Shore excursion valuables

woeste

We use a waterproof fanny pack.

Given the international nature of these forums I'm always surprised when I see that term. :D

Check with REI and other outdoor retailers. I'm sure there are quite a few options. Dive supply sites would also have good (and very waterproof) options.

I just use a standard non waterproof money belt. It takes a bit, and it ends up puffing up a bit - so it is much better if a male wears it than a female, but I put all our cards and cash in a zip lock bag and seal it (leave the wallet in the room). Then I roll that one bag up and put it inside a second zip lock and seal that. Then I repeat it a 3rd time. Then the combined 3 tier zip lock bag goes in the money belt. I have done this at least 30 plus times. We have spent the day at various waterparks where I have done multiple waterslides - forwards and back. Have been snorkeling for hours. Never had a leak. Once or twice water has seeped into the outer zip lock, but never beyond it.

The only problem is that it takes a minute to get your money out to buy something and then seal it all up again when you go back into the water, but this way I am hands free in the water and not worried about something attached to me that might fall off. I am unrestricted in my activity. I have even kept my cell phone in this system multiple times, but it does make the entire bag system a little too puffy (I usually do 4 layers of bags for the phone - but that's just me being paranoid). So usually we just leave the phone behind when on an excursion.

Now I just need a system to protect my wife's camera. We never know what to do with that. It is too valuable to leave on shore, so when we are headed to the water, we either just bring the cheap camera (which just does not capture the brilliance of the scenery, or we go without the camera.

Don

Don

Given the international nature of these forums I'm always surprised when I see that term. :D

Check with REI and other outdoor retailers. I'm sure there are quite a few options. Dive supply sites would also have good (and very waterproof) options.

I hate that term/name anyway.

Couldn't think of a more neutral one. :rolleyes:

I hate that term/name anyway.

Couldn't think of a more neutral one. :rolleyes:

In the UK it's called a bum bag. The other term is considered offensive so, once I learned that, I've tried not to use it. Bum bag works. Another term that works is "fashion faux pas". :D

Now I just need a system to protect my wife's camera. We never know what to do with that. It is too valuable to leave on shore, so when we are headed to the water, we either just bring the cheap camera (which just does not capture the brilliance of the scenery, or we go without the camera.

Don

Don

We solved that problem by buying a waterproof camera.

You do know that your ship's key and your DL and credit card are not hurt by water...they are plastic! Stick them in a velcroed pocket on men's swim trunks. Don't bring your pricey stuff, if you have to leave it on a beach. If you're on a boat excursion, it will be fine in the boat while you are in the water.

I make sure all my swim suits have a pocket that has a full Velcro closure (not just a little tab) or zipper. So far, no one has refused wet cash. At one beach in St. Thomas, the food shack had a little clothesline where the woman running it would hang up the wet bills. I have an inexpensive waterproof camera I take into the water with me while swimming and snorkeling. If we're doing a snorkeling excursion, I'll bring along my waterproof binoculars. I leave them on the boat in the bag with our towels.

We solved that problem by buying a waterproof camera.

Ditto on the waterproof camera. Best investment we ever made. NEVER take a phone on our excursion. ID cards and a bit of cash in husband's zippered pocket in trunks in small ziplock bag. Many, many snorkel/beach excursions and nothing wet.:cool:

We do a combo of a water wallet to hold the credit cards, cash and cruise cards in that. Then the rest of the stuff, towels, extra clothes (worn on top of swim suit to get to beach) and camera or water bottles all go in a kyss bag. it is made of material similar to the travelon bags but comes with a chain so you can chain it to your lounge chair or I have even seen it chained to the beach trashcan.

http://www.kyssbags.com/

If we are on an excursions boat we still will lock the bag to itself so at least no one on the boat can get into it...the dive providers may be good but you never know about the others diving with you..lol. Recent one we were on we were able to chain it to the bench we were sitting on in the boat.

Do you guys take your passports on shore?

Usually no need for actual passport in the vast majority of ports. Government issued photo ID is all you need..

As for securing valuables, we use either our PacSafe backpack or our KYSS bag. Both are slash-proof material and locking, so we wrap the locking strap around chair or tree or railing and lock it in place on beaches or on the boat...while it's not 100% foolproof, a determined their could work their way through it - for search and grabs, which is usually the concern in a beach or boat, they work perfect....

There are a few countries that require you to have your passport when on shore, but those are usually not the countries where you would go snorkeling or to the beach.

We never take our passport off the ship unless the local law requires it.

Of all the ports we visited, it was only in St. Petersburg Russia where we had to bring our passport on shore for immigration purposes. I am not sure about other ports we have not been to where visa is required.

I keep a photo copy of our ID and our Passport tucked in the kyss bag. Keep the real ID with us in the water wallet and the passport in the safe on the ship. I figure (knock on wood) if we were to be left behind at least we would have the copy of the passport to help aide us...not sure if it would...but I keep the copy just in case.

Of all the ports we visited, it was only in St. Petersburg Russia where we had to bring our passport on shore for immigration purposes. I am not sure about other ports we have not been to where visa is required.

Egypt is another country that requires you to have your passport with you.

I keep a photo copy of our ID and our Passport tucked in the kyss bag. Keep the real ID with us in the water wallet and the passport in the safe on the ship. I figure (knock on wood) if we were to be left behind at least we would have the copy of the passport to help aide us...not sure if it would...but I keep the copy just in case.

If you were to be left behind, Princess would first try to locate your passport in your safe and then give it to the port agent who would give it to you.

If you were to be left behind, Princess would first try to locate your passport in your safe and then give it to the port agent who would give it to you.

Good to know..we always keep ours in the safe but it is inside a zip top bag that holds extra cash and such...so not like they can open safe and bing its in site...but sure they would search the bag.

We take a waterproof camera with a float strap, but everything else of value we might take along (driver's license, room key, credit card, (and some bills and a photocopy of passport, if needed, in zip-lock) go in zippered wrist wallets. These can be found in the runners' section at sporting goods stores, for about $15 US. Made of a stretchy fabric, they are very easy to wear and (in cooler climates) also are great under long-sleeved clothing to hide valuables while in town. Most are not waterproof but they do fine in water.

Edited by QuilterGirl