Have cruise lines come out with any statements on the U.S. Travel Ban?

Smokeyham

Question for those who are currently on a cruise, or who are about to embark on one; have you received any information from your cruise line with guidance or information on the U.S. ban on travelers from certain countries?

I am just curious how cruise lines respond to these type of events.

Also curious how customs would handle it, it's not like they can just make you stay on the ship, I guess they'd hold and deport by air? How would they know what city to send you to? Seems much more complicated that someone getting off a plane and then just being sent back to the same place on the next flight.

Question for those who are currently on a cruise, or who are about to embark on one; have you received any information from your cruise line with guidance or information on the U.S. ban on travelers from certain countries?

I am just curious how cruise lines respond to these type of events.

None from RCL. I called 3 different reps, and they said they had no info.

The biggest problem is people currently on cruise ships. People affected and planning a cruise with US port involved will know. The question is if affected people will get a refund for their cruise/hotels or chance to reschedule. Major airlines does refund tickets purchased before January 28, 2017.

I'm a bit amazed with the number of people affected by the new rules. In a very small country like Denmark it's a total of 60.000 people with dual citizen ship from banned countries - 1.2% of the total population.

Interesting and timely question.

Although we would not be personally affected by the latest travel ban, wife and I have decided that 2017 might be a good year to not cruise in Europe/Mexico and S. America because of the enhanced potential for terrorist activities BECAUSE of the ban. As if Zika and Chikungunya weren't enough to worry about in the Caribbean, now we have something else animating terrorists, especially since our travel to cruise ports even in the US would involve flying.

The biggest problem is people currently on cruise ships. People affected and planning a cruise with US port involved will know. The question is if affected people will get a refund for their cruise/hotels or chance to reschedule. Major airlines does refund tickets purchased before January 28, 2017.

I'm a bit amazed with the number of people affected by the new rules. In a very small country like Denmark it's a total of 60.000 people with dual citizen ship from banned countries - 1.2% of the total population.

The initial 60-day ban involves only a "...Suspension of Issuance of Visas and Other Immigration Benefits to Nationals of Countries of Particular Concern...." Unless those dual citizens of Denmark happen to be also be citizens of Iraq, Iran, Syria, Libya, Somalia, Sudan or Yemen they have nothing to worry about.

If you recall cruise ships sailing near the Suez Canal have to take special security measures due to pirate activity from Somalia.

The initial 60-day ban involves only a "...Suspension of Issuance of Visas and Other Immigration Benefits to Nationals of Countries of Particular Concern...." Unless those dual citizens of Denmark happen to be also be citizens of Iraq, Iran, Syria, Libya, Somalia, Sudan or Yemen they have nothing to worry about.

If you recall cruise ships sailing near the Suez Canal have to take special security measures due to pirate activity from Somalia.

I believe he said 60,000 with dual citizenship from the banned countries...

Edited by alexspepa

Yes -- that is exactly what he said: "In a very small country like Denmark it's a total of 60.000 people with dual citizen ship from banned countries." It's right there in post #5....you could have just gone back a few posts and read it yourself.

And what does any of this have to do with pirates?

Edited by calliopecruiser

I didnt get a refund. And I didnt have an insurance.

"Have cruise lines come out with any statements on the U.S. Travel Ban?"

Holland America doesn't have to say anything, their cruise contract absolves them from any responsibility:

"It is the Guest's sole responsibility to obtain and have available when necessary the appropriate valid travel documents. All Guests are advised to check with their travel agent or the appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents. You will be refused boarding or disembarked without liability for refund, payment, compensation, or credit of any kind if You do not have proper documentation..."

I'm not currently affected by a travel ban, but it is possible that other countries will ban US travelers in retaliation.

Holland America doesn't have to say anything, their cruise contract absolves them from any responsibility:

"It is the Guest's sole responsibility to obtain and have available when necessary the appropriate valid travel documents. All Guests are advised to check with their travel agent or the appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents. You will be refused boarding or disembarked without liability for refund, payment, compensation, or credit of any kind if You do not have proper documentation..."

