Issue with midday violent film on Adventure OTS 10-day

Hi all! We recently returned from the Adventure of the Seas 10-day itinerary. This was our fifth cruise on Royal, which is typically our preferred line when cruising with our kids. I'll post a brief trip report later this week, but did want to post about an issue we had on this cruise, and find out if anyone else has had this problem.

We were traveling with our two children, ages 5 and 7. As some of you may know, Adventure recently received Splashaway Bay, a water playground for children. This area is directly in front of the big movie screen at the main pool.

The day we were in Barbados, my husband and I did a short excursion alone and had the kids in Adventure Ocean until about 2pm. Afterwards, the kids were begging to go to the water park.

I had not consulted the Compass (didn't think I needed to as Royal Caribbean bills itself as a family cruise line), but apparently the 1:00pm movie was the remake of "The Magnificent Seven," which is rated PG-13. HOWEVER, this movie is exceptionally violent in parts, especially the final gunfight scene.

As we go outside around 2:30 (note this all happened very quickly), the sound system is blaring loud enough that I covered my ears. As I'm trying to take stock of what's going on, my 5-year old saw a character and horse get "killed" in the movie and immediately burst in to tears. Blood and bullets everywhere on screen. Correction: not just tears, we're talking choking sobs. Needless to say we shuffled them inside immediately and soothed our children.

It takes a lot to make me complain on vacation, but why the h*ll were they playing a violent movie directly in front of the kids water park during midday? The water park is only open from 12:30pm-5:30pm. We had to coax them to return to the pool area in the following days.

The best part? The evening movie (being played twice) that evening was The Angry Birds Movie. What genius decided to run the kids movie at night, and an adult movie during the day?

Anyway, I'm going to write RCI customer service directly, but wanted to make people aware that this occurred. At first I wondered if I was being overly sensitive, but we were on a family-friendly cruise line, and I don't feel as if I should have to check for acceptable content during the middle of the day in front of the kids' water park.

Edited by Island_Chica

AND right on time come the "Royal Caribbean can do no wrong" brigade.

First, understand that this movie was LOUD. We walked out just before the final scene was beginning. It was quiet dialogue (honestly, I was tending to my children and didn't even look up at the screen), and then all of the sudden it was so loud you couldn't even speak without yelling. There was no escaping the gunshots, horses whinnying as they collapsed, and sounds of people dying on screen. In fact, once I realized what movie was playing I noticed that NO children were playing on Splashaway Bay. And this was during the middle of the day, during one of the 5.5 hours the aquapark was open that day.

As I wrote in my correspondence to RCI: "Some might argue that if I'd merely consulted my cruise compass, I would have known about the movie, but that's missing the point. I shouldn't have to verify that a "family-friendly" cruise line is showing acceptable entertainment directly in front of an attraction built specifically for younger children during the precious few hours that attraction is open."

I presume many of you who say I'm over-reacting either don't have children, or don't have an issue with young children viewing gunshots, blood and gore. Bottom line: THIS WAS INAPPROPRIATE DAYTIME ENTERTAINMENT ON A "FAMILY-FRIENDLY" CRUISE LINE, which is how Royal spends millions marketing itself.

Splashaway Bay is geared specifically for the under-13 set, so what makes you think a violent movie is appropriate to show at 1pm directly in front of this attraction? And don't tell me that RCI just "assumed" it was fine because the rating was PG-13. They have discretion in what movies they select. I realize not all PG-13's are made equal; my problem isn't with the rating system, my problem is with RCI's decision to show a movie contain death and gore in front of the primary children's "pool" area during the main hours children use that area.

I guess I'm in the minority "maybe don't show violent movies during the day on the big screen" camp.

Given that its in an open, public place, and loud, I'd figure that they'd go for generic, inoffensive pap during the day (Princess played concerts from bands that peaked in the 70s) rather than something with booms and gore.

I understand.

We grew up in a house where they limited our television viewing, and violent shows were forbidden.

At that age, only G movies should be viewed.

All that said, in international waters, I'm not sure any of the cinema ratings apply.

Some of the garbage they show on prime time these days is violent and graphic.

AND right on time come the "Royal Caribbean can do no wrong" brigade.

That, right there, is a bit of an overreaction, in my opinion.

Personally, I don't see a problem with a PG13 movie being shown at 1:00 on a port day when most people aren't even on the ship.

I'm not unsympathetic to your complaint though. I just don't agree that it's such a big deal given the time it was shown.

That, right there, is a bit of an overreaction, in my opinion.

Personally, I don't see a problem with a PG13 movie being shown at 1:00 on a port day when most people aren't even on the ship.

I'm not unsympathetic to your complaint though. I just don't agree that it's such a big deal given the time it was shown.

I personally don't have a problem with the movie choice...but then we raised our kids to understand the difference between make believe and real life.

