Does anyone prefer a forward stateroom??

jules815

Was having a conversation about this with my daughter. We'll be sailing together on Reflection in April. We're in an S1 (2109) on deck 12 that's probably the highest up and farthest forward we've ever been. We actually enjoy the movement, and don't mind if the seas are a little rough.

I know there are lots of Aft lovers out there. Curious how many enjoy being forward.

I actually would choose forward over aft. I don't particularly care for the aft view and like to see where I am headed rather than look at the wake. On the S-class, the aft verandah I had ended up with a lot of soot on it. I also enjoy the motion of the ship and dislike the lack of stairs or elevators at the aft on the S-class ships.

The afts on the M-class at least have very large verandah, but many of them have a dark cabin as the verandah is mostly covered.

Give me a forward cabin close to the stairs and I'm much happier.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We don't mind forward. Rocks one to sleep. Our second cruise ever in 1995 was way forward on Legend of the Seas to Alaska. It was a great cruise so maybe that's why we have a special place in our hearts for forward.

Most recent cruise on Equinox we had the FV all the way forward on deck 8. Loved it.

We almost always book way forward or way aft.

We enjoy forward, especially on the Millinium-class ships. We love the T-Spa and love a SR just below it so we can zip up in the morning and soak away. Love the light breakfast next to it, and the warm, saltwater pool with the steel pipes on the side for laying on and the bubbles coming up and massaging us.

Den

Was having a conversation about this with my daughter. We'll be sailing together on Reflection in April. We're in an S1 (2109) on deck 12 that's probably the highest up and farthest forward we've ever been. We actually enjoy the movement, and don't mind if the seas are a little rough.

I know there are lots of Aft lovers out there. Curious how many enjoy being forward.

We much prefer to be forward, seems quieter and on the S class ships you don't have the life boats below, easier Port view. Especially nice for Aqua class with Spa and gym nearby plus lounge up front.

We did one, a suite on the Ruby Princess, where we could wave to the officers on the bridge. Every night the outside furniture moved all the way round the balcony to block the door. The balcony was also flooded several times and unusable. To make matters worse there was a door next to our suite that allowed guests onto the area above the bridge who could then look straight into our cabin. The wind caused by the motion of the ship made the balcony too cold when it was not flooded. Will never do a cabin at the front again.

We always get afts on the M Class but on our first S last month we were in AQ and chose to be very far forward (1533). I didn't want a mid-ship AQ because of feared noise from pools above, we were under Acupuncture, blissfully quiet. I was surprised how much I didn't mind a side balcony (I missed the wake but it was fine), we liked being close to the forward stairs, and our particular cruise was very calm so we had no motion at all. I did miss the larger cover of the M class afts - we don't like to sit in the sun, and even though our balcony did have a partial cover, it was in full sun a lot of the time.

Our first cruise was in a very forward cabin on deck 9. Ever since then, we've almost exclusively sailed in forward cabins. The one time we had an aft cabin, I got so dang turned around everyday! (and I'm not one to typically get turned around at all).

I've noticed no difference in motion from front to back on our cruises. Honestly, I typically feel motion much more in the evening during MDR dinners, which is typically a lower aft deck on most ships.

Dan

We also enjoy forward, as we are AQ sailors and prefer not to have the overhang of midship. He like being under the hair salon starboard (port on Reflection). Very quiet. Starboard has better access to the spiral stairs to the fitness center as well. We each use that facility regularly and love the convenience. Also like to bound up the stairs to the AQ Cafe for morning coffee.

Never say never, but after my experience with 3103 on the Reflection, I'd be wary of any forward cabin near blank space on the deck plan. So noisy! There was clattering of something (dishes, trays?) and rolling carts into the wee hours of the morning and beginning again week before dawn.

Vicki

Never say never, but after my experience with 3103 on the Reflection, I'd be wary of any forward cabin near blank space on the deck plan. So noisy! There was clattering of something (dishes, trays?) and rolling carts into the wee hours of the morning and beginning again week before dawn.

Vicki

While we love forward cabins, we still follow some basic rules...2 of which you broke. We only book cabins that are surrounded (above, below and around) by other passenger cabins. Your cabin was over the crew deck (hard to get a detailed deck plan of the crew deck) and under a public area.

So lets talk about why we prefer forward cabins. Having spent far more then 3 years of our lives on ships (as Passengers) we have seldom had any very rough seas (we are talking about 20 foot plus). The main mechanical rooms of any ship are arrayed around the center of the ship (center of gravity) and towards the aft. The props are in the aft quarter of any ship (be it regular props or Azipods). The mechanical sounds of engines, motors, props, blowers, etc.. can carry through the above decks. Also, on many ships there can be significant vibration in the aft third of a ship due to the props, cavitation, etc.

