Omg - toilets not working on jewel of the seas

The difference is that in domestic sewer lines, the line size increases from the 4" diameter at the bowl flange, to 6" diameter where the sewer line leaves the house, to the 24" sewer to a 5 foot main line. Shipboard vacuum toilet lines start out at 2" diameter (only slightly larger than the sink drain in your house), and are that diameter, until the line has connected to over 200 toilets, and then it increases to 3". This, and the fact that many shipboard toilets flush up to the deck above, leads to far more severe clogs in vacuum toilet lines than in gravity sewer systems on shore. Things I've personally roto-rooted out of ship's toilet lines are: underwear, swimsuits, wash cloths, hand towels, dinner napkins, bath towels, paper towels, diapers, toothbrushes, and even a disgruntled crew member's entire uniform.

I am surprised that size pipe can handle the stuff that is supposed to be in the toilet.

I am surprised that size pipe can handle the stuff that is supposed to be in the toilet.

Must be highly compressible.

I'm always impressed by the wide variety of subjects we learn about on Cruise Critic.

Wow...we've had issues with toilets not flushing for a couple of hours....don't know if there was some sort of "vacuum" problem with the lines...but eventually ,they worked.

Really doesn't matter WHAT your status is...a non-flushing toilet is NOT good!

Maybe you should slow your responses down and up your comprehension on your way to 100,000 posts. It was clear to me they were indicating that in many many cruises they hadn't seen anything of that scale before. But at least you got to up your post count.

Toilet (included.)

Functioning toilet (additional fee.) :D

Seriously though' date=' I appreciate the OP posting about this (and the replies.) I learned something about ship vacuum systems. :)[/quote']

Don't give them any ideas. Pay Toilet's... I remember 40 yrs ago lot of businesses including airports had pay Toilets. Cost was a dime, my Dad the cheapskate would make us kids crawl under the door...

Don't give them any ideas. Pay Toilet's... I remember 40 yrs ago lot of businesses including airports had pay Toilets. Cost was a dime, my Dad the cheapskate would make us kids crawl under the door...

Look at the bright side. Unlike the filthy washrooms by the Lido pool, those pay toilets were super clean with ample supply of toilet papers.

Plenty of pay toilets in Europe currently.

Hopefully, without offending too many sensibilities, I'll explain why the pipes are so small. Think of trying to pick up a pile of heavy nails or nuts with a shop vac. It won't do it. But if you could stick them together so that they fill the entire hose as one "plug" (like sucking a tennis ball up the vacuum hose), you can move quite a lot of weight. So, the "product" from the toilet bowl needs to remain in a solid "plug" to move down the pipe. One of the reasons there are multiple vacuum systems on a ship is that if the furthest toilet is more than about 150 meters from the vacuum pumps, the "plug" will tend to break down, and you need to install "booster" stations where the "plug" is rebuilt. Rather than do this, they place the vacuum pumps in various locations in the engine room, directly below the areas of the ship they serve, to keep the pipe run to a minimum.

I remember 40 yrs ago lot of businesses including airports had pay Toilets.

It's still like that in some places in Europe... it's about $1 to use the toilets at the local shopping mall here in Denmark and on my first trip to Germany I was chased out of the highway rest area by an angry German woman because I hadn't bought any Euros and didn't know I was supposed to pay to use the toilet :')

• 3 weeks later...

I think the is a big problem with toilets on Jewel.

The is a odd little video telling you what not to flush down the toilet playing in the cabin first day.

Does anyone really flush banana skins down the toilet?

I guess as the video told us not to do it the answer must be yes

I think the is a big problem with toilets on Jewel.

The is a odd little video telling you what not to flush down the toilet playing in the cabin first day.

Does anyone really flush banana skins down the toilet?

I guess as the video told us not to do it the answer must be yes

Banana skins would be the least of things I've had to root out of the toilet pipes, and this applies to all ships, not just the Jewel. Does anyone really flush underwear, hand towels, face cloths, dinner napkins, other items of clothing, bones and other left-over food items down the toilet? Yes. Does anyone really flush crack pipes, coke spoons, popsicle sticks, toothbrushes and even ammunition down the toilet? Yes.

Banana skins would be the least of things I've had to root out of the toilet pipes, and this applies to all ships, not just the Jewel. Does anyone really flush underwear, hand towels, face cloths, dinner napkins, other items of clothing, bones and other left-over food items down the toilet? Yes. Does anyone really flush crack pipes, coke spoons, popsicle sticks, toothbrushes and even ammunition down the toilet? Yes.

Thanks again for your helpful information i would never have believed people would put any of those items in the toilet unless it was malicious.

Too many nasty comment to the poster. He was using his D+ status to say he is a long time cruiser and this is a first toilet problem for him.

Having said that, why post it anyway. It will be fixed, and what are future or next weeks cruisers going to do, cancel.

I know form experience what toilet problems are LOL but never posted it here

Then the started installing jagged edges on them. I think the last pay toilet I saw in the US was at TF Green airport in Providence in the early 80s. I came in on a flight had had a lot of turbulence and they didn't let us up to go. Got off the plane quickly and went into the nearest men's room and saw pay toilets. I think the statute of limitations are up now, so I can admit to defeating the lock.

Then the started installing jagged edges on them. I think the last pay toilet I saw in the US was at TF Green airport in Providence in the early 80s. I came in on a flight had had a lot of turbulence and they didn't let us up to go. Got off the plane quickly and went into the nearest men's room and saw pay toilets. I think the statute of limitations are up now, so I can admit to defeating the lock.

I'm happy to report that no such contraptions any longer exist at the airport.:)

I'm happy to report that no such contraptions any longer exist at the airport.:)

Years ago in Spain they had an attendent sitting with tip bowl and toilet paper at entrance and you had to pay a small tip to enter as well as getting some toilet roll if needed.

Years ago in Spain they had an attendent sitting with tip bowl and toilet paper at entrance and you had to pay a small tip to enter as well as getting some toilet roll if needed.

London seems to have become much more thrifty about this issue. When I was last there I noticed a turnstile at the entrance to public bathrooms requiring the depositing of a coin (I forget the amount) to unlock the mechanism. There was a camera squarely pointed at the area to catch anyone entering with out paying.

Of course this was a major issue for me as I rarely have any British currency on me as I just use a credit card to pay or everything while I am there.

Happened to us on Eastern Med cruise a while ago. Forward port side of ship affected - toilets did not work for three days. Originally gave us $125 onboard credit, then as problem continued and protests mounted gave us 25% credit toward future cruise. Kind of like being back in scout camp - had to hike to a public bathroom aft of midship in the middle of the night.

London seems to have become much more thrifty about this issue. When I was last there I noticed a turnstile at the entrance to public bathrooms requiring the depositing of a coin (I forget the amount) to unlock the mechanism. There was a camera squarely pointed at the area to catch anyone entering with out paying.

Of course this was a major issue for me as I rarely have any British currency on me as I just use a credit card to pay or everything while I am there.

Had to get air in a tire this weekend. The cost was $1.50. No big deal, I needed it. However the machine also took credit card. I guess a lot of us don't have change either.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Had to get air in a tire this weekend. The cost was $1.50. No big deal, I needed it. However the machine also took credit card. I guess a lot of us don't have change either.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

You should have taken some of the air from outside (which is free) and put that in your tire. If you do this one thousand times, you'll save $1,500.00. Those buck fifties add up quickly. :evilsmile:

Just curious, how did you know it was a ship wide problem? If it started at 12:30am, I doubt they made an announcement. Were you out searching for a working toilet at 2am?

I was like :'):'):')