time. I hope that's not misplaced faith!

Great news!

I hope you get exactly what you seek.

I'm actually quite impressed they responded so quickly and had the offers ready to make without any chin-scratching. Now, if they just go that extra yard I'll remain a contented SS traveller.

Thanks again for taking the trouble earlier with the legal advice.

Edited by Tothesunset

O no.

Did silversea change the TA from Southampton to New York in 2018?

Sorry, can't answer the question. From the vibes I got on the phone today there have been other itineraries affected but the only thing to do is check on the SS website and look closely at the detailed itinerary on the relevant cruise listing.

A little US geographical trivia for Jeff. (1) Chicago is on the shore of Lake Michigan, but it's in the state of Illinois. (2) the upper part of Michigan is further north than Toronto. See map screenshot. Toronto is the blue dot. Chicago is red. The solid white line is the US-Canada wall (border, just teasing mysty).

JP....Ha Ha, Ha! Good one with the "keeping mysty out"! I'm actually quite a nice tourist!

Appreciate J.P's good map and details about the Great Lakes, Ohio's northern border, etc. Have good friends and travel partners who are departing tomorrow morning for Michigan's scenic U.P. Yes, that area around Traverse City is also super wonderful. Lots of folks we know in Central Ohio like to go up to these areas for the summer. We welcome good folks from Canada like Mysty to travel south to Ohio and spend your money here.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 226,612 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Just saw you are going to Traverse City area. My favorite get-a-way spot. Where are you staying?

Be prepared for wine tasting. Michigan produces some of the best Riesling in the world. The Reds are getting better, but there is a lot of fruit wines, especially cherry.

It is our states own little piece of heaven. I recommend a drive up Old Mission Peninsula (between the two bays) and visit Brys Estate Winery and 2 Lads winery. Chateau Chantal is beautiful, but I don't enjoy their wines. It is also at the top end of Old Mission Peninsula. A wonderful place to eat is Trattoria Stella in the Commons (just south of town on 11th street). It is the old state hospital that has been renovated and has shops and restaurants. I do recommend a reservation as this is a very busy time of year up there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shots. Awesome! We are staying at Chateau Chantal with our friends. So we're right on the Mission Peninsula.

Definitely looking forward to tasting more great Riesling. Have to see how they compare to NY State vintages. Plans are nebulous otherwise. Will come back with more questions later. Thanks!

PS. Hope I didn't embarrass myself by getting any geography wrong... [emoji6]

Jeff, there is a restaurant and inn called Old Mission, and that may have started then. Not sure.

JP, geography was close. However, there is no direct route or ferry from Traverse City to the UP. No ferries from there. There are ferries to other islands.

I suggest you drive all the way to the top of Old Mission, about 2 miles north of where you are staying. There is a beautiful lighthouse and a beach. Caution, water is always COLD!

Make sure to check out the OTHER Peninsula, Leelanau, a drive to Fish Town in Leland is worth it.

If you want a GREAT PUB with good food and craft beer, check out North Peak downtown. There is also a nightly food truck rally called Little Fleet that is the happening place to be every evening.

You are going to experience my favorite location on earth in the summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Morning Coolers!

Today is going to be an odd lunch I know ..... but it is what was fancied! Kipper fillets with butter and Sarsons and some toasted ciabatta. Some strong fishy flavours.

It is sad to read about the Spirit disruption but I suspect that when things evolve a bit most people will feel it is OK. SS will say that they "had no option because Spirit needed some critical work and we combined this with other plans we had for spirit to minimise disruption". The net effect is that it will increase SS trade as people who know and love Spirit will want to experience what will be a new and improved ship with new facilities with lessons learned on Muse considered. There will be competition and higher headline diems with - who knows - faux discounts for those disrupted. ;)

I couldn't resist it I found a great offer on the Red Krups Sub, and several different beers are currently being pre-cooled for imbibing tommorow! I have some IPA, some Pilsner and some other beers all awaiting to be tried. It is just another harmless kitchen toy to play with.... And also tommorow I am going to experiement with some other pickling. I have also added where another customer placed theirs .......... :)

61hrrLddpML._SL1000_.jpg

19120422_1923428871232921_4875617097410936832_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTUzNDk4OTE3OTQ3MjEzOTA3OA%3D%3D.2

JP, geography was close. However, there is no direct route or ferry from Traverse City to the UP. No ferries from there. There are ferries to other islands. I suggest you drive all the way to the top of Old Mission, about 2 miles north of where you are staying. There is a beautiful lighthouse and a beach. Caution, water is always COLD! Make sure to check out the OTHER Peninsula, Leelanau, a drive to Fish Town in Leland is worth it.

WOW!! The "Cooler" has been hot, HOT lately with so much interesting sharing, nice visuals and info from Jeff, people getting ready to do fun trips, etc. Today, we have my wife's brother and his spouse flying in today from Kansas to be here for about a week or so. Normally, August is a more "laid-back" month. Love ALL of the great info on Michigan. In the future, we need to do much more exploring in those areas. As I mentioned earlier, our good friends locally are departing this morning for Michigan U.P., etc.

Lots also happening regarding the weather. Spins and southern Florida has been hit very hard with high temperatures and lots of rain. Also, HOT, HOT out in the the NW USA. Doing just fine here in central Ohio with mild temperatures and good conditions.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 184,768 views for this posting.

aba11eca9506a4d178ee2bbb4785eb6f.jpg

Very interesting picture above by Jeff. BUT, my "guessing machine" is not working that well this morning. Tell us what we are seeing. Plus, any other details, background, "the rest of the story", etc.

Super loved so many different parts of the Caribbean in 2015!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples for historic San Juan, etc., at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2264847