Question about adult only area

Shutterlady

I haved cruised on Carnival a lot and have enjoyed the Serenity deck. When my sister last cruised with Princess she told me that to be able to relax on the "adult deck area" there was a daily charge. I'm just trying to find out if this is in fact true. Carnival's serenity area is free.

There are two adult only areas on most ships. The Lotus spa or equivalent area is free and open to all. There is also a Sanctuary, which is for fee and offers additional services and amenities like reserved loungers and steward service.

I have cruised on Carnival a lot and have enjoyed the Serenity deck. When my sister last cruised with Princess she told me that to be able to relax on the "adult deck area" there was a daily charge. I'm just trying to find out if this is in fact true. Carnival's serenity area is free.

It depends on the ship - the Grand Class ships have an Adults Only pool aft at the Horizon Terrace. Also, forward below the Sanctuary (access through the Lotus Spa area).

Also, the ships that have a Skywalker's rarely have children (I've actually never seen kids in Skywalker's when I've been there).

There are two adult only areas on most ships. The Lotus spa or equivalent area is free and open to all. There is also a Sanctuary, which is for fee and offers additional services and amenities like reserved loungers and steward service.

We always were annoyed about the Sanctuary thing. Think about it, Princess helps create as much annoying noise throughout their ships (MUTS, PA annoucements, blasting music) and then essentially says to their customers, "if you want some peace and quiet you must pay extra....a lot extra!" Go figure. We think the Sanctuary should be free and everyone should have to pay to listen/watch MUTS :).

Hnak

• Like 1

I haved cruised on Carnival a lot and have enjoyed the Serenity deck. When my sister last cruised with Princess she told me that to be able to relax on the "adult deck area" there was a daily charge. I'm just trying to find out if this is in fact true. Carnival's serenity area is free.

The sanctuary has a charge.

My wife and I have never had any difficulty finding quiet and relaxing places on the ship and we have never paid for the Sanctuary. Many love it and swear by it but we don't really feel a need to use the Sanctuary.

Usually, the number of children on the cruises we've been on have been minimal. It is loud at the MUTS, but I like watching the movies, so I'm okay with that :) I never sit by the other pool, where the music and games are played. The last cruise I went to the adult only area pool by Lotus spa to read, and it was very quiet back there. I've never used the Sanctuary, but I don't think you will have trouble finding a quiet spot. We are going on the Grand next month from SF to Hawaii, and I will let you know how it is!

Don't rely on the adults only pool being occupied by adults only. Princess don't seem to police it at all. If they do police it they obviously don't want to upset the people who should not be using it because I have never seen them ask kids to leave.

I was looking at the Grand Princess

covered in the post below

It depends on the ship - the Grand Class ships have an Adults Only pool aft at the Horizon Terrace. Also, forward below the Sanctuary (access through the Lotus Spa area).

Also, the ships that have a Skywalker's rarely have children (I've actually never seen kids in Skywalker's when I've been there).

If you sale a Grand class ship when schools are out or at holiday times, you will find lots of kids on these ships.

Grand class ships with the covered pool are a great place to go. I like to grab a lounger on the deck above the pool and read there. It is always quiet and peaceful. Most of the pool action is at the more forward (mid ship) pool.

Don't rely on the adults only pool being occupied by adults only. Princess don't seem to police it at all. If they do police it they obviously don't want to upset the people who should not be using it because I have never seen them ask kids to leave.

In past years the kids were allowed in the adult areas if accompanied by an adult but this has changed to read "Adults only". Even since the change I have yet to see children in those areas on any Princess ship.

Grand Princess Adult areas

Terrace Pool, deck 14 aft

Spa Pool, deck 15 forward

Sanctuary, deck 15 forward, $20/half day, $40 full day, $30/day if booked for the entire cruise. Included your specific reserved lounger, plus some other things.

Other quiet areas:

Indoor Calypso Reef Pool

Club One Five during the day

Conservatory, deck 15 above the indoor pool

Leaves Tea Lounge and library

Any time children are not in school you will find many more children on board. There are also more children on cruises that are 7 days or shorter than the longer cruises.

DH taught at a community college before he retired last summer. We took a lot of cruises during his breaks--Christmas break, summer break, spring break. The only ship where we had trouble finding a quiet spot away from children was the Sun Princess.

We always were annoyed about the Sanctuary thing. Think about it, Princess helps create as much annoying noise throughout their ships (MUTS, PA annoucements, blasting music) and then essentially says to their customers, "if you want some peace and quiet you must pay extra....a lot extra!" Go figure. We think the Sanctuary should be free and everyone should have to pay to listen/watch MUTS :).

Hnak

With all due respect Hank, we must be cruising on two different Princess Cruise Lines. Other than MUTS, and we never sit there, I don't find Princess to be noisy at all. Minimal PA announcements and have never had to deal with blasting music, other than in Skywalker's at night (which is totally appropriate). My only other experience, NCL was much noisier.

We like MUTS. Although we have never sat through the Tuna Turner concert it doesn't bother us at all. We always find plenty of peace and quiet and have never been bothered by all of the "announcements" that other people seem to hear. We very rarely hear any type of announcement. The only "blaring" music we hear is in Skywalker's and we simply don't normally go there - mostly because of the blaring music. It's not like it's difficult to avoid going there. You really have to specifically want to go to Skywalker's in order to get there. (I've seen people wandering around wondering how to get there. ;p)

My take is that anybody who is bothered by the "excessive noise" on a Princess cruise should find another line. It will likely have to be a more upscale line as I really doubt that other mass market cruise lines will be quieter and it seems likely that they will mostly be more noisy than Princess.

The concept of a "free Sanctuary" and a "pay MUTS" is a bit bizarre to say the least.

Have you though this out properly? If people did NOT wish to listen/watch MUTS how could they do that?

Regards John

The concept of a "free Sanctuary" and a "pay MUTS" is a bit bizarre to say the least.

I believe that the comment by Hlitner was sarcasm, not a serious suggestion.

In past years the kids were allowed in the adult areas if accompanied by an adult but this has changed to read "Adults only". Even since the change I have yet to see children in those areas on any Princess ship.

I think there is a bit of a misconception about adult area pools. It is generally only the pool itself which is reserved for adults only. This keeps the swimming ambience free from rowdy behaviour to some extent, there are always elderly people giving it large on the cocktail of the day etc. Children are allowed in the area but a peaceful quiet atmosphere is needed and therefore parents need to be mindful of this.

Regards John

Hnak

Hi,you should have posted this today,everyones biting,cheers,Brian.

I think there is a bit of a misconception about adult area pools. It is generally only the pool itself which is reserved for adults only. This keeps the swimming ambience free from rowdy behaviour to some extent, there are always elderly people giving it large on the cocktail of the day etc. Children are allowed in the area but a peaceful quiet atmosphere is needed and therefore parents need to be mindful of this.

Regards John

It does keep the kids away from the area since there's really nothing to do except read, lay in the sun or play games on a phone or tablet. As long as I don't have to listen to them jumping in the pool & screaming my satisfied. That's what the main pool is reserved for - along with MUTS.:cool: