Why isn't Princess doing a better job with ship upkeep.

MISTER 67

We have sailed with Princess 19 times and 51 overall.

We've been noticing especially on the Caribbean Princess very poor upkeep on the ship. Worn out carpets and furniture, lots of rust, deck chairs badly soiled.

We are thinking of a Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess or Island Princess later this year but have read reviews and they are horrible on both ships as far a upkeep and cleanliness and we might sail with Holland America instead.

I realize both ships are not brand new but Princess needs to step it up on upkeep on their ships.

For comparison sake, we sailed on the RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas last month, she is over 20 years old and we thought we were on a fairly new ship. She was spotless and very well maintained.

I was just on the Island Princess and it was in great condition, with continuous upkeep going on all the time. I am sure if I would have looked really hard I may have seen something, but never noticed any problems with carpet or furnishings. Deck furniture was good and there was always workers cleaning up rust.

Here's are recent CC threads about the Caribbean's March 26 to April 6 refurbishment in the Bahamas.

Princess Cruises Announces Multi-Million Dollar Caribbean Princess Renovation

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2472087&highlight=caribbean

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2472119

We've been noticing especially on the Caribbean Princess very poor upkeep on the ship. Worn out carpets and furniture, lots of rust, deck chairs badly soiled.

We are thinking of a Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess or Island Princess later this year but have read reviews and they are horrible on both ships as far a upkeep and cleanliness and we might sail with Holland America instead.

I realize both ships are not brand new but Princess needs to step it up on upkeep on their ships.

For comparison sake, we sailed on the RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas last month, she is over 20 years old and we thought we were on a fairly new ship. She was spotless and very well maintained.

I always say do whatever you think is best. Have a great cruise on what ever cruise line you decide on.

Tony

We were on the Coral last April and we would be hard pressed to say that there was much that was not in good shape. That said, they were replacing some water pipes in the hall ceiling on the Baja deck on the forward end of the ship that apparently didn't get done when it was in dry dock. Overall everything else was in "ship-shape".

I kind of have to wonder which reviews you read that were "horrible". If you seriously have doubts you may well want to go with another line. After all, it's your vacation and your money so you should go with a line and a ship you feel will be the best fit. Enjoy your cruise on whatever ship you book whether with Princess or another line.

I was on the Coral in February. A woman sitting next to me in one of the bars was complaining about the amount of rust on the ship. She said she thought next time they would book a 'newer' ship. She wanted everything to be shiny and new.

Funny....I never even noticed the rust.

If you go looking for things to be wrong, you will find them. I think Princess works very hard to do maintenance on their ships, but they are well used.

I guess it's about what will impact the pleasure of your cruise. I told the woman, I preferred the Coral as it had a walk-around Promenade deck, which is what we make good use of and will continue to sail the 'older' ships that have this feature. That is far more important to me than whether or not there are rust spots.

But...each to their own priorities.

We've sailed quite a bit on Princess as well ... nowhere near 51 times, but over 20 times. We love cruising and it makes the experience even better whenever we can sail out of our home port of San Francisco ... but in the last couple and next couple of years, that means we get to sail on the Grand.

Well, the staff was phenomenal and this was before Princess scheduled their latest refurb of this ship but I know what you mean. The ship was poorly maintained 2 years ago and seemed to actually be in better shape but we still experienced some areas that were poorly maintained this past summer.

A month after that last cruise on the Grand, we sailed on the Explorer of the Seas....which was only 2 years older than the Grand, which seemed more like she was 20 years older than the EOS. This ship was immaculate and the prettiest ship on which we've sailed. There were many aspects of Princess cruises that we thought were much better than what we found on RCL, but the ship itself was not one of them.

I know others might disagree with me but this was my experience ... and I give credit where due but also give criticism where it is due.

BTW, booked on the Grand again now she has been through her refurb last fall. I hope they have given her some TCL since that seems to be the ship we have here in SF for another year or two.

I have 40 cruises with Princess, and 50 overall. I have the majority of my cruises with Princess for a reason. That being said, DW and I did a cruise to get out of the cold on the CB last December and noticed that there was a significant lack of upkeep.