However, I will play devils advocate. Passengers with young children (especially more than a couple) might choose to spend most of the day on the ship while in port. That is probably more likely on a ship that has things designed to entertain the young passengers. I also understand that US movie ratings don't apply outside the US. But since RCI is based in the US you would think they would NOT show a movie that comes with rating that strongly cautions parents and indicates "some material may be inappropriate for children under 13".

In one of your posts the sound is so loud when you come out you have to cover your ears, in the other, you didn't even notice what was on the screen because it was quiet dialogue.:confused:

You aren't going to get anywhere if your story isn't consistent.

I do agree though, a PG-13 movie is not appropriate for daytime viewing near a kiddie pool.

We were on the March 4th sailing and I was a little surprised​ it was showing in the middle of the day. The remake pushes the limits on PG. I imagine they must have received other complaints as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It doesn't seem to me to be that hard of a concept that when you have a kids pool area with limited hours, you refrain from showing violent, loud or any inappropriate movies for that age set during those limited hours. PG-13 movies can and do sometimes include limited nudity. How many people are okay with taking their kids to the kids specific pool area to look up and see topless women on screen? It's the same issue. Some people are fine with certain things and others are not. RCI is supposed to cater to everyone. If the kid's area closed at say 2:30, then show the movie at 3. Port Day or not, it just doesn't make sense to me to show that movie at that time.

If no other kids were using Splashaway while the movie was on, may be that's why they air it during the day? A port day where the area is not in use much because everyone is off the ship.

When the kids all return, the movie choice is Angry Birds and warrants 2 showings because then more families are on ship to watch.

They could have thought it out more and picked a better movie to play by the splash zone. I am guessing they would not have done that on a Disney cruise but that is certainly more ankle biter focused : )

Not going to give you parenting advice...I have 4 of my own. I am sure everyone will get past this.

I would have been annoyed too. Why show a PG13 film in the middle of the day opposite a water park for under 13s, it makes no sense. They should have been showing a film appropriate for any age, if they wanted to show a film at all.

I'm not a big fan of the big screens anyway, but it seems like they are here to stay. I like the idea of showing concerts during the day, or maybe just a webcam view of the port. BUT...you're never going to please everyone.

OP here. Gently, I think some posters can't see the forest for the trees. Royal Caribbean markets itself as a FAMILY cruise line, fit for all ages. They spend tens of millions a year on advertising just this very feature, and in 2016 enhanced the facilities for young children on this specific ship, which is why we chose it over Jewel. THEY ARE MARKETING DIRECTLY TO FAMILIES WITH YOUNG CHILDREN. If this film was shown midday in the theater or adults-only area or at night I wouldn't be complaining, nor would I complain if this happened when we were on Celebrity or another line that caters primarily to adults. My issue is that a violent film was shown during midday directly in front of the kids-only section on a ship that is supposed to cater to families. Whether my child is 2, 5, 8 or 10 is irrelevant.

To address a few questions:

1. Violence in General/Sheltering: I live in a major city and I used to work as an assistant district attorney. I've attended autopsies and have examined (without flinching) crime scene and autopsy photos that would cause most people to retch. My problem is not with PG-13 or R movies or the world in general. I don't shelter my children, but I do make sure they are exposed to AGE-APPROPRIATE entertainment. My 5-year old is in Pre-Kindergarten. He still likes Paw Patrol and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. He plays Mario Kart, but not any shooter games or first person shooter games. They've watched a few PG-13 movies, but only after we have viewed them for overly-violent content. If you are permitting your newly 5-year old pre-K child to watch "The Magnificant Seven", or if you think this is appropriate content for a small child, we're not going to see eye-to-eye. Also, I don't give a flying fig what the rating is, or whether the rating applies in international waters or not. The RCI entertainment team has discretion regarding what they show, and someone failed to use it.

2. For anyone who feels my story is "inconsistent," this is why I detest the internet sometimes. To clarify: when we walked out, there was dialogue. It was loud, but I presume it was a conversation scene focused on dialogue. I don't know because I was talking to my kids and getting settled. I don't put all of these details in because frankly they are beside the point to this situation. We were on the side of Splashaway Bay when the fight scene erupted. It went from dialogue (which was noticeable, but not obnoxiously so) to LOUD gunfire/gore within seconds.

3. Lastly, I don't make customer complaints immediately after an event happens, unless it's about something dangerous/imminent (and honestly, I make precious few complaints). Cooler heads prevail and whatnot. My plan was to go to customer service the next day to address this issue. By the next morning, one of my children spiked a fever and I went to the infirmary instead for antibiotics. By the time he was ready to return to the pool (which took about 36 hours), a couple of days had passed and I decided to send a calm, rational email/letter once I arrived home, which I have done. For the remainder of the cruise, I checked the daily movie selections and there were no more violent daytime films, so I didn't have the need to address it again.