Have you been overcharged by Celebrity?

CMerri

It appears to me from reading the posts on this thread that Celebrity does make mistakes and when made aware of the mistake takes steps to correct it. The OPs problem still needs to be resolved. Any business needs proof to see the nature of a problem and reach a fair resolution. They just can't take someone's word that there was a problem. Hopefully, the OP will report on a favorable outcome. The suggestion, serious or not that Celebrity overcharges to increase their bottom line is pure nonsense and not supported by any facts.

Edited by Orator

Over the years we have had occasional small charging errors. We are also daily TV account checkers! All have been quickly sorted, no different to experiences in hotels...

If Celebrity have charged your credit card account for your balance plus significantly more after you had settled in cash then the credit card company should help to sort this out...I assume you have a receipt for your cash payment, a copy of that would probably help them.

It appears to me from reading the posts on this thread that Celebrity does make mistakes and when made aware of the mistake takes steps to correct it. The OPs problem still needs to be resolved. Any business needs proof to see the nature of a problem and reach a fair resolution. They just can't take someone's word that there was a problem. Hopefully, the OP will report on a favorable outcome. The suggestion, serious or not that Celebrity overcharges to increase their bottom line is pure nonsense and not supported by any facts.

I agree. However, I doubt the OP will elaborate on their problem to Celebrity or here. Looks like a one and done poster to me. I would say that at least 90% of these type of posts are just trolls.

We also check our account daily on the TV in the stateroom and once - maybe twice we have been charged for things that either we have not had, or which should have been covered by our drinks package. I believe I know a possible reason - one day when we left the buffet we collected our bottles of water from a table near the door. The attendant there was copying down the 8 digit numbers from people's passcards onto a piece of paper so that they could put them through the till later. I should imagine that errors can occur when the waiter is putting someone's beverage through the till using their passcard number, and mistakenly keys in the wrong number which may happen to be someone elses.

I doubt they are doing it deliberately - just human error.

It is worth checking in the evening, then you can remember what you have had. Otherwise we do not let it bother us too much as Celebrity, in our case, refunded the wrongly charged amounts without any trouble whatsoever.

I agree. However, I doubt the OP will elaborate on their problem to Celebrity or here. Looks like a one and done poster to me. I would say that at least 90% of these type of posts are just trolls.

Thinking the same but wanted to give them a chance.

Isn't it amazing how many first time posters do that.

While they may not have a policy of overcharging, I suspect that they have no policy of taking steps to avoid overcharging either. For quite some time now, RCI passengers have been consistently reporting that they've been charged after the cruise for the bottled water in their cabins. Clearly there's a major problem, one that RCI is well aware of but has taken no apparent steps to address. Between the number of people who never scrutinize their post-cruise billing and those who just don't bother doing anything about it, there's a healthy profit for RCI in taking no action. Is there any reason to believe that sister-line Celebrity is any more pro-active in eliminating problems that result in additional profits for the line? I, for one, highly doubt it.

I would agree with you 110% that if there are as many instances of overcharge as is thought, Celebrity should and could do something to eliminate the incorrect charge. One thing they could do is do an initial inventory count the last eventing while turning down the bed and leave a preprinted form showing the potential charge(s). Then do a second count as they normally do when restocking.

I for sure would have been able to resolve my issue before leaving the ship and wasting mine and Celebrity's time deleting the charge. I was glad Celebrity gave me a credit with no real proof of my claim, but it could happen again with a different result. Maybe Celebrity has done the cost analysis/customer satisfaction benefit of this issue and decided this is where they want to be on it?! Give credits when called.

I have never had any problems with Celebrity or RCCL overcharging us. If my OBC is not showing up on my account by day 3 of the cruise I go to guest services to report it. Then I check every day twice a day to make sure if shows up.

Fortunately, I have only had this happen twice, once on Celebrity and once on RCCL and it was taken care of with one trip down to guest services.

We also check our accounts on the TV screen in the cabin. Whenever there has been an invalid charge, we just called Guest Relations and they took it right off.

A few times we noticed an overcharge on our credit card statement after returning home.

But we just called Celebrity, and they promptly reversed it, crediting it back to our account each time.

We never needed to bother contesting it with the credit card company.

It happens too frequently. I check my account every day on the cruise. As elite plus, I get free coffee and teas at Cafe al Bacio. I have often been asked to sign slips for the cost. When I point out that zi am elote plus, the charges are usually reversed. Some still get posted. A call to guest services can correct the problem. Some get posted after disembarkation. That means contacting Celebrity to get the chatges removed. Annoying? Very annoying. We have suggested that there be a an beverage package called elite plus stamped on seapass where other beverage packages are shown.

