iPhone Clock App to Stay on Ship Time?

mackjack9139

Hello! I'm looking for an iPhone app that is a clock that will not change with time zones, so I can set it to ship time and use it like an old fashioned wrist watch to keep ship's time at all times. Does anyone know if this exists? Or can I set the iPhone clock to not change as location/time zone changes? I have searched the App Store without luck, but maybe I am not searching the correct terms.

My phone will be in airplane mode but with Wifi on for Zoom (RCI internet).

Hello! I'm looking for an iPhone app that is a clock that will not change with time zones, so I can set it to ship time and use it like an old fashioned wrist watch to keep ship's time at all times. Does anyone know if this exists? Or can I set the iPhone clock to not change as location/time zone changes? I have searched the App Store without luck, but maybe I am not searching the correct terms.

You don't need an app. Just go into your Settings and take the Date/Time off of Automatic mode.

• Thanks 1

Ship time is usually the same as local time do your 'clock' will need you to keep track of the inevitable time zone changes

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is true maybe 50% of the time. Not a good thing to rely on, but even more important is that sometimes the ship pulls its time from UTC, and then the phone would get set to UTC, which helps not at all.

Simple solution - buy a watch. They sell them for as little as $10 - $20.

DON

• Like 1

DON

Why paid for something that you don't need? It's not a simple, just learn how to use the phone and you won't need a wrist watch.

The easiest way to stay on ship time is a plain old fashioned wrist watch.

The easiest way is to just turn off automatic date/time update.

Why paid for something that you don't need? It's not a simple, just learn how to use the phone and you won't need a wrist watch.

For many people, it's far easier for them to buy a watch than try to learn how to operate their phone's features. Think of all the people who never touch the "settings" button and who would be scared s***less if they had to.

For many people, it's far easier for them to buy a watch than try to learn how to operate their phone's features. Think of all the people who never touch the "settings" button and who would be scared s***less if they had to.

...hand timidly raised... ;)

I have yet to really explore my 6-month old smartphone. I've used the camera in basic mode, loaded my favorite iPad apps to it, and figured out how to use the phone and text, and use Siri to make my grocery list. Other than that, I haven't needed/wanted to learn more. BUT, I have ALWAYS worn a watch. I feel naked when I forget it. I'll keep my watch tuned to whatever time I need to be sure I make it back to the ship on time...

DON

I bought a watch with two faces and movements years ago. I'm digging it out of a drawer and having the batteries replaced. Problem solved.

Good luck.

Edited by lagunalady27

I think people are over whelmed. Every time you upgrade, you have lots to learn. As for myself, I try to keep things simple.

:DMy phone switched itself to ship time, but my iPad did not. This made knowing what time to IM family easy for me. But I will dig out that watch.

The easiest way is to just turn off automatic date/time update.

One of the best parts of cruising for us is ditching the cell phones. It's not about knowing how to use the phone. It's about unplugging for us.

One of the best parts of cruising for us is ditching the cell phones. It's not about knowing how to use the phone. It's about unplugging for us.

The original poster simply asked an innocent question about how to set her cell phone clock.

Totally understand why another poster timidly raised her hand.

Let's not be rude with our replies.

Isn't it unbelievable that some folks spend hundreds of dollars on a cell phone and haven't got a clue how to adjust its settings?

Well, everyone has to start somewhere, and going in to change the time mode is a gentle introduction to the Settings. Motivation is a great teacher!

I agree! We love camping where there is no cell reception and definitely no wifi. Even in that situation, I use my phone as clock and camera. In this situation, I got worried I'd go on wifi at a restaurant in port for a few minutes and have that adjust the phone's time. Now I know how to use a settings feature! Technology confuses us millenials sometimes too!

For the record, I do own a watch, but it's a nice one that I prefer not to wear in port for tan line reasons/exposing the metal and leather to sunscreen and would be one more thing to carry around in a bag.

Well T.S asked a simple question, buying a watch isn't the answer to that question.

We do love to "unplugg" during cruising.

I have a phone without a working sim-card, it only works for calling 112 (the european 911 number) with me during our cruises. I use it as a Spotify-player and to keep track on time. It will change to local time unless I change the settings, but that takes about 5sec to do.

I never put that phone or my ordinary phone i flight mode, people back home knows that I'm cruising and won't call unless there's a emergency. Reciving SMS doesn't cost anything.

You are right, but you can't use your phone as a phone... then what's the point of having it with you?

Camera, music, games, etc. Many smartphones are used for entertainment and information processing. Voice calls are a minor feature for some users.

I found something new with mine on this trip. Phone was in airplane mode but I was able to view ship position and speed with the GPS feature using the iSailor app. Later, on flight back to MIA, holding the phone next to a window produced the same result. I had not known that GPS worked independently, regardless of 'airplane' mode.