What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

We booked very late for the Christmas week Mexico cruise on the Star. There wasn't much choice left as far a cabins were concerned. There were only guarantee Inside, Guarantee Oceanview or Guarantee Balcony. So we opted for the Guarantee Inside (IX). About four days later we were assigned a Midship Inside (IB) on the ninth deck and also given an option to bid on an Oceanview or Balcony which we did.

The sailing pretty much sold out this last week and disappeared from NCL's listing so I thought that any options we had had gone away too, we would sail for the first time in an inside cabin.

Then today I got the email saying that the bid for the Oceanview had been accepted.

So we bid $110 per person for the Oceanview and ended up with an O1 Family Oceanview Picture WIndow cabin for $110 each over the price of a IX Guarantee Inside.

It all worked out well, for booking a cruise at a very late day, for us. Our booking was through a TA, however I got a confirmation from NCL before the email came from the TA,

I’ve read through this whole feed and it seems to be the norm for US cruisers to book through a TA. There are advantages in booking direct in that you can at least negotiate direct with NCL, about T’s & C’s. (Which seem to be fairly flexible, leaning to their advantage anyway).

What they are saying, in not so many words, when they state “you’ve got it cheap enough anyway” (which I think is rude and would tell them to stuff it) is that you can’t have it both ways.

You obv book with a TA to get a better deal, then almost expect the right to bid and gain again!

I think NCL need to get some manners as a company, your TA passed on “too much info” and what about tackling this particular point in the contract through holiday Ofcom?

Just sayin’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Search about doing second bid. Yea, that question is hard to find in a search. Then again, a quick scan through a few days posts on this thread and that question would be answered and others that you may not have even thought of.

I will add, that not only do the rules not allow it, but by time you get your cabin that you won via a bid, they may well be done doing all the upgrades anyways.

Thank you!

My son bid the minimum of $2000 to upgrade from a standard mini suite to a 2 bedroom Haven suite when he booked his cruise. The Monday before the Sunday sailing of his cruise he was emailed that his bid was accepted and his cabin assignment was given to him at that time. It was about a $5000 savings over booking the suite originally.

You must remember that when you put in your bid it is not optional when it is awarded to you, the amount will be billed to your credit card as soon as the bid is accepted.

Sure miss the Upgrade Fairy. This bidding stuff sucks. And, it seems that loyalty is no longer a factor. Platinum don’t mean squat anymore. Worse, it starting your vacation in a negative, depressed state of mind. I sail tomorrow, in a cabin that already seems like a let down. Way to go NCL. Buzz kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sure miss the Upgrade Fairy. This bidding stuff sucks. And, it seems that loyalty is no longer a factor. Platinum don’t mean squat anymore. Worse, it starting your vacation in a negative, depressed state of mind. I sail tomorrow, in a cabin that already seems like a let down. Way to go NCL. Buzz kill.

Yep. Posted that comment months back. Miss the upsell. I could choose my cabin with them. Pay up and get my upgrade. Now it is a craps shot.

Exactly

But that is what NCL kept on insisting, you already saved enough money. I posted this more of a heads up for everyone else. I did not know about any restrictions on bidding. What my TA doesn't get is their were 3 other couples with the exact same booking, same cabin, same perks and same total price. They did get the bidding email. As I said before this was the first time the TA has heard of this, two people with the same issue yesterday. I get it, don't really like it but thats life. The TA wants a better answer from NCL so they can give their customers a heads up to the possibility of not getting a bid. They have been in the bidding process from day one and never had a pax not receive an invite to bid until yesterday.

Like I said before getting a chance to bid is not a do or die situation. Great if we can, no big deal if we can't. What really pissed me off is NCL coming back and saying if we pay another $800 on our already paid for in full cruise they will open up the bidding to us. To me thats just blackmail.

I have read this entire thread, the same questions gets answered over and over, It would be nice if this was for just the upgrade bids and whether they were accepted etc, maybe another thread for upgrade discussion...

Anyways I was looking forward to bid, but your post got me concerned I might not get an offer, any way to share your TA, even a clue as to who it was, I am new to the boards but it says I can't message you privately

Thanks

I have read this entire thread, the same questions gets answered over and over, It would be nice if this was for just the upgrade bids and whether they were accepted etc, maybe another thread for upgrade discussion...

Anyways I was looking forward to bid, but your post got me concerned I might not get an offer, any way to share your TA, even a clue as to who it was, I am new to the boards but it says I can't message you privately

Thanks

CCV Princeton, NJ

CCV Princeton, NJ

awesome thanks, I used a different TA, also from NJ though, hopefully I will get an offer, I have a few extra thousand around now but the price for a suite on my march jade sailing is 7K more right now than my Balcony not exactly worthwhile to me at this point, I can do maybe 3K but 7K seems excessive LOL

My son bid the minimum of $2000 to upgrade from a standard mini suite to a 2 bedroom Haven suite when he booked his cruise. The Monday before the Sunday sailing of his cruise he was emailed that his bid was accepted and his cabin assignment was given to him at that time. It was about a $5000 savings over booking the suite originally.

