Motion Sickness

katemartin6

My husband and I went on a cruise last year and I got very sea-sick. I get motion sick frequently, so I prepared and brought Bonine and Dramamine. Both did not work for me during the "days at sea", I was vomiting frequently. The port days, I was mostly fine.

Despite the sickness, we really did enjoy the cruise! So we are going on another in April! ;)

This time around I would like to be able to enjoy the cruise more and be sea-sick free! I've seen a lot of reviews on the patch and Reliefband. Has anyone tried both?

(I'll definitely try whatever method I decide on beforehand and see how my body reacts prior to the cruise!)

Thanks for your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMO if Bonine did not work for you then you need the patch, however I am not a physician. Since the patch is prescription only in the US you need to visit your personal physician to get a prescription, and to properly discuss the side effects.

I would suggest trying it on land before you leave for the cruise so that you can see how it effects you.

Good luck.

My 30 year old son HAD the same problem. Cruise #1 he was feeling sick all the time, cruise #2 he was much better, cruise #3 was sea sick free. He found that if he never looked at the water, wake, or shoreline while moving he was fine. On our last cruise he was sitting on the balcony as the ship departed Cozumel and within 2 minutes of our ship passing a docked Carnival ship next to us his stomach was in turmoil. Not very scientific, but his motion sickness comes from seeing motion.. happy cruising

I'm very prone to motion/sea sickness.

I found that if I take bonine when I start feeling sick it doesn't work. Also tried taking it before an excursion with a boat and didn't work.

What I do now is I start taking it the day before I sail. This way it's in my system and continue taking as suggested. This worked for me on my last cruise. We followed a storm home and so our ship was ROCKING!

~Chantelle~

1/6/17 Navigator (Southern)

4/8/16 Anthem (Eastern)

4/11/15 Liberty (Western)

11/9/14 Freedom (Western)

5/8/14 Explorer (Bermuda and Caribbean)

10/29/11 Oasis (Western)

10/23/10 Oasis (Eastern)

9/30/07 Freedom (Western)

10/1/06 Adventure (Southern)

My husband and I went on a cruise last year and I got very sea-sick. I get motion sick frequently, so I prepared and brought Bonine and Dramamine. Both did not work for me during the "days at sea", I was vomiting frequently. The port days, I was mostly fine.

Despite the sickness, we really did enjoy the cruise! So we are going on another in April! ;)

This time around I would like to be able to enjoy the cruise more and be sea-sick free! I've seen a lot of reviews on the patch and Reliefband. Has anyone tried both?

(I'll definitely try whatever method I decide on beforehand and see how my body reacts prior to the cruise!)

Thanks for your input!

I have tried the dramamine pills and though I didn't get seasick I was feeling very tired all while taking them. When in the US Navy we used the patches that we placed behind the ear which worked on the inner ear for the stabilization or equalization of what the liquid in the inner ear causes us to feel dizzy. I felt so much better with the patch and none of the tired feeling either. I have never tried the wrist device but others have and said it worked for them. The least expensive is the patch. Ask a doctor or pharmacist about it.

Rob G.

The cabin choice is very important, in addition to medications. Do not get inside - get at least a window (editing to add: obstructed or porthole are fine). Pick a cabin in the middle third of the ship, in the lower half. Do not get guarantee.

Edited by Dayenu

I've cruised 3 times on the patch with no issues other than some dry mouth and occasional 'unwell' feeling. This will be the first cruise I take with bonine only. I've used bonine for small boat and bus trips and they have been effective without the 'unwell' feeling. Def have to take it before you start feeling sick. My issues are 90% visual, so think that as long as I can come inside and not see anything moving it should be enough.

Did you take Bonine at the proper time? Maybe just check directions. For the relief band, my friend swears he did not have motion sickness anymore with the relief band and was worth the price. Can't take his words though if it works for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I tried Bonnie and Dramamine starting two days before cruising and neither did a thing for me. I tried the relief band out of desperation, and it absolutely worked. This is the one that costs around $100; not the little wrist bands from the drugstore. I have loaned it to my SIL and it worked for her, too. I have sailed 36 times, including the Tasman Sea, and never once did I get sick when I used the ReliefBand.

