Venice - at the beginning or end?

bebe08

We will be doing a Caribbean cruise in April, and I've been researching what cruise we may want to book while onboard.

We have done one Med cruise before but it didn't include Venice which is high on or bucket list.

It seems cruises either begin or end in Venice....is there an advantage to one over the other?

Based on dates, the Barcelona - Venice cruise in Sep 2018 looks like it would work well for us. However wondering if we are missing out by not experiencing a sailaway from Venice. How high would you rate this in choosing an itinerary?

Definitely a first world problem, but would appreciate any advice on this :)

Thanks

We're doing one that starts and ends in Venice! It's on Azamara though. I don't think there's a wrong way to do a cruise there though, so try to think about how you feel at the end of a cruise. We're usually really ready to go home at the end of a cruise. A post-cruise stay just feels like we're enduring the inevitable end to our vacation and it's a little depressing. OTOH, doing a pre-cruise stay helps build the excitement for the cruise. Everyone is different though.

I think sailing OUT OF Venice is awesome. Sailing in would most likely be very early in the morning. If you're okay with getting up super early to watch the sail-in and sunrise, then great. If you'd prefer the sunset and sailing away then, do the opposite itinerary. Happy planning! :)

That is a tough call. Both have their pluses and minuses. As DrivesLikeMario says, the sail away is better than the sail in, which is usually very early in the morning and in the dark. However, Venice is a fantastic way to wrap up a great Med cruise. It is arguably one of the most interesting and picturesque cities you will ever visit. We have been there three times, the last on a cruise that ended there. It is so nice to relax after a cruise exploring such a beautiful city rather than to immediately rush off to the airport to get home. The end of a cruise is always a sad time, but if you have a few days in Venice to look forward to, it makes the end the cruise something to actually look forward to instead of dread.

If it were me, I would end the cruise there so that I could make my vacation continue in one of my favorite cities after the cruise. But that sailaway from Venice idea sure is tempting!

Edited by SantaFeFan

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I loved sailing out of Venice on an Adriatic cruise. We stayed several days before the cruise and absolutely loved it. Sailing away from it is bittersweet....

A couple of years ago we flew to Venice, spent one night and took our rented car to the Dolomites, Cinque Terre and on to a cruise in the Med. So, the first time for something IMHO is wonderful, but there are so many special places all over Europe and Venice is very, very special...the Adriatic is wonderful....Enjoy and don't over think like I do!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be doing a Caribbean cruise in April, and I've been researching what cruise we may want to book while onboard.

We have done one Med cruise before but it didn't include Venice which is high on or bucket list.

It seems cruises either begin or end in Venice....is there an advantage to one over the other?

Based on dates, the Barcelona - Venice cruise in Sep 2018 looks like it would work well for us. However wondering if we are missing out by not experiencing a sailaway from Venice. How high would you rate this in choosing an itinerary?

Thanks

Hard choice. For us, it was easier to book a RT from Venice, Constellation, and we'll spend time in Venice before and after. If I did a one-way, it would be out of Venice with ample time there before.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We sailed into Venice - late morning. On top deck w/ opera music playing & sipping champagne. Servers strolling around w/ trays of champagne & mimosa. Amazing way to experience Venice for the first time. We spent 4 nights in Venice & it was fabulous.

We have only sailed away from Venice and can confirm that it is a wonderful experience. Sailing in would be wonderful if all conditions are right but we saw how this could affect the end of any cruise.

It was a very warm August, and we had a couple of nights in a hotel in Venice plus one night on board prior to departure. On the last morning we awoke to thick fog and could not see across the pier to the mooring alongside the ship. A number of private trips were delayed and around midday, when the fog was starting to lift, we spotted an MSC ship arriving late, creeping slowly to the terminal. They probably only had glimpses of the views, in between worrying about their missed flights. Not the way I would want to end a cruise.

Cruising out of Venice is wonderful and there may be a time limit as to how much longer cruise ships will be doing this owing to the ongoing water defence initiatives. We returned to Venice (twice) both times in the very early morning. We got up on both occasions to see but it was very dark.

Venice is a wonderful city to stay in. I would suggest you do lots of looking on the net for small hotel (forget about swimming pools and brand names) look for a location with character, near a water bus stop and just take time to soak in the atmosphere and location. We stayed in one of these little hotels, paid a little more for a room overlooking the canal and loved it! The bathroom was dated, the sink gurgled, no swimming pool and a basic continental breakfast but it remains one of my favourite hotel stays ever (and we often do book high end).

Have a wonderful vacation!