You must remember that when you put in your bid it is not optional when it is awarded to you, the amount will be billed to your credit card as soon as the bid is accepted.

Your son got a good deal. I received an "opportunity" to bid on a 2 bedroom Haven suite but the minimum bid was $100 more than the cost of just booking it outright. The high end of the bidding scale was almost $3,000 more than the original cost. Why they would even bother to send out an email on this is beyond me.

Your son got a good deal. I received an "opportunity" to bid on a 2 bedroom Haven suite but the minimum bid was $100 more than the cost of just booking it outright. The high end of the bidding scale was almost $3,000 more than the original cost. Why they would even bother to send out an email on this is beyond me.

Why? Because somebody may well bid and not look at what the cost is to book directly. People do crazy things.

Because some people won’t check and bid thinking they’re getting a good deal.

on my upcoming 11day cruise, i bid $60pp for inside to balcony.

on the Rollcall, 2 separate people who bid the minimum ($50pp) got an upgrade, and i didnt. :confused: :(

but they paid $650pp + taxes for their fare, which included a promo. i only paid $400 + taxes for gty (no promos).

apparently the formula is this:

winning bid = fare price you paid + upgrade bid

in my case: 400 + 60 = 460

for them, it was 650 + 50 = $700

I had upgrade offer to bid on a Mini Suite with minimum bid of $35/person. Called my PCC with some questions and he told me he could upgrade me to a guarantee mini suite for free! I didn't take the offer though since I prefer to pick my own location.

on my upcoming 11day cruise, i bid $60pp for inside to balcony.

on the Rollcall, 2 separate people who bid the minimum ($50pp) got an upgrade, and i didnt. :confused: :(

but they paid $650pp + taxes for their fare, which included a promo. i only paid $400 + taxes for gty (no promos).

apparently the formula is this:

in my case: 400 + 60 = 460

for them, it was 650 + 50 = $700

Maybe this is true, but I am betting money against it. If I was the CEO, I would have someone's a$$ over that. NCL would much rather get $60 for that room change instead of $50. The amount you paid never changes, for either of you. Only the extra money to NCL changed.

You did have a slight twist here that might have made the difference. You had a GTY and they had assigned rooms. They may have wanted to leave your gty alone?

And, maybe with the slight variance is price, they want to "reward" the folks that paid more. In this example, it was only $10 difference, or $20 total.

Maybe this is true, but I am betting money against it. If I was the CEO, I would have someone's a$$ over that.

NCL would much rather get $60 for that room change instead of $50. The amount you paid never changes, for either of you. Only the extra money to NCL changed.

You did have a slight twist here that might have made the difference. You had a GTY and they had assigned rooms. They may have wanted to leave your gty alone?

apparently, ncl WILL accept a lower bid over a higher bid since im an example of that.

for my gty, i've had my room assignment for a week when the other posters announced that their bids were accepted (both on same day).

my room was IB (midship inside) which isnt a bad location.

based on a sample size = 1, the only logical answer is my formula:

:)

apparently, ncl WILL accept a lower bid over a higher bid since im an example of that.

for my gty,...

based on a sample size = 1, the only logical answer is my formula:

:)

Again, maybe, maybe not. You had a GTY room. The others did not.

Your experience does not prove you are right, or that I am right. Only an experience.

Okay, what this situation MIGHT prove is that if you have a GTY and another person has a regular cabin, then can win the upgrade with a bid $20 less than yours. Maybe. ( I believe you said they got the upgrade for $50x2 vs your $60x2 bid)

Question for Jewel class upgrades. If booking balcony have you received upgrade invite for Haven or is it just invite for mini suite and s suites?

I know the bigger ships don’t have the s suite categories so balcony and mini suites get invited for Haven. Not sure how they categorize for Jewel class and if on Jewel do the only invites for Haven bids go to mini suite and s suites or do balconies also get the invite. Thanks

Not sure if this has been asked or not, 126 pages is a lot to go through. We have 2 connecting mini-suites booked. Would love to move to 1 2 bedroom Haven suite. Would this be possible at all and how would that work? How would 2 rooms with 2 people each move to 1 room with 4 people in it? Not sure they would allow this.

I would have though that both parties would have to bid

Have both been offered to bid to upgrade ?

Neither of us have yet, we are to far out. I am just trying to find out if the scenario would work or not. Looks like probably not, which I am fine with too. I booked us in rooms we will be happy in, not matter what happens.

We have been offered to bid but our friends have not and they are next room to us

All bids are from one room to one higher room.

No way to combine. Okay, there is one way if you could find somebody at NCL to talk to and allow a special non-normal change in cabins.

But... think about it. One of you could easily win and not the other. Be careful.

You friends may have gotten an option, but they may have to log in to see it.