Amsterdam

mra9955

Hello. Looking for opinions and advice. In a few months we are flying to Amsterdam for a cruise. Myself, wife, and three kids all under the age of ten. We are flying nonstop from Dulles. Anyway, the KLM flight lands at 7:40am. We have the transfer booked with celebrity. Will we be able to go straight to ship? What to do if not, with three jet lagged kids and two exhausted parents? What are some tips and recommendations for this scenario. Thanks for your thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Drop your luggage at the port and make a cruise trough the canals of Amsterdam. They start also next to the cruise terminal and you can just sit and watch for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Drop your luggage at the port and make a cruise trough the canals of Amsterdam. They start also next to the cruise terminal and you can just sit and watch for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good advice.

We picked the canal boat up outside the railway station.

We had flown to Schipol airport, taken the train into the centre of Amsterdam, so I think it was approx 10am when the canal cruise started.

We then went for a coffee and walked to the ship, but we only had hand luggage with us. If you do that, take care of the many cyclists.

I also have to agree. Amsterdam is not to be missed! The first time I went to Amsterdam on a cruise, we went straight from the airport to the port, and vice versa when the cruise was over.

I regretted that decision for years! Make sure to experience the city - it is truly lovely! A canal sightseeing cruise is not to be missed! (and after a long flight, it's relaxing just sitting there watching the city go by you).

Also, great job booking KLM as your airline. I just flew with them for the first time about a month ago, and I can say that they are INFINITELY better than any North American airline.

Well, my first suggestion would be to arrive a few days early since there's is plenty to see and do in Amsterdam; but it may be too late for that.

Next is to ask whether the celebrity transfer will be running at 8am? Many hotel shuttles don't start running to the port until 9:30-10 since you can't board until 11.

If the shuttle will take you that early then go, try and drop your things off, and then head back out to explore Amsterdam. It's essential you stay up all day the first day anyway and walking is a great way to do that. The cruise port looks to be right next to the train station; the city center is easily walkable from there. Just explore, eat, take in the canals and architecture. Can do a canal tour or bike tour if you want to get off your feet for awhile.

Indeed, stay active, doing a canal tour or take a trip to see some of the windmills and sights out of Amsterdam.

Or, crash at the Movenpick hotel, prebook a room for day use (just book two nights if they don't do day rates) and relax with a view of the ship next to you!

Drop off your luggage and go eat some pancakes. Walk around with the kids and see some if the sights. If you keep busy, the jet lag will not be as bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pancakes are called Pofages - it's a sight to watch them being made

If you want, you can prepare for the jet lag a bit. Take some melatonin for a couple days pre-cruise and start to adjust your internal clocks. If possible, you can start to get on Europe time at least partially.

I've had pretty good success with flying eastbound to Europe on those overnight flights if, when I get on board the plane, I mentally do the math and figure out what time it is in the city I'm flying to. Usually it's 1 or 2 a.m. so I don't busy myself with electronics or anything. As soon as it's feasible I put myself in sleep mode. I ignore any food or drink or people settling in around me. It's easier if I've been adjusting my sleep the past few days. You might find it harder with kids, I have no experience taking my girls to Europe as children.

I also take an Ambien about an hour before the plane takes off. Miraculously, I'm able to sleep 4 or 5 hours if I get right into that sleep mode. That way I can arrive only SEMI tired, and muscle through the day. The worst thing you can do is sleep that first day, although it's tempting. A relaxing canal cruise sounds perfect to me. Hope your cruise is wonderful.

Someone else suggested it, arrive a day or three early but is that is not possible cancel the Celebrity transfer and book your own transfer to the pier. Going with Celebrity means sitting around and waiting for a bus to fill up and that is really just wanted time. We have used airportstaxitransfers.com and they are very good, very efficient. They will meet you at a designated spot just outside the doors you exit from. Have them take you directly to the port. It will likely be too early to board but you can drop off your bags and take the 10 minute walk to the Centraal Station where you can pick up any number of canal boat tours. We did the red, hop on hop off tour and just rode the entire circuit once to see where we wanted to get off an walk around. Even if you don't have time to get off and walk around, it is still a nice tour of Amsterdam. There are a lot of other options for canal boat tours and most of them do stop at the docks around the station. The sail away from Amsterdam in really nice too. Be sure to be out on deck to watch it for a while so you can enjoy it all.

Someone else suggested it, arrive a day or three early but is that is not possible cancel the Celebrity transfer and book your own transfer to the pier. Going with Celebrity means sitting around and waiting for a bus to fill up and that is really just wanted time. .