Forgot to add that I agree with Dayenu. Get a mid ship cabin. If not, aft is far better than a forward cabin. For me, it didn't matter about looking at horizon, etc., but I could really tell a difference if I went to a top deck forward for the gym or whatever.

I probably qualify for a black belt in motion sickness. Name a mode of transportation, I've puked in it. Ginger and sea bands had no effect. Dramamine lessened the nausea but didn't prevent or get rid of it, and makes me very drowsy. The scope patch did work, but the dry mouth, blurred vision and "brain fog" required me to stop using it after a few days. Id recommend that anyone wanting to use the patch should try it at home for at least a couple of days to see how they react.

Bonine worked beautifully for me. As is frequently recommended, I started taking it the morning before sailing, and continued taking it twice a day for the duration of the trip. Most days were totally fine (even the day in St. Lucia where we had hours of mountain driving). Our last night had the whole ship rocking and rolling, and I only experienced a wee bit of queasiness. We can't buy Bonine ( or its generic equivalent) in Canada, so I make a point of buying a supply any time we're in the States.

Edited by mom says

I'm very prone to motion/sea sickness.

I found that if I take bonine when I start feeling sick it doesn't work. Also tried taking it before an excursion with a boat and didn't work.

What I do now is I start taking it the day before I sail. This way it's in my system and continue taking as suggested. This worked for me on my last cruise. We followed a storm home and so our ship was ROCKING!

This is true for all sea sick meds. You have to take them the entire cruise starting the day before embarking.

I tried Bonnie and Dramamine starting two days before cruising and neither did a thing for me. I tried the relief band out of desperation, and it absolutely worked. This is the one that costs around $100; not the little wrist bands from the drugstore. I have loaned it to my SIL and it worked for her, too. I have sailed 36 times, including the Tasman Sea, and never once did I get sick when I used the ReliefBand.

Good to know the ReliefBand finally worked for you. And yes, it can be shared with someone.

Thanks for your input!

I have been using Bonine (dramamine)for many years .It works but I am constantly drowsy.I just bought PSI bands at my local pharmacy for $17.95 .I will try them on my next cruise but I am still bringing Bonine.

Hi Kate,

I have awful motion sickness. We cruise a lot and I use the patches, wear sea bands and bring candied ginger, Bonine and Dramamine.

I apply a patch about 12 hours before sailing and change then throughout the cruise. The only side effect I get from the patch is a dry throat. Also, I put on the bands as soon as I get on the ship and I found that taking a motion sickness pill at bed time seems to help.

Careful cabin selection helps. Middle of ship works for me.

I hope that you will find your solution.

I cannot use the patch. It makes me halucinate. So definitely talk to your doctor about it!

I use Sea Bands for the entire cruise, and bring Bonine along in case the seas really get rough. I take the Bonine the second I feel my equilibrium shift -- I get dizzy before the nausea starts. If I catch it when I feel... odd... I stay ahead of the nausea. This is different for everybody!

I need some kind of view out of a window. It can be obstructed. It can be a porthole. I just need to be able to see the horizon. Mid ship is optimal, as low down as possible.

I cannot use the patch. It makes me halucinate. So definitely talk to your doctor about it!

I use Sea Bands for the entire cruise' date=' and bring Bonine along in case the seas really get rough. I take the Bonine the second I feel my equilibrium shift -- I get dizzy before the nausea starts. If I catch it when I feel... odd... I stay ahead of the nausea. This is different for everybody!

I need some kind of view out of a window. It can be obstructed. It can be a porthole. I just need to be able to see the horizon. Mid ship is optimal, as low down as possible.[/quote']

Did they have the patch at Woodstock? LOL

Rob G.