Never mind the high cost, what about the laptop ban?

jollyjones

We always hear about "job killing regulations". It sounds like there are also "job creating regulations". More airline jobs, electronic rental jobs, etc will be created by this. I wish some politician/bureaucrat would point this out when they announce a new regulation, rather than just pointing out the corporate "savings" when they kill a regulation.

If you've flown to the US with any regularity I'm surprised you've not seen secondary security at the gate. I've seen it done randomly to certain passengers but also mandatory for all.

Of course I've seen secondary security, though it doesn't always include baggage scanners. That's why I asked. And if it's not done at each individual gate but rather at a certain point for all gates beyond, now you've got a situation where pax are being screened for multiple flights and checking their electronics for a bunch of different flights. This would seem to invite risk of your device accidentally ending up on a different flight.

We always hear about "job killing regulations". It sounds like there are also "job creating regulations". More airline jobs, electronic rental jobs, etc will be created by this. I wish some politician/bureaucrat would point this out when they announce a new regulation, rather than just pointing out the corporate "savings" when they kill a regulation.

Job creation for TSA - they only require a GED, no experience. Maybe they will bring back the hiring ads on the pizza boxes. Remember what the acronym TSA is for: "Thousands Standing Around." ;)

Via Gary Leff and his View from the Wing blog (LINK HERE) comes this:

The European Cockpit Association, which represents 38,000 pilots from 37 countries is against any electronic ban. They say:

With current airplane cargo hold fire suppression systems, it might prove to be impossible to extinguish a lithium battery fire in the cargo hold, especially when the batteries are stored together. Therefore, any event of this nature during flight would more than likely be catastrophic.

…In the addition to the safety concerns, ECA is concerned that the new process provides a predictable mechanism whereby a prepared PED could be placed into the cargo hold together with a large number of lithium batteries (contained in other PEDs) in order to trigger a disastrous event.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

ECA website LINK HERE.

That was the first thing I thought of; if there was a detonation in the cargo hold, how would the ensuing fire be battled? Not that I know the first thing about a cargo hold, so I may be out in left field.

That was the first thing I thought of; if there was a detonation in the cargo hold, how would the ensuing fire be battled? Not that I know the first thing about a cargo hold, so I may be out in left field.

Setting aside the Lithium problem, not all explosions result in sustained fire. They might, but it is not automatic.

First I just want to say thanks to those who posted all of the information here! This hasn't made news here in our area yet.

Happily, I can use the wait and see approach for myself as we aren't flying until 2018. For me though personally going without my iPad would mean me canceling my trip. Sure, it is just a really really old iPad 2, but I have over 3,000 books for pleasure and college text books on it. I use it only for reading/studying and nothing else, it is to old to even work well with our home wi-fi 10 feet away from it. On the other hand, no matter where I am if I am not on my PC, I am reading. The best times on vacation for me, is when I just get to sit and listen to the water and read! I would seriously consider changing our plans for me and DH's 20th anniversary if it means risking my security blanket (aka iPad!!) in checked luggage. I would probably have to get a Xanax prescription to travel without it.

And this is really why I love CC! From reading the other threads about this also, you all here at Cruise Air are the only ones who said about flying to/from Canada (if they don't enact something like this also at least!) The best thing about me and DH's trip? I was already debating driving the 6 hours to Newark to save an estimate of $600 on airfare. The 5 hour driving trip to Toronto (where if we left from our home airport we would transfer at anyways...) is no biggie to us! Sure, some people would never even consider doing something like that to keep their iPad/Laptop/Camera with them for travel. But to me, my sanity and piece of mind is more than worth 10 hours round trip time for me!

Short term concern I have is for one of my bosses whose trip I am helping plan. She is currently planning a Baltic cruise in September. They have a deposit on the cruise, but no airfare yet thankfully. Reason I say this, is she will be traveling with a 3 yr old and an 18 month old, who both have their own iPads (Hey, I work in a health-care type field so toddlers with iPads are normal it seems... clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744) Anyway, unless someone wants to be stuck on a flight to Denmark with 2 screaming toddlers because they are bored out of their minds... she so needs to watch this! And if she does book and it happens, anyone with her has my sincerest sympathies!

Looks like we have a reprieve for now after the EU pointed out some of the obvious drawbacks. Nice to see a glimmering of sanity emanating from the US of A.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you have an article or source for this? Lots of people are objecting...but that doesn't mean it is stopping the Trump administration.

Also reported on Boston radio and TV stations this morning - too costly to set up the multi-step security process for all flights, time delays while passengers stand in line to have electronics checked, wrapped in bubble wrap and tagged/boxed, business is overly concerned about security of THEIR secure data being compromised if a lap top were to go missing, and a host of other reasons. For now, only those flights originating in a select list of countries will need to continue the" no electronics in the cabin" process.

Darcy

This is very confusing. We are flying from the US to Vancouver on Saturday. From what I understand this ban does not affect us. We just bring a a camera or 2 and a table or kindle. We should be ok with those right?

