Nice Hotels in Ft. Lauderdale near cruise port

chicodog

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

First, you need to define "nice". If you are talking 4 or 5 star, those typically don't include free shuttles.

Come over to the portion of Cruise Critic devoted to the Florida area, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

where you will find dozens of discussions on hotels in Ft Lauderdale. You should note a common suggestion to not focus on free shuttles, as the distances in the area are not great, taxis are plentiful and relatively cheap. But you will find a few hotels with shuttle.

The Renaissance Hotel is right across from the cruise port and they offer a shuttle over to port for $6.00 pp. We have stayed there twice and liked it. Also, just down the street is The Hilton Marina, which is also nice. I've stayed there once. I don't remember if they offer a shuttle. There are several restaurants on that street, also. I believe the street is 17th SE.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Concur on the renaissance and Hilton. We have stayed at both and like them. The embassy suites is on the same street and also offers a shuttle. It is also closer to total wine!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome. Yes, the Florida board (link already given) is where to do your research; most of the threads are about hotels in Fort Lauderdale and in Miami. You just have to do a little reading, make some notes, visit the websites to get pricing, and such.

As well, don't get all caught up in the "shuttle" part. Many hotels provide this for a fee or as part of the room rate, but Fort Lauderdale is easy to navigate with a rental car or by taxi.

Any hotel in the 17th St. area is close to the airport and Port Everglades. You are within walking distance of store and restaurants, and taxi fares are relatively inexpensive. If you want to be on or near the beach, that's another area.

I personally like the Embassy Suites.

Roz

Even though there is no shuttle, the Riverside on Las Olas will always be my go to due to the fantastic location surrounded by shopping and restaurants. Uber is only about $10 between the hotel and the port.

Concur on the renaissance and Hilton. We have stayed at both and like them. The embassy suites is on the same street and also offers a shuttle. It is also closer to total wine!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was also going to mention Embassy Suites, as it is just up the street, but when I was recently looking for reservations and considering it, I heard that it was showing its age, with a lot of wear and tear. They also had a problem last Fall with bed bugs, but that's not unusual in hotels in South Florida. You just need to be diligent with checking beds, etc when you check into room. I think they were in process of possibly updating, but not quite positive on that. I always like Embassy for their evening reception and free buffet breakfast. And, yes, there is a wine store nearby. There is also a drug store for any last minute needs you didn't pack. There are several chain restaurants, but we enjoyed going to the Bimini Boatyard which is somewhat back by a shopping plaza directly behind the Renaissance Hotel. A great beginning to a vacation, good food, and outdoor deck over the waterway. I think I do remember eating out by the waterway at a restaurant at the Hilton Marina, too. And with the Hilton, you can see all the big fancy yachts docked right there. Have fun! We decided on going into South Beach this time for our hotel, and cruise out of POM, although we always fly into Ft Lauderdale.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have stayed many, many times at the Embassy Suites both pre and post cruise. They have a managers cocktail party in the evening -- free drinks. They also have a free full breakfast every morning. There is a restaurant in the hotel.

Behind the hotel is the Harbor Shops plaza which has a grocery store where you can pick up anything you may have forgotten to pack. There are also several restaurants.

The hotel has a "paid" for shuttle to the cruise terminals.

We prefer to use taxis.

OP...We stay at either the Hampton Inn Airport North (complimentary hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel) or the Embassy Suites (no hotel shuttle). Both places offer a complimentary breakfast. Both are close to Port Everglades. We always take a taxi over to the PE. Leave when we want to and the cost for the taxi is reasonable.

Edited by davekathy

• 2 months later...

Having been to the Ft Lauderdale dozens of times (plus having lived nearby) we could care less about shuttle service. Why? Because if we happen to be at a hotel with free shuttle service...we generally avoid it (because of the crowds and hassles) and simply call Uber or a taxi (which costs us less than $20 from any area hotel). We prefer the 17th Street Embassy Suites (with no free shuttle service) because we like the hotel and love its location. There are several decent restaurants within walking distance (we prefer Kelly;s Landing where we can get real Maine lobster) not to mention a few excellent liquor stores and a super market. Our advice is that before choosing a hotel, give a lot of consideration where you want to eat dinner! Many hotels with free shuttle service do not have a convenient location to restaurants or last minute shopping.

Hank