Ethical Question- Beverage Package

Cras108er

Was having a philosophical discussion with a friend. We came to different conclusions. Decided to post it here. If I buy a beverage package that allows me to consume up to 15 drinks a day, and a provide a drink or more to my friend, is that dishonest? What if in total, we only consume say ten drinks? Why is it okay for the cruise line to "overcharge" me for the 3-5 drinks I do consume. Didn't I pay for 15? Should t I be allowed to do anything with the fifteen drinks I wish?

Because is defined by what someone does when he knows he cannot be caught.

Yes...Carnival does limit you to 15 alcoholic drinks per day on the package. They are the ONLY ones who do that.

A package is PER PERSON...so that's how it should be used.

A drink card is a different matter....that IS for a set amount at a set price. You may share that.

I was reading another thread about drink packages and someone did mention another line that had a 15 day a drink limit, so CCL may not be the only one (I didn't bother to verify it so the poster could have been wrong).

Was having a philosophical discussion with a friend. We came to different conclusions. Decided to post it here. If I buy a beverage package that allows me to consume up to 15 drinks a day, and a provide a drink or more to my friend, is that dishonest? What if in total, we only consume say ten drinks? Why is it okay for the cruise line to "overcharge" me for the 3-5 drinks I do consume. Didn't I pay for 15? Should t I be allowed to do anything with the fifteen drinks I wish?

Yes, it would be dishonest of because it goes against the terms of the sale -- if it hadn't been in the terms and conditions of the sale, then it wouldn't be. But it is.

No, you didn't pay for 15 drinks, you paid for the ability to get up to 15 drinks for yourself at no additional charge. That's the package you bought. If you didn't want to follow the rules of the package (which include no sharing), you shouldn't have purchased it. Was it wrong of them to set those rules? No. It's a discretionary product on a discretionary trip, so they can fairly set any rules they wish.

If they sold drink coupons in bulk, you could use them or give them away if you wished.....but that's not what they sold you.

In my opinion the OP knew the answer before starting the thread.

My ethics were framed many, many years ago by what I saw, and learned with my Dad. I credit him with the part of me that never questions what is the right thing to do.

Yes, it would be unethical, dishonest, and wrong.

Hmmm, OK. But what does that have to do with whether it's ethical or not to share a beverage package? :confused:

After 30 replies of the same answer, I thought the thread needed a breather. I know it goes forum protocol to hi-jack a thread, but the discussion can continue now.

So, ethical or not?

Burt

We prefer anytime dinning.

Burt

After 30 replies of the same answer, I thought the thread needed a breather. I know it goes forum protocol to hi-jack a thread, but the discussion can continue now.

So, ethical or not?

Burt

Ah, that breather gave the dinning a chance to subside. Well done;)

It is unethical to waste food especially at the buffet. But some would argue along the line that it is perfectly ok because they pay to have unlimited food onboard and it's their way to get back at big greedy corporations for 'overcharging' them.

It is unethical to waste food especially at the buffet. But some would argue along the line that it is perfectly ok because they pay to have unlimited food onboard and it's their way to get back at big greedy corporations for 'overcharging' them.

I agree that it is waserful but unethical? The unsed food gets ground up and fed to the fishes. How is that unethical?

You must be a big believer in conspiracy theories with that line of reasoning. :rolleyes:

Who in the world do you think deliberately wastes food in order to get back at the cruise line? Do you actually think people are that shallow? Or that they think cruise lines are so greedy that they should be punished by wasting food? :confused:

Wow! I mean, WOW! :eek:

I agree that it is waserful but unethical? The unsed food gets ground up and fed to the fishes. How is that unethical?

Shouldn't some of the ground up food be brought ashore to feed to pigs? There are some of us who greatly prefer bacon to sea food. Why should a significant portion of what we pay (the amount which goes to leftovers) be so specifically directed?

Shouldn't some of the ground up food be brought ashore to feed to pigs? There are some of us who greatly prefer bacon to sea food. Why should a significant portion of what we pay (the amount which goes to leftovers) be so specifically directed?

If it came from the buffet it means they tried to feed it to the pigs and it was rejected.

How unethical of those cruise lines!:eek:

Don't they realize pigs are people too!

I hope you're being facetious. Given that many countries have restrictions about food imports, your suggestion isn't at all viable.