I'm not currently affected by a travel ban, but it is possible that other countries will ban US travelers in retaliation.

The problem is that is seems that what constitutes "appropriate valid travel documents" can change at any time without any notice whatsoever. And so the question (to me, at least) is what will the cruise lines do if their passenger had valid travel documents when they boarded, and then no longer had valid travel documents midway through the cruise.

The problem is that is seems that what constitutes "appropriate valid travel documents" can change at any time without any notice whatsoever. And so the question (to me, at least) is what will the cruise lines do if their passenger had valid travel documents when they boarded, and then no longer had valid travel documents midway through the cruise.

That's covered in the next line of the cruise contract:

"You will be subject to any fine or other costs incurred by Carrier which result from improper documentation or noncompliance with applicable regulations, which amount may be charged to Your stateroom account and/or credit card."

This should be the latest update:

No Danes with dual citizenship will be affected by the US temporary entry ban. This has been stated by Danish Foreign Minister Anders Samuelsen to Ritzau.

The entry prohibition is 90 days for citizens of seven countries where the population is predominantly Muslim. But it includes basically also people with dual citizenship. However, no Danes with dual citizenship.

Britain has, according to the British Foreign Office also secured an exemption from the travel ban.

This means that both Danes and Britons with dual nationality should be able to travel to the US.

Edited by hallasm
spelling

f you want to get literaL, you need to b e literal. Lots of people HAD the c orrrect travel documents. they were permitted to board those planes with their green card or their visa. those travelers would have a legitimate argument to defeat that cruise line contract vervbage. IM O In some cases, Those travelers compled with the contract AND had thed proper . travel papers.

Edited by sail7seas

It is a very embarrassing situation. I have a great deal of empathy for those who are impacted by this. I would imagine that many people are in the process of making alternate vacation and travel plans.

I feel the same way. And on top of my concern for others you've got to think that this is introducing delays generally as these situations take up the time of staff both the border guards and the airlines and the travel agents so even if you're not directly impacted, odds are you might be indirectly delayed as a result.

Yes -- that is exactly what he said: "In a very small country like Denmark it's a total of 60.000 people with dual citizen ship from banned countries." It's right there in post #5....you could have just gone back a few posts and read it yourself.

And what does any of this have to do with pirates?

And you could have read that it has to do with Somalia. Cruise ships and tankers in the Suez aren't being threatened by pirates from the Italy, the UAE or Greece. It's Somalia which is also of the 7 countries affected by the 60-day visa ban.

To get back to the OP, what kind of statement do you want cruise lines to make? A political statement that criticizes a country's elected head of state? I don't think so. They'll probably quietly deal with passenger cancellations due to visa issues on a case by case basis.

And you could have read that it has to do with Somalia.

Yeah, but so what?

This issue in the EO is about immigrants and visitors to the US from Somalia (and the other listed countries), not those who've chosen to stay there (regardless of whether they are pirates or not). The fact that piracy is a common problem in the waters around Somalia doesn't have anything to do with immigrants or visitors from Somalia, so why did you bother to bring it up? The only reason I can think of is to spread ****e and muddy the waters.

To get back to the OP, what kind of statement do you want cruise lines to make? A political statement that criticizes a country's elected head of state? I don't think so. They'll probably quietly deal with passenger cancellations due to visa issues on a case by case basis.

I'd like an advisory of the change (not unlike when they started requiring passports be valid 6 months after the cruise or when there is a weather event), how the cruise line plans to handle it (will they offer refunds or play hot potato and say we can't help you? Either way better to know in advance), and something about whether they anticipate added delays as a result (should people arrive early? Might there be debarkation delays that could cause missed flights so book later flights?).

I think these are all fair questions that have nothing to do with politics. It's logistics.

I don't know about the cruise lines, but we got a very well written (unbiased and neutral) explanation by our TA of who is affected by the order.

Did your TA mention if there were any anticipated delays? If they have to pull border guards off the line to detain someone it seems to me that would leave them short-handed.

Edited by CoW mAn