Are we too young for Oceania?

Dwaff85

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping that you can please answer some questions that I have and give us some insight.

My DH and I are looking at booking a Transatlantic on Sirena next year and am interested to know if people think we are too young to book Oceania.

We are in our 30's and have cruised celebrity up until now. We have found on the last couple of cruises that the level of quality and service on Celebrity is depleting and are looking for something better.

I have looked in the website and it doesn't really give much insight in to what day to day life is like on board. Can anyone give any insight to what onboard entertainment and activities there are?

At the moment there is the 'OLife' offer available when we book. If we do not have a beverage package what drinks are free/included?

Any insight as to what to expect onboard with Oceania is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Victoria

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping that you can please answer some questions that I have and give us some insight.

My DH and I are looking at booking a Transatlantic on Sirena next year and am interested to know if people think we are too young to book Oceania.

We are in our 30's and have cruised celebrity up until now. We have found on the last couple of cruises that the level of quality and service on Celebrity is depleting and are looking for something better.

I have looked in the website and it doesn't really give much insight in to what day to day life is like on board. Can anyone give any insight to what onboard entertainment and activities there are?

At the moment there is the 'OLife' offer available when we book. If we do not have a beverage package what drinks are free/included?

Thanks

Victoria

It depends on what you expect from a ship. If you like romance, quiet, good food, relative freedom to do what you want when you want to, then Oceania is a great choice. If you want to meet other young couples to dine with or socialize, they will be few and far between. Average age is maybe around 70 -- or it seems like it -- but most passengers are active and sharp. We keep pretty much to ourselves and it is a perfect environment if you want to dine alone -- or dine with mostly older couples. You won't find basketball courts, water slides, great entertainment, or much adventure aboard the ship -- even the cuisine, as good as it is, seems targeted at an older demographic-- for example, even the Asian specialty restaurant doesn't have notably spicy food. It depends on your nature as to whether this is a good match. Quality is high (nice beds, generally clean, nice decor, comfortable spaces and furniture, high quality food) and service can be a bit of hit and miss, but usually very good to excellent. This is based on us sailing 3 trips on Marina and Riviera. Have not been on Sirena.

Day starts out for us by visiting the breakfast buffet, then exercise if a sea day or visit the port if a port day. We may or may not come back for lunch. Often we don't and arrive back for tea time, which is sensational, but desserts are very sweet. Then you can have a drink if you wish and then dine. That evening you can go to the evening's entertainment, which is not very good -- or watch TV or turn in early. They have lectures on the ports, also, and a decent library. For us. it is all about the food and the ports. Not much else for us on the ship.

I agree it will depend on your expectations & personality

Most passengers will probably be 50+ but are well travelled & great to chat with during shared dinners

Or you can dine alone if that is your preference

There are not a lot of things like on the larger ships

which attract most of us to Oceania

we do not need hairy leg contests or wet t-shirt etc...

It is calm ambiance some may say boring ;)

It is a different feeling between the larger O class ships & the R ships

All non alcoholic beverages are included

no formal nights

rarely any children

smaller ships so less line ups

Evening entertainment is limited to one show and live music in the bars. TV with DVD players in all cabins, good size DVD library. Things get very quiet after 9. Minimal ship sponsored entertainment. Great food, nice size ship, all beverages included except alcohol.

If you favor discos, busy night life, bar hopping, active entertainment Oceania probably wouldn't be a good fit.

I don't know about the other ships but here's some things we recently did on the Riveria -There's a Culinary Centre where ( for a fee) you can take a cooking class. There's also the Artist Loft where you can take an art class. There's a library with a good selection of books, sometimes during the day there's light entertainment in the pool area. There's social bridge games, trivia games, movies ( we just saw La La Land on the Riveria). There's afternoon tea in the Horizon's Lounge between 4 & 5 and at night, there's dancing.

There's no real night life per se, but it all depends on what your looking for in a cruise. There's plenty to do if your on a cruise that is port intensive - I'm not sure about a transatlantic cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Try a shorter O cruise first to see how you like it,

A Transatlantic with so many sea days would be way way too much for our 50 something children. There are few day time activities compared to the larger ships. You may like being with your parents and grandparents but it will be a very long "visit" on a Transatlantic crossing....

