Room Service Charge

GranysT

I hope Carnival has someone reading the RC Boards. There have been a ton of posts, and hardly anyone agrees with this charge. I think not charging for standard room service this gives Carnival a clear advantage when people are planning a cruise.

Consumers rarely agree with price increases.

Regardless, over the weekend I compared the basic Carnival room service menu the that of Risk Caribbean and Holland America. They're not all that comparable. Carnival's is a very thin menu.

Now having said that, perhaps Carnival would introduce a new, greatly expanded room service menu, with a charge. I wouldn't like it, but I could understand them doing that.

Consumers rarely agree with price increases.

Regardless, over the weekend I compared the basic Carnival room service menu the that of Risk Caribbean and Holland America. They're not all that comparable. Carnival's is a very thin menu.

Now having said that, perhaps Carnival would introduce a new, greatly expanded room service menu, with a charge. I wouldn't like it, but I could understand them doing that.

Correct bUU I've been looking at Carnival's, huge difference.

It didn't bother me when Carnival added for charge items to their room service menu.

It did bother me that they simultaneously deleted items that were previously included, specifically lox/cream cheese/bagels and the really good shrimp salad.

Of course we must not refer to such things as cutbacks. We must refer to them as adding more options.

The Carnival experience changes every year. It's still a good value for me but they have steadily been moving toward the tipping point. I suspect this is the case with all moderately priced lines.

... With all moderately priced vacation options.

We are returning to cruising after eight years because prices had gone up so much, and what is included for that money has declined so much, at our preferred LAND-based vacation destinations.

We are returning to cruising after eight years because prices had gone up so much, and what is included for that money has declined so much, at our preferred LAND-based vacation destinations.

That's interesting. I never considered a land based vacation, other than visiting my beloved sisters. It's the sea, the ocean, the vast nothing but water that has always attracted me to cruising.

I think the "it doesn't bother me" and the "food is food" attitudes are missing the point of a vacation worth paying for.

That's interesting. I never considered a land based vacation, other than visiting my beloved sisters. It's the sea, the ocean, the vast nothing but water that has always attracted me to cruising.

I think the "it doesn't bother me" and the "food is food" attitudes are missing the point of a vacation worth paying for.

I cannot agree. As much as I like food, there is far more to life. A friend's son is spending a lot of money on a rather long vacation... Hiking the Appalachian Trail. I assure you the food won't be great.

It didn't bother me when Carnival added for charge items to their room service menu.

It did bother me that they simultaneously deleted items that were previously included, specifically lox/cream cheese/bagels and the really good shrimp salad.

Of course we must not refer to such things as cutbacks. We must refer to them as adding more options.

The Carnival experience changes every year. It's still a good value for me but they have steadily been moving toward the tipping point. I suspect this is the case with all moderately priced lines.

It did bother me when the lox was taken away. Supposedly people have had success writing it in to the breakfast order.

If RCCL gets away with charging for room service CCL will not be far behind.

I cannot agree. As much as I like food, there is far more to life. A friend's son is spending a lot of money on a rather long vacation... Hiking the Appalachian Trail. I assure you the food won't be great.

That's for sure! My older sister actually paid for a week to volunteer landscaping at the Grand Canyon. I thought she was crazy. She thought I was crazy for not joining her.

We still love each other.

It did bother me when the lox was taken away. Supposedly people have had success writing it in to the breakfast order.

If RCCL gets away with charging for room service CCL will not be far behind.

That's semi-good news. Semi because I would hate to see her disappointed if it didn't happen.

I make it a practice not to promise something I can't or won't deliver. It seems to be too much to expect businesses to do the same.

They got rid of the Lox? I am so disappointed. Room service breakfast, esp. the lox, bagel and cream cheese was my go to on port days to avoid lido deck lines and get off the ship early. Hoping they will bring it back before my cruise in august

I think eventually all the mainstream lines will charge for room service. First NCL and now, RCCL. It's only a matter of time.

We rarely order room service, It's just easier for us to go grab something somewhere depending on which ship we're on.

We would never pay extra for it as we're not the type of people to eat late in the evening and I just run to the lido deck in the morning for coffee and whatever, so they can charge whatever they like. For us, it's a non issue.

They got rid of the Lox? I am so disappointed. Room service breakfast, esp. the lox, bagel and cream cheese was my go to on port days to avoid lido deck lines and get off the ship early. Hoping they will bring it back before my cruise in august

Nobody on this thread ever said they got rid of lox. You can get it in the Deli. You can get it on Sea Brunch Days, and my little secret, write in Lox, bagels, and extra cream cheese on my room service breakfast menu. We got it every morning with coffee, juice and fresh fruit, of course we tip a few bucks in cash

What makes this new charge especially distressing on Royal is that RCI has relatively few late-night options for food. They were already surcharging a late-night delivery fee; now they've raised the stakes even more.

One thing I really love about Carnival is the number and variety of dining options, including late-night...and including late-night room service without a surcharge. If they implement a flat-rate RS charge, at least we'll have some other decent options.... Pizza Pirate, Deli until 11pm, Pizza Pirate Plus between 11 pm and 1 am, etc.

IF they ever start charging, they should take a lesson from Royal's bungling and make it a smaller charge ($3 or $4), with more advance warning (at least longer than final payment window), and clearly updated info on their website (Royal failed badly there).

First I'll say that I didn't even see a room service menu on Fascination except for the door hanger for morning breakfast items and I barely glanced at that. Second, CCL might follow NCL and RCI in charging for room service, but they did institute a menu that does have free items and surcharge items so that might be the model that they stick with, which to me represents the best of both worlds.

That was our attraction TOWARD cruising 30+ years ago. Pay one price, and you never had to concern yourself for the entire week with buying anything but a short list of things that were not included, as they called, "things of a personal nature".

That short list has become an extremely long list, all while service, entertainment, and even food quality has suffered. The cruise lines count on the people from District 12 that can't add their fare, sail and sign, tips, tax, service charges, and other incrementals together, that all add up to vacation prices that certainly are not what they would consider "low".

So, we have returned to our land vacations, even returning to places in the mountains that were and still are all inclusive.

I would almost bet a months paycheck its coming to Carnival. ALL of these mass market lines just seem to follow the others lead.

I hope not though. I like Carnivals room service menu as it is now and the pay for items are rather cheap and really good.

That was our attraction TOWARD cruising 30+ years ago. Pay one price, and you never had to concern yourself for the entire week with buying anything but a short list of things that were not included, as they called, "things of a personal nature".

That short list has become an extremely long list, all while service, entertainment, and even food quality has suffered. The cruise lines count on the people from District 12 that can't add their fare, sail and sign, tips, tax, service charges, and other incrementals together, that all add up to vacation prices that certainly are not what they would consider "low".

So, we have returned to our land vacations, even returning to places in the mountains that were and still are all inclusive.

There are still cruise lines that offer a more all inclusive experience but they are pricey. I personally like the a la carte model where I'm only paying for those things that I want.