Never mind the high cost, what about the laptop ban?

jollyjones

There is a better way. Simply leave all your electronics at home :). When we started cruising (more then forty years ago) we had no electronics....and did quite fine :).

Yeah, but back then cameras weren't electronic. I don't mind traveling without my laptop nearly as much as I do my camera.

When Hank was traveling around with Fred Flintstone and Barney did they have air service yet? How much carry on did Terradycal Air allow? Had cameras even been invented?

I can go back to printed books, I'm retired and can get by without a laptop, but I'm sure the hell not putting my camera in checked baggage. The last time I was that stupid, Igor Tony final destination and surprise, camera gone! No way in hell am I putting my $1k camera in checked baggage to get ripped off! Hank may be to old to see the view finder so obviously doesn't care. We'll let him go to exotic locations without a camera, but for the rest of us, this new policy is not doable!

There is a better way. Simply leave all your electronics at home :). When we started cruising (more then forty years ago) we had no electronics....and did quite fine :). If you simply "must have" your electronics you will simply have to roll with the waves and follow the procedures that exist at the time.

Hank

Oh, puleeze ...

You're free to be a Luddite if you wish, but some of us prefer to live in the present. I'd be more willing to 'follow the procedures that exist at the time' if they were anything more than just security theatre. According to plenty of groups that know about these things (e.g. pilots among others) putting hundreds of lithium batteries out of sight in the hold may superficially increase 'security' but will definitely not increase safety.

I love those that like to say "security theatre" and demean TSA workers....but then ignore the total lack of hijackings, or bombs on US domestic or departing US international flights, since the TSA started, as opposed to flights in other countries that don't have our "security theatre".

TSA has never STOPPED a terrorist attack on air transportation, or the NYC Subway since they sometimes augment NYPD with bag checks.

TSA misses 95% of anything dangerous and that is over 90% in 10 years of self testing.

TSA gives weapons to terrorists with their Air Marshal Program leaving guns in plane lavatories.

The testing of new security enhancements, requiring you to remove all electronics bigger than a cell phone, food and paper products will just slow down the line. Can't find a bin now? Forget about when this goes 100%. The end result longer lines a great big soft target for attack. TSA won't have to worry about finding anything thing since the line itself is a great target.

TSA has never STOPPED a terrorist attack on air transportation, or the NYC Subway since they sometimes augment NYPD with bag checks.

TSA misses 95% of anything dangerous and that is over 90% in 10 years of self testing.

TSA gives weapons to terrorists with their Air Marshal Program leaving guns in plane lavatories.

The testing of new security enhancements, requiring you to remove all electronics bigger than a cell phone, food and paper products will just slow down the line. Can't find a bin now? Forget about when this goes 100%. The end result longer lines a great big soft target for attack. TSA won't have to worry about finding anything thing since the line itself is a great target.

Well...not that I'm a fan of TSA, but there also hasn't been an attempted terrorist attack on an airline flight that originated in the US, which is where the TSA operates, since the TSA was formed. The "shoe bomber" and "underwear bomber" attempts were carried out by terrorists who boarded their aircraft in Europe, not the USA. I don't recall a terrorist attack being attempted in the NY City subways either, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not disputing their test situation failures that have been well documented, but seemingly disingenuous snarky remarks that are have no foundation in fact don't exactly cast a shining light on those who make them.

I love those that like to say "security theatre" and demean TSA workers....but then ignore the total lack of hijackings, or bombs on US domestic or departing US international flights, since the TSA started, as opposed to flights in other countries that don't have our "security theatre".

The fact that it is "Security theater" has nothing to do with the TSA. In fact this ban has nothing to do with the TSA. It's Homeland Security. It's theater because it can be circumvented easily by anyone flying anywhere else in the world and then to the US

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I get it, but that leaves Canadian airports as a big hole in the US' planned airplane/airport security, and I don't know how long they'll not act to close that hole.

It does not. It means Canada to US flights have similar restrictions to domestic US flights.

This would actually make sense. Most Canada-US flights are operated by narrow body aircraft and have had security screening dome to similar standards.

It does not. It means Canada to US flights have similar restrictions to domestic US flights.

This would actually make sense. Most Canada-US flights are operated by narrow body aircraft and have had security screening dome to similar standards.

Yes.....and those standards are less than that of a flight coming from the Middle East. That's the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Still waiting for an explanation of if the whole thing is "security theatre", why there have been no hijackings or other terrorist acts on domestic US flights since the TSA started. There is definitely an effect...for example the 3 ounce rule. That would appear to restrict certain explosive possibilities. The bad guys feel there is a low chance they manage to get on board with bad intent and the tools to do something bad.

It is just easier to demean people who have a tough, low paying job.

Jumping a little fast to conclusions there.

I didn't mention TSA because I know perfectly well that it's Homeland Security, not TSA - in fact, I think the front line TSA staff do a fair job in tough circumstances. It's the policy makers who worry me.