Try a shorter O cruise first to see how you like it,

A Transatlantic with so many sea days would be way way too much for our 50 something children. There are few day time activities compared to the larger ships. You may like being with your parents and grandparents but it will be a very long "visit" on a Transatlantic crossing....

Agree.

Alternatively, try a more port intensive cruise where you are less dependent on or have less time for ship activities.

I personally object to the idea of being "too young" for any cruise line. It's more a question of personality and interests. I am someone who would always have been good to go on a cruise with people far older than I was. When I was in my early 20s several times I celebrated New Year's Eve with my parents and their friends. I was the only young person at the table (generally at a restaurant, not at home) and I enjoyed it far more than more typically frenetic New Year's Eves. I've never liked frenetic times!

We met a young couple (in their 30s) on our first Renaissance cruise. This was a cruise where we looked around at the boat drill and figured that the average age was 70-plus. I was in my mid-to-late 40s, I think, DH would have been mid-50s. I asked this younger couple how they were enjoying the cruise and they were loving it. The DID have a few qualms when as they were boarding they saw four wheelchairs being loaded on the R2 ...

So it's really more a matter of who you are than how old you are. At least that is MY opinion.

On transatlantics there usually are guest lecturers, but you never know what you will be getting. We've been on cruises with several very interesting lecturers, and a few times they were fewer and NOT so interesting. There is no predicting that dynamic. If you are on a port-intensive cruise there probably won't be time for lecturers. They seem to assume everyone will be touring.

And it's very true that there are more activities on the "O" ships -- they are larger and have more space. So the Culinary lessons and the artist's loft just aren't available on the "R" ships.

I adore the library on the "R" ships and am happy to spend there on sea days. But I do pray for good weather ... because if it's bad weather it may be impossible to find a chair.

Then there was the lady on one cruise who came up to the library every day, immediately fell asleep and snored VERY loudly. There is no predicting that aspect either!

Mura

My 2 daughters are in their thirties,but are like chalk and cheese.I don't think either of them would enjoy a transatlantic on Oceania.There would not be enough to do.All the things listed are great,but not daily for them.

Oceania is now our favourite cruise line (in our fifties) but I don't think we could do a transatlantic yet...We like to get on and off at least every few days.We enjoy the few things we do during the day ( no sleeping in the days) but not the entertainment in the evening.(Princess have great nightclubs!)

Oceania is fine for you,I'm sure,but probably not the transatlantic yet...

[quote=Mura;52466175

So it's really more a matter of who you are than how old you are. At least that is MY opinion.

Mura

I couldn't agree with Mura more. We took our first cruise (on the R5, now Nautica) back in 2001. I was 36. It was a 15 day cruise. We were definitely among the youngest, if not youngest, on board. It was an amazing trip. Our favorite experience was dinner with a couple in their late 70's in one of the specialty restaurants. We still talk about that magical evening today.

We have always taken longer voyages, generally to more exotic locales, so both on the mass cruise lines and on Oceania we are in the younger demographic even today. I love multiple sea days, thus we have done two transatlantic cruises and one transpacific.

We have never been bored. We have met incredible people. So the big question to ask yourselves is the one Mura poses above while also considering the points others have made in this thread.

Joe

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I am happy to read that there is always something to do on the ship! We love Transatlantic's and as long as we can find something to do and a good conversation we are happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I am happy to read that there is always something to do on the ship! We love Transatlantic's and as long as we can find something to do and a good conversation we are happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure you won't have any trouble at all finding good conversations. Everyone we have met on O cruises have been extremely friendly and outgoing.

You will be sure to enjoy yourselves on this cruise.

Donna

We recently took our first Oceania cruise, a 22 day segment of Insignia's world cruise. We're 70, and felt we were too young. The average age on the ship had to be well north of 80...and I fully understand that this type of cruise draws an older demographic, but it was far older than we expected. (There was a really glaring exception of a young, 30-ish married couple with two pre-school aged children. I understand they were booked for the full 180 day cruise...how that was going to work out in their inside quad cabin is beyond me.)

If we did not have sufficient reading material downloaded to our tablets we would have been bored to tears given all the sea days we had. In addition to the scheduled at sea days, we had a couple of extra when two ports had to be skipped due to weather conditions.

