Voyager - Singapore-Hong Kong, 2/20-3/7/17 - Wes, Rachel & Rumor, LIVE!

Mr Rumor

We're now waiting in the theater for our all day tour and then airport drop off. David, the restaurant mgr, saw me on the elliptical as we was departing the voyager for a well earned vacation. He thanked me for the hand written letter I sent to Franck to David letting David (and Franck) know his management skills contributed greatly to making this our fav of 24 cruises. Also, sent hand written notes to Niven (horizon lounge bartender), Federico and Valentina head waiters in La Veranda. Off now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry that we couldn't connect, safe travels home, regards to Ida.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Want to echo the many thanks to Rachel and George for their outstanding effort in words & Pics in was an honor to blog with you.

Look forward to our next blog when we are all together and for now look forward to blogging again in early 2019 on the Mariner with Rich (and Ginny) Shanghai to Tokyo.

We are now at lunch during our tour, so wanted to post some more Garden (Nan Liam and adjacent Chi Lin Nunnery) photos--stunning beauty in the middle of busy Hong Kong. You stroll the gorgeous gardens as they play soothing music in the background--really calming. Borrowing the Garden's brochures' words, "Although the Garden is within the bustling city, visitors who follow the designed Garden route will be able to appreciate the ever-changing scenery and to experience the picturesque and poetic ambiance of the Garden". Our visit to the Nan Lina Garden was in itself worth taking this full day tour.

c53f749e9b472e4ef27d398fdaf38c90.jpg378ab273c76ee854a160a03f302a2959.jpg5831748ef9637efadaf4e25c9e7932c3.jpgb5536b58328dc7471d63aeb03cd4ac93.jpg

We're delighted with our room on the tenth floor of the Kowloon-Shangri-La. And the gracious, friendly staff bookends the cheerful team at the Fairmont Singapore, where we enjoyed our pre-night.

I'm officially into overtime on this blog, given that another couple has taken possession of Suite 743 on the Voyager. But since all of the stops on Jewels of Hong Kong were featured in one Voyager Hong Kong excursion or another I thought I'd carry on a little longer.

We've still got a full day of touring to go before we enjoy a full day on our own, but we've already sampled several jewels today: Chi Lin Nunnery and the Nan Lian Garden, which Wes and I have already praised; the Flower Market and the Yuen Po Street Street Bird Garden. The only dud so far: the Jade Market, which our guide warned us about. Victor: "Are they the real colors? They will swear yes, but many of the pieces have been injected with chemicals." We poked our heads in long enough to groan at the garish greens, reds and oranges, and to be immediately approached by a handful of hawkers. We checked out the nearby produce market instead.

Victor, a career guide who speaks excellent English, is our unadvertised jewel of Hong Kong. I think I speak for the 40 in our group that we're delighted to have him for tomorrow, too. Regarding the Hong Kong flower trade, he explained how mainland China has come to be the dominating force: "With all kinds of soils and climates, China grow everything. Even orchids, and at prices you can't believe. They took the market away from Thailand."

As we negotiated various Kowloon neighborhoods in the shadows of apartment high-rises, Victor startled me with some numbers. "Hong Kong real estate prices are the highest in the world," he said. "Even $10 million US in a really nice area doesn't get you very far." He noted as we passed a particular new high-end building that apartments there were going for $3,000 US a square foot, but that even in that building an appliance we take for granted won't be found: a dryer. "Every square inch counts," Victor explained. "Which is why washing machines are in the kitchen. Laundry is hung outside."

So what about the many/most who can't afford $1.5 million for a 500 square foot apartment? According to Victor, the government has an ambitious subsidized housing building program, adding that almost half of Hong Kong's population of 7.5 million lives "much cheaper than in private apartments." But, as you can probably guess: "There's a waiting list."

Rich

We were so enthused to be photographing the blooms at the Flower Market that we didn't even notice the no-photography signs in some of the stalls until we were about to put our cameras away. I think we may have been left alone because we were having so much fun.

6b344b39bc29cabccff2f8c0bfc660db.jpg

2e14bb4e1e10cef5287c44114e0c5d3f.jpg

09f59a25b1ca000fe34d89579bab86f2.jpg

At the Bird Garden, Ginny was in parrotdise. Victor remarked that in Hong Kong tending to, and selling, birds is a guy thing and that many of the merchants are retired gentlemen.

