Drinks Package - what is and what isn't included?

BigJH

We are sailing on Crown Princess out of Southampton in May going to Scandinavia. I am considering purchasing the drinks package at circa £49pp - but unlike Celebrity who provide a list of what drinks are included, Princess seem a bit vague, stating drinks up to $10. What isn't explained is whether tax is included or not or if a drink is $10 before tax and the tax takes it above that does it them become excluded?

Also if a drink is above $10 - do you pay the difference.

Also does anyone have an up to date drinks menu so that I can see what I might be allowed.

The premium package with Celebrity seems more generous allowing more expensive drinks (up to $15 cocktails etc) but of course drinks may be more expensive?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am interested in knowing this as well. Especially about paying the difference.

Are bartenders very strict?

I have the free beverage package on upcoming Majestic.

On NCL it is up to $15 and my double drinks came to 22 somehow and they went thru. But my husband wasn't drinking and he had package so maybe they wrung up as 2 orders.

Thanks

Kerri

We are sailing on Crown Princess out of Southampton in May going to Scandinavia. I am considering purchasing the drinks package at circa £49pp - but unlike Celebrity who provide a list of what drinks are included, Princess seem a bit vague, stating drinks up to $10. All drinks up to $10, very few drinks are over $10.What isn't explained is whether tax is included or not or if a drink is $10 before tax and the tax takes it above that does it them become excluded?No taxes charged unless you're in port and the port requires that taxes be paid.

Also if a drink is above $10 - do you pay the difference.You don't pay the difference, you pay the full amount.

Also does anyone have an up to date drinks menu so that I can see what I might be allowed.

The premium package with Celebrity seems more generous allowing more expensive drinks (up to $15 cocktails etc) but of course drinks may be more expensive?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Forums

See above

In addition to JF's reply, there are several threads on the topic - if you search for AIBP.

You might find this one particularly helpful as it pretty much lists all the drinks and has been recently updated.

Princess Beverage Package Evaluator

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In addition to JF's reply, there are several threads on the topic - if you search for AIBP.

You might find this one particularly helpful as it pretty much lists all the drinks and has been recently updated.

Princess Beverage Package Evaluator

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That thread started in 2014. Go to the last page, post 670, or to the thread listed below for the current spreadsheet completed by cruisincdns.

See this recent thread that includes a spreadsheet of current drink prices: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2456349

This thread is from last month so it should be as about up to date as you can get!

There are a few ships (Emerald for instance) where one can get the new Whiskey Bar selections. Many of those items aren't included but...

For the most part pretty much everything is included. While there may have been some minor changes, using the beverage package calculator spreadsheet the only items that were over the limit for the AIBP are:

• Chivas Royal Salute - $12.50
  • Remy Martin XO - $12.00
  • Mirabelle, Brut Rose - $11.00
  • Nicholas Feuillatte, Brut - $13.00
  • Veuve Clicquot, Brut - $17.00
  • Nebbiolo Valmaggiore, Bruno Giacosa - $12.00
  • Cabernet Sauvignon, Sanctuary - $13.00

I like my 12 year old single malt scotch. Not a problem. As suggested by others above, check out the spreadsheet or the other threads here on CC. Almost everything drinkable onboard is included in the package.

What isn't explained is whether tax is included or not or if a drink is $10 before tax and the tax takes it above that does it them become excluded?No taxes charged unless you're in port and the port requires that taxes be paid.

Not in Europe. If you pre purchased the package then you are not charged any tax at all anywhere for any drinks you get on that package. The exception is Spain where if you purchased the package on board while in Spanish Waters, or docked at a Spanish port you would pay whatever rate the Spanish tax charge is- but that does not apply to the OP.

OP - The package goes on the menu price without any gratuities or tax charged. So if you see a drink at $10 on the menu then it is included. If it is a menu price of $11 then you are charged $11 to your on board account.

What isn't explained is whether tax is included or not or if a drink is $10 before tax and the tax takes it above that does it them become excluded?No taxes charged unless you're in port and the port requires that taxes be paid.

Not in Europe. If you pre purchased the package then you are not charged any tax at all anywhere for any drinks you get on that package. The exception is Spain where if you purchased the package on board while in Spanish Waters, or docked at a Spanish port you would pay whatever rate the Spanish tax charge is- but that does not apply to the OP.

OP - The package goes on the menu price without any gratuities or tax charged. So if you see a drink at $10 on the menu then it is included. If it is a menu price of $11 then you are charged $11 to your on board account.

Dave (we met on cruise to Canary Islands last year - Andy - we did Maderia tour together) - we are doing Med cruise starting in Barcelona in May. We (like you) do the drink package - do we pay extra if we buy in port in Spain? If we "prepay" it - does that avoid it?