I personally object to the idea of being "too young" for any cruise line. It's more a question of personality and interests. I am someone who would always have been good to go on a cruise with people far older than I was. When I was in my early 20s several times I celebrated New Year's Eve with my parents and their friends. I was the only young person at the table (generally at a restaurant, not at home) and I enjoyed it far more than more typically frenetic New Year's Eves. I've never liked frenetic times!

We met a young couple (in their 30s) on our first Renaissance cruise. This was a cruise where we looked around at the boat drill and figured that the average age was 70-plus. I was in my mid-to-late 40s, I think, DH would have been mid-50s. I asked this younger couple how they were enjoying the cruise and they were loving it. The DID have a few qualms when as they were boarding they saw four wheelchairs being loaded on the R2 ...

On transatlantics there usually are guest lecturers, but you never know what you will be getting. We've been on cruises with several very interesting lecturers, and a few times they were fewer and NOT so interesting. There is no predicting that dynamic. If you are on a port-intensive cruise there probably won't be time for lecturers. They seem to assume everyone will be touring.

And it's very true that there are more activities on the "O" ships -- they are larger and have more space. So the Culinary lessons and the artist's loft just aren't available on the "R" ships.

I adore the library on the "R" ships and am happy to spend there on sea days. But I do pray for good weather ... because if it's bad weather it may be impossible to find a chair.

Then there was the lady on one cruise who came up to the library every day, immediately fell asleep and snored VERY loudly. There is no predicting that aspect either!

Mura

Sound like you have hit the nail on the head. Agree with you 100%. :):):)

This post reassures me about our decision to do the 10 day OC out of Rome. We had same concerns been "too young" so opted to book a busy cruise. We will be waking up to a different port every day except on day 8. We are in our mid fifties and like to keep busy! So we figure will be too tired from been out visiting different cities to care about limited night activities! This will be our first cruise with Oceania ! Cant wait!

This post reassures me about our decision to do the 10 day OC out of Rome. We had same concerns been "too young" so opted to book a busy cruise. We will be waking up to a different port every day except on day 8. We are in our mid fifties and like to keep busy! So we figure will be too tired from been out visiting different cities to care about limited night activities! This will be our first cruise with Oceania ! Cant wait!

You won't be too young, I'm not yet 60, still a couple years to go, and have been cruising Oceania 7 or 8 years and there are always people in my age group on board. The myth that Oceania has an elderly demographic is just not true. The "majority" of the regular customers are between 55-75 years old, with some outliers. Yes, you will see some people in their 80's and 90's, most of them in fairly good shape. I've met people in their 80's that can run circles around me, and while I'm no athlete I don't have any issues either, other than eating too much good Oceania food.

What happens is you see people report about all the old people on board Oceania, when in truth they usually see a few then tend to exaggerate it out of proportion. In truth probably 75-80% of the folks on board are active and healthy.

What happens is you see people report about all the old people on board Oceania, when in truth they usually see a few then tend to exaggerate it out of proportion. In truth probably 75-80% of the folks on board are active and healthy.

They probably have not looked in the mirror lately either :)

I do not feel I am late 60's but my BC says otherwise & I have no or little gray hair

My SIL went gray at 30 something so people thought she was older

Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Victoria

Vistoria.....to be direct and honest, most passengers will have children older than you. This is a low key, entertain your self cruise for people who want no kids, ln faux glitz, the shows are small and low key...bingo and trivial pursuit are the hot day tickets... bars are empty after dinner most go to their cabins to read... or watch a movie in the cabin... No formal dress, or dress up... no gala anything and the passengers like it that way....

Your questions convey to me you want an up scale celebrity with shows and cuisine and with a full slate of day activities and games... That is NOT O. !!!

The demographics are double your age... and people will be polite but you won't find a common bonding... you wont be shunned but you might feel out of place some what.

All ships are not for all people.... Id wait till I was in my mid to late 50's ....

.No offence but you wont enjoy, in my opinion being on a 17 to 18 day cruise which totally lacks Celeb's vibrant activity. just to get high end cuisine and service...it comes with a price...

The liquor package is not limited except very high end single malt, and Cognac you can order doubles triples... of $26 a shot ports, and other high shelf.... there is no limit... unlike the other lines which have limits of all . So there is an option, get the liquor prem package and get happy and stay hammered and you wont care where you are or with who.........

