New to Celebrity - Frugal Diamond RC Cruisers Trying Reflection

Crism

Hello to everyone here on the Celebrity boards. We're 2 Diamond RC cruisers who are heading out in about a month on the Reflection. We've got a few questions about how things work since we will be Elite.

1. We love the Diamond lounge and cocktail hours on RC. What will this be on Celebrity? I've heard there is a lot of red tape with not having an event on embarkation day, Captains night, etc. What's the deal? Where is this held?

2. We strictly adhere to eating at only complimentary restaurants. I know there's the usual buffet, aka Windjammer of Celebrity as we call it, and the main dining room. Are there any other locations we should know about? I think there may be a lunch spot outside on deck with burgers/fries/etc.

3. Is access to the Lawn and other places included? I know this "Lawn Club Grill" is extra so we aren't interested in that.

Any other tips and tricks for the frugal folks traveling on Celebrity? Our days are mostly spent waking up late, hitting the pool side or upper deck for some sun, and relaxing after dinner at some of the events.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome! I think you will enjoy your cruise. Every Celebrity ship has a fancy coffee shop called Cafe al Bacio. Although the coffees and teas cost extra, most of the premium pastries and sweets are included in the cost of your cruise. Yummy!

20160209-IMG_7876.JPG

Celebrity doesn't have a dedicated lounge like the Diamond Lounge. The Elite Cocktail hour is from 5-7 and on the Reflection it will held in the Sky Lounge. You are correct on cocktail hour on embarkation day or the night of the Senior Officer event.

Their is a Elite breakfast each morning, similar to Royal's for Diamond. Most likely will be in Tuscan Grill.

With your Diamond status granting you Elite benefits you will also get 90 minutes of free WiFi (per person) and 2 bags of wash & fold laundry. There are some other discounts & events available to you. You will recieve a letter in your cabin with dates, times & locations.

As for included eating spots, they are the MDR, Mast Grill for burgers, hot dogs & fries, the Aqua Spa Cafe -breakfast & lunch and the pastries & desserts at Cafe al Bacio are included.

Access to the lawn is open to all.

Enjoy

Welcome! I think you will enjoy your cruise. Every Celebrity ship has a fancy coffee shop called Cafe al Bacio. Although the coffees and teas cost extra, most of the premium pastries and sweets are included in the cost of your cruise. Yummy!

20160209-IMG_7876.JPG

Oh noooooo. This is going to blow the diet...

I am Diamond on RCCL and went on my first X cruise last year. I have another one coming up in December.

X does not have the Diamond Lounge or drink coupons like RCCL, but I found I liked the wine at the Elite happy hour much better than the wine included in the Diamond benefits. Also the drink prices overall were much cheaper that RCCL.

All in all, I would cruise X again in a heartbeat (which is good since I am...).

20160209-IMG_7876.JPG

Mmm mini Lemon tarts! September cannot come soon enough for me to have them again!

Mast Grill on Deck 15 (right near the pool) is free -- hamburgers and that sort of thing. Oceanview Cafe is the name of the buffet restaurant. I think you are also entitled to a free scoop of gelato in Cafe al Baccio. It's SOOOO good, don't miss it.

We are D+ and E+...

We prefer the Elite cocktail events on Celebrity to the RC ones....they just seem a little less 'busy, busy'. On recent Celebrity cruises there seem to be more guests having drinks packages as a 'perk' which has, I think, taken some of the pressure off the Elite event. We are recently off Oasis and the Diamond lounge was heaving and the hostess so busy she had queues at the desk....

I think you will find the food generally on Celebrity better than on RC. As others have said there are a range on venues to get free food from but there are also frequent offers on the Specialities so keep a look out. The Specialities on Celebrity are, in my opinion, much nicer venues, quieter and much better food, if you can get a large discount you may be temped to give one a try.

Remember you can take on board 2 bottles of wine but on Celebrity they do charge a corkage fee unlike RC (simple solution open your bottle in your room and take a glass down to the MDR).

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

You each get a set of Elite coupons. Unlike RCCL they are not pre-loaded on your SeaPass card. You can get a free scoop of gelato at the area near Cafe al Baccio with your coupons for example. The Elite cocktail hour offers decent free drinks but the appetizers are served to you by the waiters walking around and are stingy compared to RCCL Diamond Lounge where they are set up buffet style. Overall you will really enjoy Reflection and Celebrity food and service.

Just stating the obvious, don't want to assume, you do know you have to get a Celebrity Captains Club number prior to sailing to get any of these benefits...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You each get a set of Elite coupons. Unlike RCCL they are not pre-loaded on your SeaPass card. You can get a free scoop of gelato at the area near Cafe al Baccio with your coupons for example. The Elite cocktail hour offers decent free drinks but the appetizers are served to you by the waiters walking around and are stingy compared to RCCL Diamond Lounge where they are set up buffet style. Overall you will really enjoy Reflection and Celebrity food and service.

Celebrity is in the process of switching things over to being on the card so not sure what you'll get. Also, there is a menu of drinks at the cocktail hour, other drinks will not be free unless on a beverage package.

I will be Elite on Celebrity Solstice but my traveling companion won't. I thought I read that they can go into the Elite lounge if in same stateroom. Royal doesn't let that happen, so I am double checking here. Thanks.

I have a friend who is Diamond on RCCL. She was traveling with a recent "companion" and told Royal she needed him to be Diamond or she would cancel. He became an instant Diamond member.

Also a frugal RC Diamond cruiser trying Celebrity for the first time. We will be on Equinox in Sept. I am wondering what the hours are for the cocktail reception. Also, what are the specialty restaurants and what are the extra costs for these. On boarding day do these offer special prices on night one, like on RC ships? We are so used to the routine on RC, are there any special entertainment areas we should be aware of? Thanks a lot

On Reflection no more coupons. They are preloaded on the Sea Pass card.

Celebrity is in the process of switching things over to being on the card so not sure what you'll get. Also, there is a menu of drinks at the cocktail hour, other drinks will not be free unless on a beverage package.

Reflection has switched. Coupons were on the card in December.

You can get complimentary OJ, capp, latte at the elite breakfast as well as the drinks previously posted. Also breakfast and lunch are complimentary at the Aqua Spe cafe ( most items) which is located at the solarium pool.

Oops. Also,forgot there is afternoon tea at the ocean view cafe at 4:00- scones, little sand witches, etc. Also the ice cream at the ocean view ( several different flavors daily) is also no charge and excellent.