It happens too frequently. I check my account every day on the cruise. As elite plus, I get free coffee and teas at Cafe al Bacio. I have often been asked to sign slips for the cost. When I point out that zi am elote plus, the charges are usually reversed. Some still get posted. A call to guest services can correct the problem. Some get posted after disembarkation. That means contacting Celebrity to get the chatges removed. Annoying? Very annoying. We have suggested that there be a an beverage package called elite plus stamped on seapass where other beverage packages are shown.

i would agree celebrity should try a variety of things to fix their system!

i would agree celebrity should try a variety of things to fix their system!

I would have agreed with this statement before the latest fiasco where they tried to fix their website problems, but only made them worse. clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

Getting the erroneous charges removed is currently a pain, but at least it is easy to do.

Now I fear they may make the problem even worse if they try to fix it. clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

• 1 year later...

Dear Sir

MOST URGENT

We travelled in your celebrity infinity Alaska cruise 29th July 2018 to 5th Aug 2018, State Room 8102.

We have settled as per your final bill before disembarking on 5 th Aug 2018 by card registered with you by paying 459.28 USD. The payment has been done on 7th Aug 2018 as per their statement and you have also confirmed by email the payment and zero balance.

But I am surprised to see in my card statement that they have kept the following amount under HOLD TRANSACTIONS based on your repeated claim as below.

1. 03/08/2018 Ref No 24885755 158USD

2. 03/08/18 Ref No. 248022005

19.60USD

3. 04/08/2018 Ref No.2488814

60USD

4. 05/08/2018 Ref No.24982718

38.25USD.

Payment of 459.28USD as per Ref no.

24723680 as per your final billhas been done on 07/08 2018.

All the repeated claim as above is included in your final bill of 459.28USD

Which has been paid as above.

I am totally disappointed and.shocked to see such irregularities that too in a acclaimed highly professional organisation like Celebrity. This has wiped out my very high impression I had about Excellent Cruise and Celebrity.

Please take immediate action to intimate card people to release the above withheld amount and credit it to my account.

I request you to take immediate action as I am still touring Abroad otherwise I will be put into lot of inconvenience.

I sincerely, hope that you will restore my confidence over Celebrity by your immediate action without further loss of time. Please, intimate me your Email I’d for easier communication in this regard with you.

Regards, Nandagopal

Dear Sir

MOST URGENT

(...)

Do you realize that we are not affiliated with Celebrity, and repeating the same request in so short time will absolutely not help you. We are just a group of cruiser.

You should go to celebrity cruise website and check how to contact them (just one mail per week). On last resort, you can call your credit card and claim back the money, but before doing it, ask celebrity: errors happens frequently, especially considering that thousand of people need to pay and disembark in few hours. Maybe there is not error but you forgot some items (or you take something from your room, thinking that it were free to take). Such errors happens to all cruisers.

'IT' happens. Stayed at Sandals Royal in Jamaica and someone used a device to swipe my cc and a few months later I got a call from my cc company asking if I purchased anything from _____ (some place in Africa). Nope, they reversed it no problem. Over $1,500 in electronics was purchased. This was intentional. I believe many of those discussed here, are mistakes. A bar person charging you for a drink when you have the drink package, does them no good.

Dear Sir, Most Urgent reads to me like there is a pending charge sitting on his cc for the amount he has already paid, not a duplicate charge that Is showing as owing.

He is asking Celebrity to “initimate card people to release the above withheld amount”

I have a similar problem with 2 pending charges for prescriptions that were ordered by Dr office in error. Prescriptions were not filled/shipped but the pending charges are still there, pharmacy has processed the cancellation of the charges but the cr card company seems slow to process the reversal.

Mr. Nandagopal, the time a hold stays on your credit card is determined by the credit card issuer, not NCL. You should call your bank and see what their policy is.

When I look a TA my account on line, I see pending charges frequently. But I never see the pending charges in my actually billing statement.

On a couple Celebrity cruises we were over charged but called them after we got home and they removed the charges right away.

We checked every day as well while onboard.

My suggestion is make sure your bill is correct before you settle up and leave the ship. Check your credit card about a week after cruise to make sure nothing else was charged to it. If there has been and not correct call Celebrity and they will make it right.

Nope. I don’t drink, but anything in stores, expresso’s, specialty dinners, etc.......I also lie a lot. But no, always check prior to leaving the ship and no issues....yet. Love the more digital approach on the TV.

Den