Why is everyone ignoring the illogicality of currently requiring lithium batteries to be in the cabin (where fire can be found and dealt with), but they may soon be required to be in the hold out of sight - with this hugely increased number in the hold, there is a concomitant risk that one will be faulty. It's not an easy problem to deal with but it seems to me that just putting them all in the hold doesn't remove the explosive possibilities (timer? altitude switch?) but does increase the fire danger. Lithium fires do happen.

A recent article discussing the difficulties surrounding lithium batteries:

https://www.law360.com/articles/875029/lithium-batteries-in-flight-risks-and-regulations

Why is everyone ignoring the illogicality of currently requiring lithium batteries to be in the cabin (where fire can be found and dealt with), but they may soon be required to be in the hold out of sight - with this hugely increased number in the hold, there is a concomitant risk that one will be faulty.

Not everyone -- it's been commented on and probably understood by many. I think that most people think the plan is faulty and dangerous, even though it looks to the uninformed like it would be safer. More theatre.

Latest news is an announcement that there will be NO ban on electronics on flights to or from Europe, while maintaining the current ban into the USA from specific airports.

Gary Leff has the story HERE.

From Politico comes this:

The U.S. on Tuesday opted not to ban laptops from the cabins of planes flying to the U.S. from Europe, European sources told POLITICO, despite worries about terrorists plotting to hide explosives inside electronic devices.

Of course, this is always subject to change down the road.

Latest news is an announcement that there will be NO ban on electronics on flights to or from Europe, while maintaining the current ban into the USA from specific airports.

Gary Leff has the story HERE.

From Politico comes this:

The U.S. on Tuesday opted not to ban laptops from the cabins of planes flying to the U.S. from Europe, European sources told POLITICO, despite worries about terrorists plotting to hide explosives inside electronic devices.

Of course, this is always subject to change down the road.

The Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security has said the story is incorrect and that DHS is still actively considering the ban and discussing it with European officials.

The Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security has said the story is incorrect and that DHS is still actively considering the ban and discussing it with European officials.
Given his public posturing over the last few weeks, I'd say this latest statement is face-saving. The "considering" will fade away.

Just my two kopeks, but I'd be willing to wager more than that.

And then there are some of us who have repeatedly encountered complete idiots working for TSA. Not all of them, obviously, but more than plenty of them.

+1

It is not encouraging when you have to constantly point out to a smurf that the GE card is indeed a legitimate, approved form of ID for their checkpoint - I'll even point out that they should look at their ID book they have at their stand and look in the first 8 entries and see what they find. It is not encouraging when I politely tell them I am opting out of the nude-o-scope if I am sent to it instead of the magnetometer because I cannot raise my one arm that high for that long and they treat me like I just told them I was Bin Laden's evil twin. I did not like it when I had bottles of Clear Care solution in the 100ml bottle contaminated because they had to put their fingers on the nozzle to do their little test. I do not like it when they retaliate by sticking their fingers up my crotch and then massage my breasts with the palm of the hands because I politely asked them to please change their gloves that they just used on another person.

So, yes, I have no respect for quite a few TSA clerks. If they were properly educated and trained and did an actual function other than playing at security and treated people with respect, I might change my mind. Sorry, but that is what my experiences have done to me.

If, as is being predicted, the ban on all electronics larger than a phone in carry on baggage is extended to all flights from Europe, how will that affect your cruising plans?

And if, as Joe Leader (the CEO of an airline industry backed group The Airline Passenger Experience Association) states 'it's simply a matter of time' before the ban is extended to all US domestic flights, how will that affect your cruising plans?

I am troubled about the sudden turnaround from being forbidden to put lithium batteries in the hold because it is dangerous, to being forced to do so. Not to mention the massive inconvenience and the hugely increased risk of one's electronics being lost, stolen or damaged.

Surely there must be a better way?

Everyone I know thinks I'm odd because I actually read my books and watch movies on my iphone6. I'm very nearsighted, so taking off my glasses and reading/watching on my phone is comfortable for me. Guess my "disability" is going to work for me when it comes to entertainment on an airplane.

Everyone I know thinks I'm odd because I actually read my books and watch movies on my iphone6. I'm very nearsighted, so taking off my glasses and reading/watching on my phone is comfortable for me. Guess my "disability" is going to work for me when it comes to entertainment on an airplane.

I don't think you're odd, but I envy your close-up vision.:)

Ok so as of today it's ok to take an iPad going and coming on an airplane correct?
Yes. And no. It depends.

On US airlines as well as foreign airlines correct?
Yes. And no. It depends.

In the case of both questions, I think it would help to know more about your travel.

Yes. And no. It depends.

Yes. And no. It depends.

In the case of both questions, I think it would help to know more about your travel.

USA to Western Europe

Western Europe to USA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And then there are some of us who have repeatedly encountered complete idiots working for TSA. Not all of them, obviously, but more than plenty of them.

You mean you ran into the guys who used to routinely try to swab the front element of my $8,000 lens with a little bit of fabric held in a metal wand? An then wondered why I complained?

USA to Western Europe

Western Europe to USA

Without airlines and routings, that information provides no basis for a comprehensive answer.

So the answer remains....yes, no and it depends.

Maybe Luvtheships might know.