014fc762e7d3719e57d6578978a2acb2.jpg

Interacting with the locals, as we like to do.

6554e01f29c6f65612b1479ae25cb0bd.jpg

571115894c29cb4451d9382fda2825b3.jpg

Finally, it feels like our fabulous Oceania and Asia cruise trip is nearing an end. We are now in the Singapore Airlines Lounge waiting (only six+ hours to go) for our flight first to San Francisco. Changing to Delta flight (11pm Tues nite) to Atlanta and we will be home Wednesday early morning. Besides our howling 2b's welcome (Bella and Bailee), our lawns await possible mowing, and our 2016 taxes await final preparation--oh joy.

Our Regent Seven Seas Voyager Grand Voyage (Auckland to Singapore) is now our favorite of 24 cruises among Silversea and Regent. Props go to the Voyager crew who enhanced our cruise and made this our fav cruise; David dos Santos, the restaurant manager who daily went above and beyond for us, Margaret Lynn--the full of energy, always smiling cruise director, Niven (our Horizon Lounge bartender) who made caprihina's, margarita's, mojito's and Ida's special strawberry champagne cocktail. And Head Waiters Valentina and Federico who brightened the start of our day at breakfast, then rekindled that exceptionally positive energy at lunch.

We blogged also on Facebook (for family, friends) with positive words and pics but also here. A ton of thanks go to fellow bloggers Rich and Dr. Rachel whose passion for our cruise made our blog hopefully enjoyable for readers.

Now, alas it is time for Laksa (Singaporean-style noodle soup and Dim Sum complemented with their complementary Vueve Cliquot Yellow Lavel) champagne. Heck, if I did not know it we are still on board.

Finally, for the first time in 13 years of cruising, we met our stewardess (Sarah Jane) and a Restaurant server (Adriana) at the Singapore airport--we all hugged and wished each other safe travels home (Sarah Jane and Adriana to Manila) and us to ATL

6a82850d1399d393df8f499e3c083325.jpgba15e388e0d42d3eb08b9fdf281cd64e.jpg

For the at home cruisers this has been a wonderful thread/blog. Continual interesting posts and wonderful photographs. Pity it has to end. Safe travels home and thanks to you all again. Jean.

Couldn't agree more - an absolute treat! Thanks to you all :)

Wes, Rachel, and Rich, thanks so much for taking us along on your fabulous trip. Mark and I have enjoyed "having breakfast" every morning with you as we read your daily blog. We are sad your travels have come to an end! Safe travels home to all!

Susan

Thank you all again for the fantastic posts and pictures of your wonderful itinerary. I really loved all the personal photos as it seemed like we got to see you all and felt like we were there with you.

Hope you are all getting home or are there already and have had a safe trip.

(Not to be stalker lady here) but there were surnames in a previous post and i was able to trace all on FB, maybe we shouldn't post surnames on here.

Take care and enjoy getting back to normal and looking forward to your next cruise.

Ps, sorry to go on about this but if folks want to be savvy and don't want to be named in a public forum then they need to be careful who they are friends with on FB and make sure their friends pages are closed, also using the same avatar on both pages will most likely get you noticed.

Rude passengers-- several come to mind.

I had to chuckle at this. I doubt I could keep my cool for the balsamic vinegar incident! I did have a run in on our segment while in La Veranda for lunch. The restaurant was not crowded and i waited patiently while an older woman served herself shrimp. She put down the tongs and moved forward a few inches, i picked up the tongs and she turned and scowled at me. I immediately offered apologies and said that I thought she was done. She then turned her back to me. I said in a louder voice "I apologize, I didn't mean to offend you." She wouldn't turn. Well, I was miffed and my best friend came up and I related the story. The lady turned to my friend (Mixing up me for my friend) and said she accepted my apology. She said she was trying to make up her mind. It then immediately dawned on me that she was probably sinking into dementia thus the slowed down, confused thought processes. I related this story to another passenger and she said the same woman and her husband were at reception while they were getting money. The woman tried to take the money until her husband intervened.

The staff is so universally sweet. It hurts my heart to think they would have to take abuse without reacting.