Thanks

Sail in or sail out (or both) wonderful experience in Venice, especially the first time. It's special. If you are talking Constellation in September 2018, unfortunately it docks early in the morning at the end of the cruise with no overnight there. Personally I think you'd be missing out. It's not a bad itinerary though.

We just did a B2B out of Venice last September on Royal. I enjoyed sailing out both time much better than sailing in. It is dark sailing in so you can't really enjoy it as much as sailing out. We also did 4 day before our cruise in Venice and then did a 3 day stop in Amsterdam on our way home.

I'm leaving from Venice August 20, 2018. Venice has always been on our bucket list too, and so I've arranged to arrive 4days early. I'm also the type that once the cruise is over, I just want to get home. Sightseeing around Venice first also allows time to get over the time change from Chicago before starting the cruise, making the first couple days of the cruise more enjoyable.

Edited by jabrown40

We sailed on Silhouette out of Venice. ..only stayed 1 day prior in Venice but wish we would have done at least 2 before we cruised. ....the sail away from Venice is incredible

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

My vote is to sail out of Venice with a balcony cabin on the port side of the ship with 3 or 4 days in Venice ahead of time. It's a great sail a way. A picture of St Marks square as we sailed out is the screen saver on my computer :D. Flying in Venice and then taking a water taxi to your hotel is a unique and easy way to enter the city.

We'd say stay prior to your cruise. This is only my opinion but at the end of any travel we've done, cruises, independent, tours, no matter how much we've enjoyed it we're ready to get home so extra days prior to flights out make us antsy. Doesn't make sense, I know, but the last time we were in Venice was at the tail end of a 3 week independent trip and I don't feel we gave Venice the appreciation it deserved. So, that said, we'll be returning in a few weeks for 3 nights prior to sailing on the Viking Star. Looking forward to seeing it again. The sail out sounds spectacular however we don't leave port until 11:00pm.

I agree you can't go wrong either way!

We solved the issue by doing Florence before and Venice after.

The high speed train creates so many cheap and convenient options.

I'm sure, like our 2014 cruise, it will be a trip you will never forget.

Thanks

We ended our cruise last August in Venice, the sad part was latter that afternoon sitting next to the Grand Canal watching Connie sale by headed to Greece without us!! We did start our cruise in Barcelona and really loved Barcelona and the sail away.

Last year we were on a RC cruise that started and ended in Venice with a over night at the end of the cruise. It was great, however, we stayed 4 days on the Island near the Zarttere water shuttle stop so we did not get off the boat in the arrival over night. Cruisers who did said it was so crowed that it was not enjoyable.

BTW from Zattere shuttle stop to the ship/port is about 6 euros PP and quick.

They might do this cruise every so often.

In 2015 we did both on silhouette, sailed out of Venice in september and sailed in june. The sail out us fabulous and we would not have seen the sail in but we were delayed due to an azipod issue. If you want to see the sail it needs to be a depart. Both however did an overnight in Venice so we got chance to see lots each time

I wouldn't worry so much about the sailing in or out. I would work on the time you have to stay in Venice ( and Barcelona). if you don't add at least two full days in both cities, you are missing two of the most beautiful and interesting cities in the world.

Our friends flew into Venice one day prior to cruising. They spent the first day dragging around after the long day and really regret that. With extra time, not only can you hit some popular touristy stops, you can roam Venice on foot for hours hours coming across beautiful squares, tiny cafes with fantastic food, great shopping etc. Just take along a VERY detailed map. Honestly, make room in your vacation for those extra days! you won't regret it.

I agree with those who say to be sure and leave enough time in your itinerary to truly enjoy Venice (allow for jet lag). Staying in one of the small atmospheric hotels down in the heart of Venice is key. That's where you want to be in the evenings and early mornings when the day trippers go away. Don't stay at the big hotels near the port or (God forbid) over on the mainland. Spend your time in the heart of things someplace romantic that's an easy walk from St. Mark's Square. Just be aware that dragging large amounts of luggage, as many cruisers seem to do, is incompatible with Venice's many footbridges and roughly paved surfaces. If you have lots of luggage you can compensate by choosing a hotel you can reach by (pricey) water taxi. Sail in or sail away all depends on the timing, sunrise/sunset and if you like to drink champagne at the crack of dawn.

We did Venice to Barcelona. Flew into Venice a couple days early to enjoy the city and really enjoy sailing out. We were pooped by the end of the cruise so we didn't get much out of Barcelona. If I were to do it again, I'd do it the same way and save Barcelona for another trip. Nothing compares to Venice.