I haven't used a celebrity transfer before, but if that's the case I wouldn't even bother with it. The train station is under the airport - can take the train to central station and then either a short taxi ride or walk to port to drop off your bags.

With a family of 5 and luggage coming off of an overnight flight, I would spend the extra $$ and have transport waiting for me. The company I suggested is cheaper than a taxi and when to consider the time saving and the cost of train for 5 it just makes sense for me. Last September we paid something around $50 for pick up in the airport and delivery to the Doubletree Hotel just across from the Centraal Station. If the OP only has that morning why spend the extra time with walking to and from the train and from the train to the pier to drop bags and then back to the station area to pick up a tram or a canal boat? We never do cruise line transfers, just too much wasted time there too. My suggestion was to cancel the Celebrity transfer and go with car service.

Well, again, the train is in the airport and as accessible as a car service would be. So all the car service gains you is skipping the 10 minute walk to the port from the train station. To each their own; 6 to one, half a dozen to the other. Would just come down to the cost of each.

With a family of 5 and luggage coming off of an overnight flight, I would spend the extra $$ and have transport waiting for me. The company I suggested is cheaper than a taxi and when to consider the time saving and the cost of train for 5 it just makes sense for me. Last September we paid something around $50 for pick up in the airport and delivery to the Doubletree Hotel just across from the Centraal Station. If the OP only has that morning why spend the extra time with walking to and from the train and from the train to the pier to drop bags and then back to the station area to pick up a tram or a canal boat? We never do cruise line transfers, just too much wasted time there too. My suggestion was to cancel the Celebrity transfer and go with car service.

Well, again, the train is in the airport and as accessible as a car service would be. So all the car service gains you is skipping the 10 minute walk to the port from the train station. To each their own; 6 to one, half a dozen to the other. Would just come down to the cost of each.

With a car service (a regular taxi on appointment here in NL) taking it 25 minutes from outside the airport to the Doubletree and a train doing it in 15 + 10 minutes walking from platform to hotel it seems a draw for five regarding cost.

Some Amsterdam taxis are a real mess but so can be the train, it really would come down to personal preference I think.

With two pax the train wins hands down for me. :)

Some good suggestions however if you feel a need to rest, contact the Movenpick hotel located at the cruise terminal and see if they have a day rate. It would allow you to drop off your luggage for the ship and perhaps rest for a few hours before boarding.

Their e-mail address is hotel.amsterdam@movenpick.com

We've done the same flight (without kids) and managed to spend a few hours strolling around Amsterdam before we ran out of steam. By that time we were able to board the ship and rest before the Muster drill.

Pancakes are called Pofages - it's a sight to watch them being made

No, I meant these pancakes (these are from the pancake bakery, but Pancakes! Is awesome too) [emoji846]76aa18100e1de6cec8958db570ade7bd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another vote for doing a canal cruise and pancakes. Amsterdam is famous for their pancakes! They put almost anything in/on them. Try a ham and cheese one....sounds like a good brunch meal after a long flight and canal ride!!

By the time you land at 7:40....clear customs.....get luggage.......transfer to town......drop off at pier......get canal ride.....eat pancakes.......It will be time to board.

Have a great time. And as one poster said.....Watch out for the bikes!!!! You'll understand when you get there. Enjoy!!

So I have a question, we are getting in at 7:40 and we are coming in a few days early, but was thinking about booking the Anne Frank museum that first day, should we wait for early afternoon? Or try for earlier? Wasn't sure how much time to get thru customs and drop off luggage at hotel and get a snack

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

So I have a question, we are getting in at 7:40 and we are coming in a few days early, but was thinking about booking the Anne Frank museum that first day, should we wait for early afternoon? Or try for earlier? Wasn't sure how much time to get thru customs and drop off luggage at hotel and get a snack

Late morning/early afternoon should be more than enough time.

Make sure to book your Anne Frank house tickets well in advance!! I believe they start selling online two months in advance - and I highly recommend that you buy them exactly when they come out because it's not unusual for them to sell out the day they get released - there's huge demand (especially in the summer!), but only limited supply because of the limited capacity of the house.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

If you are there a few days I would wait until the second day. The first day you'll be so tired and jet lagged it'll be hard to focus on anything. Def get your tickets online in advance; prior to 3 pm all entrances are will pre-purchased tickets and after 3 pm it's open for the line that has built up all day.