March 7, 2017-disembarkation and final thoughts

George did not care for this part of the world. He would not return, though he was really happy to see Corregidor and enjoyed Singapore. I would come back if the itinerary was right, but have no desire to return to Brunei or Malaysia.

Rude passengers-- several come to mind. We had dinner one night at a shared table in Prime 7. The lady at the table asked for balsamic vinegar for her salad. They brought her balsamic dressing. She proceeded to really go off on the waitress in a very mean way. The waitress apologized and brought out some vinegar in a small bowl. The lady tasted it and declared it was not balsamic vinegar at all but rather wine vinegar. Now the manager got involved and brought our the bottle that it had been poured from which clearly said "balsamic vinegar". The lady still wouldn't let it go, and proceeded to basically have a fit. I tried to explain that there are all sorts of grades of balsamic vinegar, and that perhaps that was the issue. She was having none of that, and it kind of put a big damper on the rest of the meal

One morning, George went to breakfast by himself. It was early in the cruise when I was taking forever to get easy because of the arm. He got his table for 2 in La veranda, put his newspaper and glasses there, and went up and ordered eggs and bacon. He came back and there was a man and woman sitting at the table. George said, "I was sitting here. That is my stuff." The man refused to move, to avoid confrontation, George just picked up his things and went to another table nearby. The waiter brings out George's eggs and bacon to the table where he had originally been sitting, and the man takes it and starts eating. Just amazing!

!

Rude passengers has long been my pet peeve on cruise ships (or any other place for that matter). We have seen extreme rudeness on just about every cruise we have taken. While I rarely raise my voice about anything, I "went off" on a passenger that was screaming at a crew member in La Veranda. I could not stand by and let the abuse continue.:mad:

After reading what George went through having his table taken away from him, I suppose we should all remember to put our "stuff" on the table - in plain sight. It always amazes me the measure that some passengers will take to get a window table in La Veranda. It isn't like they can't see the ocean from a table, from most places on the ship, their suite and balcony.

Glad that you are home (or are almost home) and will hopefully be able to return to work soon. Your one-hand typing is amazing!

In La veranda, you have to give a table number when you are ordering your eggs. So if dining alone, the only way to stake out a table is to put your stuff there. The table George had his stuff on was by the window, but I could not the nerve of that table stealer to go ahead and eat George's breakfast.

As annoying as rudeness is, it's the entitled arrogance that absolutely drives me crazy. We experienced a number of low grade incidents last November on the Explorer, which I won't bother recounting, which we just let pass. I'm now more hesitant to let even this kind of stuff pass on upcoming cruises. Future offenders better watch out!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good morning from the Kowloon Shangri-La. Polished off a delicious breakfast in the expansive Cafe Kool and am fortified for a big tour day. The itinerary includes Victoria Peak, Man Mo Temple, Stanley Market, a ride on a sampan boat in Aberdeen, and more. A buffet lunch is included.

We wanted to eat light last night and wound up having a delicious Turkish vegetarian meal (lentil soup and a meze platter with five items) at the nearby Istanbul Express for a very reasonable 275 HKD (about $35US). Should have quit there, but I just felt I had to have an ice cream. After walking Ginny back to the hotel (it was getting a little nippy by then) I ventured back out and walked, and walked, looking in vain for a gelateria/ice cream parlor and concluding that locals are just not big on frozen treats. Finally, I decided to venture into a McDonald's for the first time in probably 20 years and had a McFlurry. It was. . . not good!

Rich

Good morning from the Kowloon Shangri-La. Polished off a delicious breakfast in the expansive Cafe Kool and am fortified for a big tour day. The itinerary includes Victoria Peak, Man Mo Temple, Stanley Market, a ride on a sampan boat in Aberdeen, and more. A buffet lunch is included.

We wanted to eat light last night and wound up having a delicious Turkish vegetarian meal (lentil soup and a meze platter with five items) at the nearby Istanbul Express for a very reasonable 275 HKD (about $35US). Should have quit there, but I just felt I had to have an ice cream. After walking Ginny back to the hotel (it was getting a little nippy by then) I ventured back out and walked, and walked, looking in vain for a gelateria/ice cream parlor and concluding that locals are just not big on frozen treats. Finally, I decided to venture into a McDonald's for the first time in probably 20 years and had a McFlurry. It was. . . not good!

