Using Enhanced Drivers Licenses as ID upon return to Cruise ports

myfuzzy

I have a passport as does pretty much everyone I know. On these boards I am surprised by the resistance to passports. It seems that US Citizens are the most passport resistant. Can anyone explain why this is? Is it related to the resistance to chip technology on credit cards?

I am not trying to be critical and am sincerely curious.

The reasons for not getting a passport are probably just as numerous as reasons for getting one. Personally I don't like to buy things that I don't need, especially if they come with a healthy price tag and an expiration date. When we first started cruising I did the research and decided that given the amount of travel that we do, and the limited nature of the travel (a closed loop cruise once every year or two) that the small risk wasn't worth getting passports for so we decided to wait until the day came when we actually needed the passports to obtain them. I am sure some people would say I'm anti-passport, but I'm not- I encourage people to travel with the documentation that meets their travel needs, whether it is a passport, a passport card, an EDL or a government ID/birth certificate.

I encourage people to travel with the documentation that meets their travel needs, whether it is a passport, a passport card, an EDL or a government ID/birth certificate.

And, those travel needs MIGHT include:

a) having to catch up with a missed ship;

b) having to fly back from a foreign port because of illness, family emergency at home, or missing ship;

c) wanting to take advantage of international travel opportunity not previously considered.

And, the passport serves all purposes cited: be it by "passport, passport card, an EDL or a government ID/birth certificate" ---- all for the equivalent cost, as pointed out above, of two cheap drinks per year or, if a smoker, one cigarette a week.

And, those travel needs MIGHT include:

a) having to catch up with a missed ship;

b) having to fly back from a foreign port because of illness, family emergency at home, or missing ship;

c) wanting to take advantage of international travel opportunity not previously considered.

And, the passport serves all purposes cited: be it by "passport, passport card, an EDL or a government ID/birth certificate" ---- all for the equivalent cost, as pointed out above, of two cheap drinks per year or, if a smoker, one cigarette a week.

MIGHT. Anything MIGHT happen, but chances are very good that they won't. Analyze the risk one has and if one is okay with accepting the risk then who is to say different. You don't want to assume the risk so you get a passport. You've made the decision that works for you. Others can look at it from their own viewpoint and reach a different conclusion, which works for them.

In Ft Lauderdale today, EDL accepted for US, Canadians require passport. Port security at the entrance didn't have a clue what an EDL is, demanded passport (I have an even lower opinion of Post Security than I do TSA).

On the Saving Money board, Klfhngr has a story about missing the ship.

In Ft Lauderdale today, EDL accepted for US, Canadians require passport. Port security at the entrance didn't have a clue what an EDL is, demanded passport (I have an even lower opinion of Post Security than I do TSA).

Oh my, they "demanded" your passport, what did you do?

We have always been ask for our passports even now just driving across the border

not like the old days where no document needed to be shown at the border ;)

The reasons for not getting a passport are probably just as numerous as reasons for getting one. Personally I don't like to buy things that I don't need, especially if they come with a healthy price tag and an expiration date. When we first started cruising I did the research and decided that given the amount of travel that we do, and the limited nature of the travel (a closed loop cruise once every year or two) that the small risk wasn't worth getting passports for so we decided to wait until the day came when we actually needed the passports to obtain them. I am sure some people would say I'm anti-passport, but I'm not- I encourage people to travel with the documentation that meets their travel needs, whether it is a passport, a passport card, an EDL or a government ID/birth certificate.

Same for us. Everyone's travel needs and level of risk are different. In this case the risk level is extremely low for many people. Others may have extenuating circumstances that increases the risk level and others have prefer to not take any risks. Since the government deems close loop cruises as a low security risk, we have the legal choice in what we want to do. Many, many US citizens spend their life not even taking a trip that would require a passport so it is seen as a waste of money to them if the see the risk as low for their circumstances. The USA has deserts, oceans, mountains, canyons, etc. Many find that they have no desire to travel outside of it.

We have always been ask for our passports even now just driving across the border

not like the old days where no document needed to be shown at the border ;)

If they ask for anything they will ask for passports since it's easier than saying "passport, passport card, EDL or other WHTI compliant document".:) CBP officers are trained to encourage travelers to obtain passports and it would make their job easier if everyone had one. I'm not interested in making their job easier so that doesn't factor into the decision making process.

An eye opening account about what really happens. Give it a read you won't regret it.

Klfhngr's story: I missed the boat in Nassau!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2121215

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And I am sure each of us will take something different away from that story. My personal takeaway is an hour and a half at the Embassy to obtain a passport in a non-emergency situation isn't bad at all. The other takeaway is it can be expensive to miss the ship, so don't, whether you have a passport or not.;)

It would be interesting to know how many Canadians have successfully boarded a cruise with EDL & BC?