Dave (we met on cruise to Canary Islands last year - Andy - we did Maderia tour together) - we are doing Med cruise starting in Barcelona in May. We (like you) do the drink package - do we pay extra if we buy in port in Spain? If we "prepay" it - does that avoid it?

We did indeed Andy, great to 'hear' from you.

Yes, if you buy on board when you embark in Barca you will pay extra, if you prepay in the UK then you avoid the extra charge.

We did indeed Andy, great to 'hear' from you.

Yes, if you buy on board when you embark in Barca you will pay extra, if you prepay in the UK then you avoid the extra charge.

Well that is a decision made - thanks for the heads up. Hopefully bump into you in Vines sometime soon!!

Cheers

Generous is hardly the word for Celebrity's game of giving you the "free" (sic) Classic package with a $10 price ceiling as a perk but having so many drinks priced over $10 that you are all but compelled to pay the cost of upgrading to the Premium package. Extortion is my word for it (and yes I have been taken to task by the Celebrity cheerleaders for using such and "offensive" term--but it is what it is).

You can see from the other responses that Princess does no such thing with just a tiny few offerings over $10.

Generous is hardly the word for Celebrity's game of giving you the "free" (sic) Classic package with a $10 price ceiling as a perk but having so many drinks priced over $10 that you are all but compelled to pay the cost of upgrading to the Premium package. Extortion is my word for it (and yes I have been taken to task by the Celebrity cheerleaders for using such and "offensive" term--but it is what it is).

You can see from the other responses that Princess does no such thing with just a tiny few offerings over $10.

Must take exception to the comments above. First of all X has been the most aggressive cruise line promoting a 'free' drink package and in my opinion have been a large force in making other lines adopt this.

It is almost always available unlike HAL and Princess which seem to be very restrictive with these promotions (we just booked our first Princess cruise in over four years because the beverage package was 'finally' offered). The X package includes water and specialty coffees. The upgrade is not that expensive and of course is your choice. If you do upgrade higher priced drinks (over 12 I believe) cost only the difference between the upper limit of the package and cost of drink which adds more flexibility. So frankly I find it hard to find fault with this program.

Now NCL has the 'rip off special' IMHO. No water, you pay separately for the 18% tip on the 'free' package which has some inflated price (79 a day I believe) that you are paying a tip on. We had cruised NCL a fair amountpreviously and had booked the Getaway but when I got wind of all of these shenanigans we canceled.

I am interested in knowing this as well. Especially about paying the difference.

Are bartenders very strict?

I have the free beverage package on upcoming Majestic.

On NCL it is up to $15 and my double drinks came to 22 somehow and they went thru. But my husband wasn't drinking and he had package so maybe they wrung up as 2 orders.

Thanks

Kerri

They will not serve you orders more than $10 if you are not willing to pay the full amount.

They will not serve you orders more than $10 if you are not willing to pay the full amount.

I agree. You cannot order a drink that is more than $10 without paying the full amount.

You do have an option however if a double is more than $10. Order a single and then order a separate shot. Mix them together yourself. Or the bartender may even do it for you. As long as he rings up the single (under $10) and the shot (under $10) as separate drinks, they are definitely covered under the AIBP.

Must take exception to the comments above. First of all X has been the most aggressive cruise line promoting a 'free' drink package and in my opinion have been a large force in making other lines adopt this.

The Celebrity cruise pricing really includes the price of that "free" package in the cost of the cruise.

Compare the price per day for a cruise that includes the package and for a cruise that does not. There is a big difference.

What Celebrity has done is a masterful piece of marketing. For example you can add two amenities to their "better" package to get their "best" package. On one itinerary I have looked at you can pay $540 more for two amenities worth $312. Celebrity passengers love having the option of going from "better" to "best" and paying $228 more than the additional amenities are worth.

With the AIBP, can you order two drinks at one time? (ie.... a shot and a beer, or 2 shots, or???)

Technically, no. What the guidelines are as far as minimum time between drink orders is probably up to your bartender.

They will likely accommodation you after a bit. I will order single malt scotch neat. Then I will order it again and pour the two drinks into one glass. I figure after a bit they will not want the hassle of pouring me two separate drinks when they could be dealing with another passenger and will simply accommodate me by pouring the double. If not... I am on a cruise. I think I will just have to "suffer". :cool:

Can anyone tell me if the soda in the Soda and More is only fountain or is it canned? It looks like bottled water is not included in that package, is that correct? Also, I see I can buy bottled water through the Cruise Personalizer and have it delivered to the cabin. It also says I can ONLY do it through the Personalizer. Is that true? I can't buy a case or half case of water on board and have it delivered to the cabin? Thanks for your help.