Celebrity food compared to Golden Corral

151swizzle

First time cruiser. How would you rate Celebrity's food (mar/buffet) to , say, Golden Corral restaurant?

I ask because I was taken to this place today, and curious if the ship food would be similar.

Edited by 151swizzle

Assuming this is a serious question, no, it's not. It may not be perfect, but it's orders of magnitude above Golden Corral. The primary similarity is that both exist for efficiency and convenience, and you can eat a ton of food at either.

First time cruiser. How would you rate Celebrity's food (mar/buffet) to , say, Golden Corral restaurant?

I ask because I was taken to this place today, and curious if the ship food would be similar.

First time cruiser? According to your previous posts you were on NCL 5 years ago. :confused::confused::confused:

Ate at GC 30 years or more ago; once was enough....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have only eaten at GC once, so I can't comment on food quality, thought I am pretty sure X's will be better. I think the op is referring to the buffet only, not the MDR etc.

For reference, the buffet on my 1 Carnival cruise did remind me of the 1 time I was at GC

yeah, say first time because I only tagged along (6 years ago) and only vaguely remember the ship. My upcoming one is the first one I'm arranging and planning. should say "fairly inexperienced" with cruises.

Edited by 151swizzle

At the price point Golden wins hands down :rolleyes:

Shurley you jest, or don't get to go to nice places.

Please.

Edited by wallie5446

I've never experienced anything close to Golden Corral on a cruise ship. Many more choices and better tasting, fresher food. We go to Golden Corral about once every 5 years because that's how long it takes me to forget how bad it is and give it another chance [emoji23]. But usually eat at the buffet on the cruise 2-4 times a day between breakfast, lunch, and snacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm embarrassed to say I worked in a town with a Golden Corral back in the early 80's. At the time, the female food servers were referred to as "steerettes" and had to introduce themselves as such. That sexist term alone turned me off to GC, regardless how bad the food was! :eek:

Only went in a Golden Corral once (I would add that as frequent English visitors to the US we generally enjoy eating out). In addition to 'real' restaurants we are happy to visit many chain restaurants including Sizzlers, Ponderosa and even Pizza Hut!

It was the VOLUME of food that put me off....the shrimps were in what looked like a trough...and people were just putting MOUNTAINS of food on their plates.

I do remember seeing scenes similar when AI resorts first came out but never on a cruise ship!

It was the VOLUME of food that put me off....the shrimps were in what looked like a trough...and people were just putting MOUNTAINS of food on their plates.

You're not going there for the quality, so all that's left is.....

I'm not a fan of buffets, either on the ship or on land. You will find some food to be great, and some to be not so hot....really depends on your tastes! You will not starve, that's for sure!

Edited by cb at sea

I worked at a GC in high school. It was one of the better places to eat in our small town at the time (25 years ago). The place most people went after church if they didn't want to eat at the Tex-Mex place. The nearest fine dining place was 40 miles away. Most of their buffet food comes frozen on a truck, so I can understand the comparison. Their produce was bought fresh from local suppliers, though. A lot of the meat came from a local butcher, too. Overall, the Celebrity quality is better, but it is still a buffet at the end of the day.

Celebrity's restaurants/dining rooms serve much better meals overall, and their menus are much more extensive.

I'm embarrassed to say I worked in a town with a Golden Corral back in the early 80's. At the time, the female food servers were referred to as "steerettes" and had to introduce themselves as such. That sexist term alone turned me off to GC, regardless how bad the food was! :eek:

Don't be embarrassed. Not everyone on Celebrity or other lines, for that matter, are silver spoon born [emoji4]. I worked at Burger King for 6 years and am proud of the things it taught me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Shurley you jest, or don't get to go to nice places.

Please.

Don't call me Shurley!

I have seen some real big people at GC and also at the Buffet on board. On both, I have seen people waddle out. That is where the comparison tends to end..

We don't eat at Golden Corral very much, but the last time we ate there was a couple of years ago.

GC operates like a buffet and compared to the Celebrity buffet the GC is second rate.

We did eat Thanksgiving at GC 10 years ago because we had just moved into our new home and we could not find another restaurant open. The food was pretty good then, but other times we have eaten there, there was no consistency.

I felt that the meats offered by GC were poor quality, vegetables were better, but sometimes overcooked.

• 2 weeks later...