As per Dancer Bob's experiences he has failed twice

Any Canadians board a cruise without a Passport ?

It would be interesting to know how many Canadians have successfully boarded a cruise with EDL & BC?

As per Dancer Bob's experiences he has failed twice

Any Canadians board a cruise without a Passport ?

The EDL is acceptable according to CBPs website, I don't believe Canadians can use birth certs (and wouldn't need to if they have an EDL).

This is one of those things where one has to choose their battles.

Is an EDL a WHITI approved document? Yes.

Is it always honored? No

Is this the battle you choose to fight and die on the hill as the last person standing? Not for me. Just have other WHITI compliant documents available if needed.

Do the enhanced DL in the US have your place of birth or citizenship on them?

I have not really checked our Canadian DL closely we usually need passports for any cruises

I think an EDL signifies that the bearer has passed a citizenship screen (such as presenting a BC to obtain one).

State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.

https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they

I think an EDL signifies that the bearer has passed a citizenship screen (such as presenting a BC to obtain one).

https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they

I again emphasize that edl's are not cheap only 25-35 dollars cheaper than a passport and you need the same criteria of documents to get one as you do a passport. They were conceived as a convenience document for border states to make it easier not to have to carry two documents

I again emphasize that edl's are not cheap only 25-35 dollars cheaper than a passport and you need the same criteria of documents to get one as you do a passport. They were conceived as a convenience document for border states to make it easier not to have to carry two documents

It depends on which state issues them I guess, ours is only $25 more than a regular license. We opted for them over passport cards because we carry our license with us all of the time any way and didn't want to worry about carrying something else. We got the EDL because I found out how much it would cost to replace DW's naturalization certificate and I didn't want to carry that on a cruise any more. (The passport card is a better choice from a price standpoint.)

But my point was that the bearer of an EDL at an ocean point of entry should be welcomed into the US as a citizen and not ordered to produce additional proof of citizenship, regardless of whether it was a good investment to obtain one vs. a passport or passport card.

But my point was that the bearer of an EDL at an ocean point of entry should be welcomed into the US as a citizen and not ordered to produce additional proof of citizenship, regardless of whether it was a good investment to obtain one vs. a passport or passport card.

Exactly my point. What I am interested in is how many people use the EDL's for sailing and if they had any trouble upon re-entry to the US at the port.

If there are many instances of needing to show additional ID's, then maybe retraining is needed.

I have a passport as does pretty much everyone I know. On these boards I am surprised by the resistance to passports. It seems that US Citizens are the most passport resistant. Can anyone explain why this is? Is it related to the resistance to chip technology on credit cards?

I am not trying to be critical and am sincerely curious.

International travel isn't as big a part of US culture as European cultures. In the US you can hop in your car and travel for days without ever leaving the states. You can see everything from the beach, to the desert, to mountains, to big cities, etc. Frankly, many American's have never left the US and really have no desire to.

Now, with the affordability and ease of cruising, "international" travel has become more accessible. I don't mean to sound harsh, but Americans can travel to many places now on cruise ships without ever leaving the comfort of the US (everyone speaks English, accepts USD, familiar food and drink, familiar entertainment and activities). Many people who either don't travel or stick to US travel plus an occasional cruise see absolutely no reason to get a passport; especially since they can cruise with just a driver's license and a birth certificate.

IMO, I don't blame people who want to cruise with a driver's license and birth certificate. I know many people at work who have no ambitions to travel internationally but the opportunity to cruise came up and they decided to give it a shot, not knowing if they would ever do it again. Why would you invest $150 in a passport with no other plans to use it in the next 10 years. Now, if you start getting into passport cards and enhanced driver's license (especially if they are expensive, my state doesn't offer them so don't have much to compare to), I can't see a reason to pay extra for an "international" travel document that doesn't cover air travel. If cruise often and never plan to do anything else, ok, I guess... but to me it gets old. Why not try and all inclusive, similar product for a similar budget. Or if you get tired of the Caribbean you could do Europe or South America. But not with a passport card or enhanced driver's license.

International travel isn't as big a part of US culture as European cultures. In the US you can hop in your car and travel for days without ever leaving the states. You can see everything from the beach, to the desert, to mountains, to big cities, etc. Frankly, many American's have never left the US and really have no desire to.

Now, with the affordability and ease of cruising, "international" travel has become more accessible. I don't mean to sound harsh, but Americans can travel to many places now on cruise ships without ever leaving the comfort of the US (everyone speaks English, accepts USD, familiar food and drink, familiar entertainment and activities). Many people who either don't travel or stick to US travel plus an occasional cruise see absolutely no reason to get a passport; especially since they can cruise with just a driver's license and a birth certificate.