If ytou dont get a liquor package... all non alcohol, juices, coffee, waters tea, soda are all free, and unlimited...just no booze or wine

We recently took our first Oceania cruise, a 22 day segment of Insignia's world cruise. We're 70, and felt we were too young. The average age on the ship had to be well north of 80...and I fully understand that this type of cruise draws an older demographic, but it was far older than we expected. (There was a really glaring exception of a young, 30-ish married couple with two pre-school aged children. I understand they were booked for the full 180 day cruise...how that was going to work out in their inside quad cabin is beyond me.)

If we did not have sufficient reading material downloaded to our tablets we would have been bored to tears given all the sea days we had. In addition to the scheduled at sea days, we had a couple of extra when two ports had to be skipped due to weather conditions.

I love sea days and I have done a few crossings on Regent and on Oceania's Riviera. I have done several sea day intensive cruises on other lines. I agree witth NJHorseman. My husband, over 70 and me no yet 60 as of the Riviera Crossing felt there was way too little to do. Entertainment and activites are minimal - and that's on Riviera where there is more to do than on Sirena.

Fortunately, we like one another's company and enjoyed our time together. The ship is lovely and food will be good. But if we could not find our peers to socialize with, you will not either.

We need to remember that passengers and their demographics change with each cruise. Plus we've never had a problem finding "peers" who were friendly company on Oceania (and other lines as well). Perhaps it depends on whether you define "peers" as "the same age as us" ... which I never have. More important to us are common interests and sociability.

When we started regular cruising with Renaissance we were among the younger passengers -- by no means the youngest. Now we are in the older contingent ... time does seem to fly. But we always find friendly and interesting company on the ships.

Now as to activities on cruises with many sea days (which we love), we have found that this too varies with the cruise. There have been some where a number of interesting lecturers on sometimes vastly different topics were on board, and others where we thought there could have been more.

But you won't know what this situation is until you are actually on board.

Mura

OP: pardon the blue humor but, just remember the story of "the old bull and the young bull."

Seriously, the average demographic on O ships is 50s-70s with more families/kids on summer cruises to Alaska and Med and more older folks on long hauls to the more far flung locations.

More than age, I suggest you look at other factors. We've met some very interesting and accomplished cosmopolitan folks on O, which often gave rise to wide-ranging conversations at dinner and events.

For us, now retired, O cruises provide civility and courtesy among the vast majority of passengers, bolstered by excellent food and service.

Even on transoceanic cruises with many sea days, you can be as busy as you want as long as it doesn't involve rock walls, art auctions, prom nights, water slides and nickel/diming. Count the chair hogs on only one hand. Rest assured that grubby passengers will not manhandle buffet food (since it is served by galley staff).

Try your hand at cooking or art classes (on Riviera or Marina). Sit back and enjoy some of the best lectures from carefully selected educators. Learn a new skill at Stitch & Bitch. Wonder at the multiple clonings of Cliff Claven at Trivia contests where, at least, someone will know the correct answer (and launch into a lesson on that topic). Peruse an impressive library of books and video (including some first run movies)........

We are some of those "older PEERS" being in the 70's (myself) and the 80's (my Husbear). Let's face it: NOTHING has changed since we started cruising back in the 1970's: "The longer the cruise, the higher the average age" was true then and it is true now.

Nothing to do (on board) and yet when there is a lot to do we hear from some, "Oh, it's too Disney" and "Oh, it's so Carnival" and "Oh, there's no way I'd be on that ship where the food in the MDR is inedible, and the bedding is cheap, and the shows are all flashy..." and on and on and on. (I guess there really are millions of people who actually survive on casseroles after all).

We have signed up for a TA on Riviera and we EXPECT to meet a lot of very nice folks. Maybe we are stupid but I doubt it.

Interesting OP.

Here in NYC I see tons of young people walking like zombies with their faces directed towards their phones. They don't seem to look up, smile at others, or look at the incredible architecture in this city. At restaurants they barely speak to one another because apparently their texts are far more important than the living beings they are sitting with.

On the other hand, I see plenty of older people who talk, gesture, and engage in life.

I guess there the biologically older people who are young in spirit and the chronologically young ones who are ready for the grave.

My experience on Oceania is that there are more older people with outgoing, spirited personalities.