This is very confusing. We are flying from the US to Vancouver on Saturday. From what I understand this ban does not affect us. We just bring a a camera or 2 and a table or kindle. We should be ok with those right?

Apparently for now.

But it is possible the restrictions will change in the future.

USA-Canada flights probably (but that's only 'probably') aren't high on the list for this now.

We are heading USA to Japan/Hong Kong next week... and hope that nothing sudden happens in this regard. Probably won't! But for future travels... tricky to adapt to this.

RM

If, as is being predicted, the ban on all electronics larger than a phone in carry on baggage is extended to all flights from Europe, how will that affect your cruising plans?

And if, as Joe Leader (the CEO of an airline industry backed group The Airline Passenger Experience Association) states 'it's simply a matter of time' before the ban is extended to all US domestic flights, how will that affect your cruising plans?

I am troubled about the sudden turnaround from being forbidden to put lithium batteries in the hold because it is dangerous, to being forced to do so. Not to mention the massive inconvenience and the hugely increased risk of one's electronics being lost, stolen or damaged.

Surely there must be a better way?

Following...6/14 we leave for monthlong Viking Ocean trip

Yes, but travelers ALWAYS brought a camera...

A friend forwarded me a Facebook posting for someone's "How to take DSLR-quality photos with your iPhone" class. If the ban ever does become true, I may take that class!

It shouldn't affect you flying to Canada now; whether or not it might affect your flight back into the US on the return remains to be seen. Tablets, Kindles, and digital cameras are all on the list of electronics currently banned on some flights from the Middle East, and it may affect flights to the US from other locations.

A friend forwarded me a Facebook posting for someone's "How to take DSLR-quality photos with your iPhone" class. If the ban ever does become true, I may take that class!

DH ordered a "lens" for his iPhone.

It arrived a while ago.

I was expecting some rinky dink thing, like a kid's magnifying glass lens (well, somewhat better that that).

It's got a case, and a cover, and it actually looks like an extra camera lens (but I don't "know" cameras, which should be obvious).

And this was the cheap model, something like $30 (!?).

We'll see what he can do with it, with photos, besides impressing/bewildering me. :o

I've always been impressed with his iPhone/mini-iPad photos, which he edits.

However, there is NO way that would be close to what the "real stuff" can provide, when handled by an adept photographer. But for us civilians....

An iPhone (a recent iPhone) in the hands of a good photographer can take some lovely photos. Instead of an additional lens, learn some photography basics (on composition, lighting, depth of field, etc) and also how to fully use the iPhone camera (it can do a lot more than many people think).

It shouldn't affect you flying to Canada now; whether or not it might affect your flight back into the US on the return remains to be seen. Tablets, Kindles, and digital cameras are all on the list of electronics currently banned on some flights from the Middle East, and it may affect flights to the US from other locations.

We are flying home fron Anchorage. So we still should be good. I can live without the tablet, just use it for movies. But don't really want to put cameras in packed luggage.

This is in regards to trumps travel ban... so if your coming from

The countries that he has listed as blocked countries then if coming from those countries you have to put your large electronics in your checked bags!! This was the last info I was briefed on!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Apparently for now.

But it is possible the restrictions will change in the future.

USA-Canada flights probably (but that's only 'probably') aren't high on the list for this now.

We are heading USA to Japan/Hong Kong next week... and hope that nothing sudden happens in this regard. Probably won't! But for future travels... tricky to adapt to this.

RM

Canada-US flights are unique. There are many US airports where Canada is the only foreign destination served and with all the US customs and immigration done at the Canadian end.

End result is most flights to Canada depart and arrive from domestic gates in the US. Makes it hard to treat these flights differently from domestic US flights at the gate on the US side.

Canada-US flights are unique. There are many US airports where Canada is the only foreign destination served and with all the US customs and immigration done at the Canadian end.

End result is most flights to Canada depart and arrive from domestic gates in the US. Makes it hard to treat these flights differently from domestic US flights at the gate on the US side.

I get it, but that leaves Canadian airports as a big hole in the US' planned airplane/airport security, and I don't know how long they'll not act to close that hole.

If, as is being predicted, the ban on all electronics larger than a phone in carry on baggage is extended to all flights from Europe, how will that affect your cruising plans?

And if, as Joe Leader (the CEO of an airline industry backed group The Airline Passenger Experience Association) states 'it's simply a matter of time' before the ban is extended to all US domestic flights, how will that affect your cruising plans?

I am troubled about the sudden turnaround from being forbidden to put lithium batteries in the hold because it is dangerous, to being forced to do so. Not to mention the massive inconvenience and the hugely increased risk of one's electronics being lost, stolen or damaged.

Surely there must be a better way?

There is a better way. Simply leave all your electronics at home :). When we started cruising (more then forty years ago) we had no electronics....and did quite fine :). If you simply "must have" your electronics you will simply have to roll with the waves and follow the procedures that exist at the time.

Hank