IMO, I don't blame people who want to cruise with a driver's license and birth certificate. I know many people at work who have no ambitions to travel internationally but the opportunity to cruise came up and they decided to give it a shot, not knowing if they would ever do it again. Why would you invest $150 in a passport with no other plans to use it in the next 10 years. Now, if you start getting into passport cards and enhanced driver's license (especially if they are expensive, my state doesn't offer them so don't have much to compare to), I can't see a reason to pay extra for an "international" travel document that doesn't cover air travel. If cruise often and never plan to do anything else, ok, I guess... but to me it gets old. Why not try and all inclusive, similar product for a similar budget. Or if you get tired of the Caribbean you could do Europe or South America. But not with a passport card or enhanced driver's license.

I would only add that if and when cruising gets old (not sure I understand that concept, but I'll play;)) then there is more than enough time at that point to obtain a passport if one wishes to branch out. When we first started cruising one of the attractive things to me is the ability to reserve a cruise for a small deposit and then not have to worry about paying the rest until just prior to the cruise and in the interim one may make periodic payments if one chooses. Now that the kids have grown and we have more disposable income that's not the same consideration that it used to be but it's still a big plus.

I'm going to throw something out here that may or may not actually have any bearing on why the EDLs are or are not accepted as readily as say, passport cards. But it is food for thought.

1. The actual WHTI regulation did not list EDL's as an accepted WHTI document. They did exist in a couple of states at the time; why they were not included....anyone's guess. But technically, they are not a WHTI document.

2. The CBP can make and modify operating policy as they want. That means they can choose to accept EDLs as sufficient proof of US citizenship for WHTI purposes, if they wish. Or not.

3. EDL as proof of citizenship falls under the 'contiguous country and adjacent island' usage, not the Western Hemisphere usage. Meaning that combined with points 1 and 2, EDLs being accepted at ports can/might depend on whether the round trip cruise went anywhere other than Canada, Mexico or the 14 specified 'Caribbean' countries.

4. There is some (perhaps out of date?) indication on the CBP website that not all state's EDLs are equivalent....but that they are working with states through both The Real ID Act and internal standards to make these documents consistent.

Sometimes the above points are at cross-purposes with each other (bureaucracy at its best/worst), and sometimes they work hand-in-hand. There is one page on the CBP website, quoted earlier, which clearly includes EDLs on the list of accepted documents for WHTI closed loop cruises. I suppose having a copy of this page printed out might help if one wanted to use just an EDL on a cruise...but I would not rely on this alone.

I'm going to throw something out here that may or may not actually have any bearing on why the EDLs are or are not accepted as readily as say, passport cards. But it is food for thought.

1. The actual WHTI regulation did not list EDL's as an accepted WHTI document. They did exist in a couple of states at the time; why they were not included....anyone's guess. But technically, they are not a WHTI document.

2. The CBP can make and modify operating policy as they want. That means they can choose to accept EDLs as sufficient proof of US citizenship for WHTI purposes, if they wish. Or not.

3. EDL as proof of citizenship falls under the 'contiguous country and adjacent island' usage, not the Western Hemisphere usage. Meaning that combined with points 1 and 2, EDLs being accepted at ports can/might depend on whether the round trip cruise went anywhere other than Canada, Mexico or the 14 specified 'Caribbean' countries.

4. There is some (perhaps out of date?) indication on the CBP website that not all state's EDLs are equivalent....but that they are working with states through both The Real ID Act and internal standards to make these documents consistent.

Sometimes the above points are at cross-purposes with each other (bureaucracy at its best/worst), and sometimes they work hand-in-hand. There is one page on the CBP website, quoted earlier, which clearly includes EDLs on the list of accepted documents for WHTI closed loop cruises. I suppose having a copy of this page printed out might help if one wanted to use just an EDL on a cruise...but I would not rely on this alone.

If you check the documentation requirement FAQs for the Carnival Corporation's mass market US -based cruise lines, Carnival, Princess and Holland America, they are quite clear that EDLs are acceptable documentation for WHTI closed loop cruises. Celebrity's and Royal Caribbean's FAQs try to say they are, but do so through a no-longer-valid link to DHS's list of WHTI documents. NCL's FAQ makes it quite clear that an EDL is acceptable via a link to CBP's web page that lists the EDL as one of the acceptable documents.

The bottom line is that there should be zero risk of being turned away at the pier when using the EDL, simply because the mass market cruise lines say the EDL is acceptable, as does CBP.

I am impressed with the well thought out, well phrased answers that have been given here. However, anyone have any ideas how to get this point across to the people at the desks upon disembarkation?

The only way I can think of is to say that all you have is the EDL, since this is all that you showed to board the ship. Then the CBP officer will have two choices- send you on your way or send you to secondary inspection where it won't take long for them to determine that the CBP officer was wrong. I suppose a third alternative would be to immediately ask to speak to a supervisor. The key is to remain calm throughout the process.