So what is in the forward quarter of a ship? That is an area (below decks) mostly used for storage. The main mechanical systems in the forward area are the bow thrusters...which are only utilized when entering or leaving ports. You do not feel any engine vibration in the forward areas because the engines (and motors) are all well behind this part of the ship. In the aft end of many ships you can also get a weird shimmy caused by prop action at certain speeds. This does not happen towards the bow. On most ships, the public decks that are far forward are used for the main theater...which is generally dark and unused during the night and early morning. There is also very little foot traffic on the forward corridors...while the aft may have lots of foot traffic from folks heading to the Lido and dining rooms (nearly always in the aft of ships). And we have never had any soot fall onto our forward balconies...but have had clothes ruined towards the aft of several ships....due to soot. Another benefit of cabins towards the bow is that they are not very popular....which often means there are some very good pricing for those categories.

As to views, personally we prefer to look forward rather than aft. We understand that some folks spend their lives looking aft....but its not our style :).

The major downside of cabins towards the bow is that you will get lots of up/down motion in heavy seas. Personally, we enjoy that kind of motion and it simply rocks us asleep. On our more then 100 cruises (to 6 continents) we have only had a few really rough days (one was in a hurricane with 40 foot+ seas which was a hell of a ride in our forward cabin. On the other hand, while most on that cruise (Celebrity Meridian) were quite sick....DW, DD and moi had a lot of fun (holding on for dear life).

Hank

We have been in the family cabins for 9 of our Celebrity cruises which means our cabins either have faced out over the bow of the ship or the stern. We liked both locations and our next two cruises will be at the front of the ship on S-class. The only drawback I have experienced with our forward cabin the three times we've been aboard Eclipse is that I usually am awakened by the sound of the anchoring of the ship when we arrive at a port that we are not docking at.

However the few times that we have been invited to the bridge or the helipad, being up front is mighty convenient. Also I liked our forward cabin's close proximity to the Celebrity Theater and the observation lounge.

We enjoy forward, and aft actually. We had a forward penthouse on NCL last year - our favorite cabin to date. We also had 2 rough sea days - the movement didn't bother us. Having said that we have also done and enjoy the aft. We have an aft A2 cabin booked on the Summit next year. If we can't get / want to pay for either we will usually pick the forward section. Oh who am I kidding - at this point we would sail in any outside cabin if given the chance ;)

We have been in the family cabins for 9 of our Celebrity cruises which means our cabins either have faced out over the bow of the ship or the stern. We liked both locations and our next two cruises will be at the front of the ship on S-class. The only drawback I have experienced with our forward cabin the three times we've been aboard Eclipse is that I usually am awakened by the sound of the anchoring of the ship when we arrive at a port that we are not docking at.

However the few times that we have been invited to the bridge or the helipad, being up front is mighty convenient. Also I liked our forward cabin's close proximity to the Celebrity Theater and the observation lounge.

The exact reason to have forward cabin on sea days. When anchor is released , time to start the day. When a sea day there is NEVER a hallway noise to be had. Enjoy the long walk to cabin and the extra space of slanted windows.

Have sailed in the Sweet 16 cabins on M class and liked the proximity to the forward elevators - aa quick ride to the theater or the T-pool area. Conversely, a long walk to the rear of the ship where the MDR is.

I am jealous of those who love the motion. I am very susceptible to sea sickness and I feel there is definitely more motion that causes it in the front of the ship. Aft has a lot of motion too, but it tends to be more side to side shaking whereas the front of the ship has that up and down rolling motion that can turn me green in a hurry. If that truly is not an issue for you, forward is great.

We used to prefer the aft 'long balcony' cabins on the M ships. Since their introduction, we sail exclusively on the S class ships. As of last year, I now require and accessible cabin. So when booking a veranda accessible, I have no choice but to book forward of the forward elevators. I do wish accessible veranda cabins were available by the midship elevators. It would make it easier to reach the MDR, Al Bacio, and buffet, and the rest of the common areas of the ship.

We used to prefer the aft 'long balcony' cabins on the M ships. Since their introduction, we sail exclusively on the S class ships. As of last year, I now require and accessible cabin. So when booking a veranda accessible, I have no choice but to book forward of the forward elevators. I do wish accessible veranda cabins were available by the midship elevators. It would make it easier to reach the MDR, Al Bacio, and buffet, and the rest of the common areas of the ship.