What is special about the Sanctuary?

ambelina

We will be on a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Ruby Princess in October for our 49th wedding anniversary. We have never booked the Sanctuary but thought we would try it for this special occasion. What are the costs for half day and/or full day? What makes it special? Any tips that we wouldn't think of?

Thank you

We will be on a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Ruby Princess in October for our 49th wedding anniversary. We have never booked the Sanctuary but thought we would try it for this special occasion. What are the costs for half day and/or full day? What makes it special? Any tips that we wouldn't think of?

Thank you

Unless it's changed recently...the charges are $20 & $40 pp/day with a discount if you book the full cruise. This includes the morning snacks and afternoon tea.

We've done it once and were underwhelmed. Many love it.

If your enjoyment is sitting around in a comfortable reserved lounge for hours, then try it. If your enjoyment is sitting on the pool's edge, hanging on the pool's side, frequent trips to the hot tub, or short periods of lounging, it may not be for you. The nearest pool is the Lotus Spa Pool outside the Sanctuary area and down a few steps. Cost is $30/day if booked for the entire cruise, both port and sea days, so $210/pp for the week. Cost for half days is $20. If booked for just the sea days that's just $60/pp. Arrive at the pier around 10:30/11am. Boarding begins around noon. Go directly to the sanctuary after boarding to make reservations, do not stop to eat or at your cabin. Spots may fill quickly.

It is too shady for me, when you are on the upper deck it can be a little cool in the shade while at sea. I tried it one of my cruises, and while it was nice I had to keep a blanket on me the entire time and we were sailing to Mexico. It was peaceful but not something I would book again.

It's sort of like being a member of one of those private airport lounges. Most people are content waiting for their flights whilst sitting in a chair by the gate. Other people will pay a fair amount of money to be removed from the sights, sounds and smells of the masses and obtain greater comfort, peace and snacks in a lounge. It is really hard for any one person to tell another person (especially an internet "acquaintance") which they would prefer. Also, since there are so many Interior cabins on a ship, many people use the strategy of paying as little as possible for their cabin and then using the Sanctuary as their "open space" while on board. Certainly a logical approach.

It's sort of like being a member of one of those private airport lounges. Most people are content waiting for their flights whilst sitting in a chair by the gate. Other people will pay a fair amount of money to be removed from the sights, sounds and smells of the masses and obtain greater comfort, peace and snacks in a lounge. It is really hard for any one person to tell another person (especially an internet "acquaintance") which they would prefer. Also, since there are so many Interior cabins on a ship, many people use the strategy of paying as little as possible for their cabin and then using the Sanctuary as their "open space" while on board. Certainly a logical approach.

This is a perfect description!!

Thank you for all your responses. We will probably try it for one afternoon or maybe two just to experience it but it sounds like it is not something we will do often.

That's how I felt about cruising. My wife finally got me to cruise but it was "just once". I already "knew" I hated everything about it. D'Oh! Be careful what you try "just once". You may get hooked. :cool:

Thank you

Its mediocre and a con-job. Save your money and go to a specialty restaurant instead or perhaps get the premium breakfast delivered to the cabin or ultimate balcony dining maybe. I would not waste your money on something dull for a special event.

Well. We are happy to be conned and fall into the interior Cabin/Sanctuary Strategy crowd. I get on board as early as possible and rush to Sanctuary to make reservations for sea day afternoons. It is my happy place. Reading, listening to my music, staring at the ocean, afternoon tea, contemplating life with food and drink whenever I choose. My husband reads and naps and snores. We get shady spots and never mind snuggling in blankets if it is chilly. We even had hail one afternoon off the coast of Argentina! It has often been empty--feels like the ship belongs to us! And you can just leave your stuff and go to Trivia or whatever without worrying. It is YOUR lounger.

It is a bit of a gamble because there are no refunds if the weather doesn't cooperate and/or they close it.

Tips? The attendants know the arc of the sun and the spots best protected from wind. So know what you want and ask their advice. AND, if you don't have headphones or music, their mixed track is great. And, the attendants are among the best on the ship. You will get to know them pretty well.

I cannot imagine a Princess cruise without Sanctuary. Chacon a son gout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We were just on the Caribbean Princess for 14 days and were curious, so we took a look. Underwhelming. Then when we found out the cost, $40pp/day, it definitely did not seem worth it, so we said no thank you. I was by there everyday as I went to-and-from the fitness center and noticed that there never ever was a soul in it. So it appears to be a big empty space that could have been used for something else, a big money-loser for Princess. Makes no sense to me.

I, personally, am a big fan of the sanctuary. Here's why...

1. NO KIDS

2. Shade - I burn easily and prefer to be in the shade most of the time

3. No loud music - I Ike to spend my sea days relaxing and reading a good book or two without all of the loud music they play by the pools.

4. The lounge chairs are like beds! Super comfy with thick mattresses.

5. It's not crowded. The lounge areas on deck are so crowded, I feel like a sardine.

6. You have a "base camp" for the day - you don't have to worry about losing your deck chair if you want to go do something else for an hour or so. (Since "reserving" regular deck chairs is rude and frowned upon.)

7. Did I mention NO KIDS?

A certain amount of peace and quiet is a high priority for me while I'm on vacation. The Santuary gives me that. But that's just me. Everyone is different. I don't plan on using it in Alaska in 2 weeks, but it was a blessing in the Caribbean.

Am I able to reserve Sea Days only at beginning of cruise? Or will I have to book the full week?

You can book full or half days for any day you wish at the beginning of the cruise. If it is not fully booked, you can check for availability and use on a day to day basis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nothing special really. Have looked into it several times and decided it was not worth the money. Will depend on the individual as to what they are looking for in a cruise.

I totally agree with you and it's just to quiet for me.

Tony

I, personally, am a big fan of the sanctuary. Here's why...

1. NO KIDS

2. Shade - I burn easily and prefer to be in the shade most of the time

3. No loud music - I Ike to spend my sea days relaxing and reading a good book or two without all of the loud music they play by the pools.

4. The lounge chairs are like beds! Super comfy with thick mattresses.

5. It's not crowded. The lounge areas on deck are so crowded, I feel like a sardine.

6. You have a "base camp" for the day - you don't have to worry about losing your deck chair if you want to go do something else for an hour or so. (Since "reserving" regular deck chairs is rude and frowned upon.)

7. Did I mention NO KIDS?

A certain amount of peace and quiet is a high priority for me while I'm on vacation. The Santuary gives me that. But that's just me. Everyone is different. I don't plan on using it in Alaska in 2 weeks, but it was a blessing in the Caribbean.

Have you ever been on a Princess ship that did not have kids on it? I have! it depends on where in the world you sail to as if the cruise involves a long flight there will be no kids. Also if you are cruising on Diamond Princess in Japan then the area will be free of charge because the passengers there will not pay for that kind of service to Diamond Princess just opens the gates and it becomes a free for all.