We observed significant neglect in the cabin and it's bathroom, the Spa Treatment Room, the Spa Locker Rooms & Bathrooms (all truly deplorable and should have been taken out of service), as well as some of the public areas.

I know that the CB is/was scheduled for a Refurb (or hopefully 2) in 2017, but this was far worse than other ships that we have experienced awaiting refurbs / drydock.

I even, as a first, went to Passenger Services on Embarkation Day to request a change of cabin. There were none available. Had this been a hotel, we honestly would have walked out.

In a similar comparison to yours, we did a cruise on X in May, 2016. That was on the Constellation, which is about, and if not, the same age as the CB. That ship sparkled, as it was impeccably maintained for it's age. Also, the Azamara ships (R-Class) are even older and much better maintained.

So, I, for one, agree. In the Routine Maintenance Department, Princess does need to step up their game.

I have always thought princess ships were in fine condition. Considering they sail 365 days a year in all types of weather and lives it's life in salt water. Are there a few rust spots? Sure. Am I appalled? Not hardly. If you want rust and a falling apart ship, sail the Fantasy class.

I have always thought princess ships were in fine condition. Considering they sail 365 days a year in all types of weather and lives it's life in salt water. Are there a few rust spots? Sure. Am I appalled? Not hardly. If you want rust and a falling apart ship, sail the Fantasy class.

I assume that all cruise ships work 365 in all types of weather. Just some are better maintained than others . . . depending upon the cruise line and their plans / priorities.

Princess has been our favorite and we are not complainers, at all. This ship at the time that we took it in 12/16 was an exception . . . and quite bad.

I hope Princess revives it. We don't care for the Royal Class, so this would be another loss for us.

Not defending Princess or denying the things that others have reported seeing on this thread, but, in well over 20 Princess cruises, I have never been on a cruise where the crew was not seen actively performing upkeep and maintenance tasks. From rolling on fresh paint on rusty spots on hulls while in port to refinishing the teak railings to replacing worn carpeting, etc,. etc. etc. ...... it's a never ending process.

I have 40 cruises with Princess, and 50 overall. I have the majority of my cruises with Princess for a reason. That being said, DW and I did a cruise to get out of the cold on the CB last December and noticed that there was a significant lack of upkeep.

We observed significant neglect in the cabin and it's bathroom, the Spa Treatment Room, the Spa Locker Rooms & Bathrooms (all truly deplorable and should have been taken out of service), as well as some of the public areas.

I know that the CB is/was scheduled for a Refurb (or hopefully 2) in 2017, but this was far worse than other ships that we have experienced awaiting refurbs / drydock.

I even, as a first, went to Passenger Services on Embarkation Day to request a change of cabin. There were none available. Had this been a hotel, we honestly would have walked out.

In a similar comparison to yours, we did a cruise on X in May, 2016. That was on the Constellation, which is about, and if not, the same age as the CB. That ship sparkled, as it was impeccably maintained for it's age. Also, the Azamara ships (R-Class) are even older and much better maintained.

So, I, for one, agree. In the Routine Maintenance Department, Princess does need to step up their game.

I have a cruise booked for March of 2018 on the Caribbean Princess and I have some concerns about the condition of the ship. My last cruise on this ship was in January of 2009 and I then thought it needed some sprucing up. It was scheduled to go into dry dock in May of 2014 to have some cabins added. I don’t know if any refurbishment happened. I’m concerned that the review I’m quoting is only 2-1/2 years later and there are some very disturbing comments about the condition of the ship. I know that it is scheduled to go onto dry dock again in March of 2017 for “Routine”. It will be interesting to read about the ship after upcoming cruises.

Please don’t tell me to book somewhere else because of my concerns. The cruise I am booked on is only one of four that Princess is doing with “True 14 day Itineraries” in the Caribbean.

I kind of have to wonder which reviews you read that were "horrible". If you seriously have doubts you may well want to go with another line. After all, it's your vacation and your money so you should go with a line and a ship you feel will be the best fit. Enjoy your cruise on whatever ship you book whether with Princess or another line.

The reviews I read were in the Cruise Review section in Cruise Critic.

Feel free to check it out.