Rich

Great story. Must admit that there have been a few times when I'm away from home for a while that I sneak into McDonald's for something familiar.

A Turkish vegetarian meal sounds devine!

Our second and last Jewels of Hong Kong tour day is in the books (we're on our own tomorrow). We started out in a drizzle at about 9:15 a.m. with 33 onboard, seven fewer than yesterday. Within a few minutes the sprinkles ended, but the rest of the day was cloudy.

As we motored over (and under the harbor in one of Hong Kong's 33 tunnels) to Aberdeen, guide Victor gave us a brief history of Hong Kong from the First and Second Opium Wars through the Quin Dynasty's 1898 lease, for 99 years, of the New Territories to Britain that would add very significantly to Hong Kong's land mass. What struck me was the fact that the 99 years was decided on almost casually, as a face-saving measure for the ailing dynasty, with both sides believing at the time that the lease would go on in perpetuity.

In Aberdeen we took a 20-minute sampan ride past motorized fishing junks that are parked in the harbor when not in use. Afterwards, Victor remarked that only 2,800 fishing junks are currently registered, down from a high of 4,200. Victor said he expects the trend to continue: "Young people aren't interested in fishing."

Next up: the nearby Aberdeen Jewelry Factory. I'm almost always wary of shopping stops, but Victor sold me on the fact that AJF, a third-generation family business that was the first Hong Kong jeweler to export its work worldwide (including to Tiffany's), and had set prices. I wound up surprising DW with the suggestion that she look for a little something featuring her birthstone. She happily settled on a aquamarine and gold pendant. More Hubby Points!

The literal/figurative high point of the day followed, a photo stop at Victoria Peak (elevation: 1811 feet). On the way, Victor entertained us with the story of how the tram that later returned us to the base of the peak came to be built in the 1880s as a way for the Hong Kong's most privileged, including the governor (Sir Richard MacDonald), to more easily be able to access their summer homes. Victoria Peak continues to this day to be Hong Kong's most pricey address, with apartment prices of $5000US per square foot and up.

By now it was lunch time. As we drove to the restaurant, our veteran guide pitched us on a schedule change. Since Hong Kong Taoist temples look very similar to one another, he suggested we substitute Man Mo, the one listed on the day's schedule, with Tin Hau, located next door to our restaurant. That way we could save the time it would take to drive to Man Mo, giving us more time to eat and stroll the nearby Stanley Market. Victor needed the unanimous approval of the group and we were happy to give it.

Lunch was at the King Ludwig Beerhall in a onetime British military building that had been taken apart, brick by brick, from land returned to China and reconstructed in Stanley, "like Lego" according to Victor. The German themed buffet was crowded with rich seafood and meat offerings, as well as salads and vegetables (I ate too much), and a selection of various types of desserts that rivaled, numbers wise, the La Veranda lunchtime dessert display (again I ate too much). We are fasting on water tonight in our room because we're still full.

Afterwards we were even happier we had passed on Man Mo, because Tin Hau was easily covered in a brief walk-through. I was interested to learn from Victor that Tin Hau, which honors the sea goddess, is especially popular with fishermen, as well as farmers.

The Stanley Market was packed with stalls offering a variety of souvenirs and clothing items. We didn't bite. Then it was an hour drive back to Kowloon through the traffic to our hotel. Victor, who was just outstanding, got a hearty round of applause as we pulled up to the Shangri-La. Ginny surprised him with a big hug that had him grinning from ear to ear.

As Jewels of Hong Kong is effectively over for us, and as we have no big plans for tomorrow save for spending our remaining Hong Kong Dollars and perhaps checking out the "Hong Kong Story" at the Museum of History before flying home on Friday, this concludes my Hong Kong reporting. But please stay tuned as I'll be doing a final summing-up, loose-ends-tying post.

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

I'd like to leave you for now with a laugh.

At the Tin Hau temple I observed sections of newspapers arranged on the ground in front of the entrance to the temple. Several were weighted down with pieces of a wooden branch.

Curious, I asked the temple's greeter if there was a spiritual significance to this arrangement of papers and sticks.

No, she laughed, "It's where dog poo poo!"

Edited by Mr Rumor