Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

14 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I can’t answer your first question about whether they will make the coffee in your personal mug but they do have cardboard cups with cozies/heat protectors and tops so you can get a coffee to go.  If you’re staying in the Living Room, it will be served in a ceramic cup with saucer. Upstairs at the WC, they have ceramic mugs.  I’m 95% sure that paper to go-cups are available up there also. 

During the 21/22 Viking World Cruise, to-go cardboard cups with tops were readily available in the Living Room bar, Star Theater bar, Explorers' Lounge bar, and World Cafe.  

7 minutes ago, UWDawg said:

During the 21/22 Viking World Cruise, to-go cardboard cups with tops were readily available in the Living Room bar, Star Theater bar, Explorers' Lounge bar, and World Cafe.  

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I prefer NOT to use single-use cups.  I would like to use my reusable insulated mug but want to know if the baristas on Viking will make my coffee in that or if it is no longer permitted due to hygiene reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loriva said:

Thanks for the contributions to this thread through the years, including changes after the COVID pause.  It has been very helpful as we prepare for our first Viking Ocean cruise after a great "Christmas on the Elbe" trip with Viking in December 2022.

One question that someone who has sailed recently might be able to answer.  I noticed a suggestion to take insulated mugs for coffee to-go from the baristas.  (Or potentially, the self-service coffee maker in the World Cafe.)  This is something we have done for years--especially mugs with handles that allow me to carry both in one hand and have the other hand free to open doors, etc.  On a cruise with Princess (our go-to line for many years) in August 2022, however, the baristas said they were not allowed to use personal mugs for coffee anymore per new hygiene protocols.

Does anyone know if Viking baristas will still make a coffee drink--latte, Americano, etc.--using personal mugs or not?  If not, does Viking have the cardboard carriers to allow transport of multiple cups--although I still hate to waste paper cups every day.  Or do they make coffee in real mugs?  Trying to figure out if I should pack ours or not.  (Thanks as well for information on the Nespresso makers and the pod choices in the stateroom.)

Many thanks,

Im not a fan of drinks being poured directly from either the taps or the coffee machines directly into someone else's cup. Can never get them clean in a cabin like in a dishwasher. Princess was like this pre Covid. Their one good point. 🤭. And we just can't guarantee other peoples habits. People had to pour from the glass into their own cup if wanted. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

I can’t answer your first question about whether they will make the coffee in your personal mug but they do have cardboard cups with cozies/heat protectors and tops so you can get a coffee to go.  If you’re staying in the Living Room, it will be served in a ceramic cup with saucer. Upstairs at the WC, they have ceramic mugs.  I’m 95% sure that paper to go-cups are available up there also. 

The Nespresso machines in DV and above staterooms come with medium  roast and a decaf pods, ceramic cups, saucers, fancy spoons, non refrigerated creamers, and sugars. image.thumb.jpeg.452ce9daf9835adad189d4800b84e143.jpeg

I took that tray shown in the photo down to the Viking bar each morning.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, loriva said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I prefer NOT to use single-use cups.  I would like to use my reusable insulated mug but want to know if the baristas on Viking will make my coffee in that or if it is no longer permitted due to hygiene reasons.

Yes but you also asked several other questions including whether paper cups were available.

I too hope they do not make drinks directly into passengers cups, I'm surprised to hear they ever did that as that would be a health concern. We always pour the paper cups into our insulated containers. If we are using the machine sometimes it takes a few cups to fill our containers. This is commonly done and we saw the same people doing this every morning. As someone said, if you do not want to use paper products, you can have it made in a "real" cup and transfer it into your container. At times we have experienced a shortage of the paper cups and had to go looking for them.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

I too hope they do not make drinks directly into passengers cups, I'm surprised to hear they ever did that as that would be a health concern. We always pour the paper cups into our insulated containers. If we are using the machine sometimes it takes a few cups to fill our containers. This is commonly done and we saw the same people doing this every morning. As someone said, if you do not want to use paper products, you can have it made in a "real" cup and transfer it into your container. At times we have experienced a shortage of the paper cups and had to go looking for them.  

On our recent Viking Star cruise, they ran out of the usual coffee paper cups and instead just had the very tiny small water/juice paper cups that were not viable for hot liquids.  So used the ceramic cups.  Only issue is that they are sometimes cold, so have to put hot water in them first, then coffee or whatever hot liquid, and then transfer to the insulated cups.  It becomes a process.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2021 at 3:15 AM, UWDawg said:

@khuselid,

@TayanaLorna provided responded to a similar question under a related topic where her response was: #2. "It's one device per person per cabin.  So if you want to use Wifi on your tablet or laptop, you need to disconnect your phone from it."

Additionally, in My Viking Journey, within the ONBOARD EXPERIENCE section under Stateroom Services, there are the following comments regarding the internet service which you might find of interest:

Internet Access

All the ships offer free Wi-Fi. You may use your personal device or one of the ship’s computers in our Business Center on Deck 1. Our connection relies on a VSAT satellite terminal—the best possible solution for ocean cruising. Due to the nature of data bandwidth and latency, as well as potential interruptions in satellite signals based on terrain and weather, you may experience slower online connections than you are accustomed to at home. In order to ensure fair usage for all, we reserve the right to limit heavy-bandwidth applications, downloads or software upgrades so that all our guests have access to Wi-Fi. We suggest that guests limit large uploads/downloads and live streaming. Please download your content prior to your cruise, as bandwidth will affect your service and cannot be guaranteed. We would be pleased to help you with your device settings once you are on board. We hope you will understand that we will do our very best to provide you with an enjoyable online experience, and remember you will likely be able to access standard Wi-Fi and data roaming services on shore in most towns and cities you visit.

I've also seen bits and pieces in various CC Boards regarding the WiFi service.  NY Nick had some comments you might find useful in this post: #382

We have cheap travel smartphones and buy Ultra Mobile sim's with a new number for each trip ( if they scheduled far apart, otherwise just pay the monthly cost).  It has proven most valuable for international messaging, data and calling.  We limit calling to emergencies, but text is only 5cents/outbound text and unlimited incoming free.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, leishirsute said:

We have cheap travel smartphones and buy Ultra Mobile sim's with a new number for each trip ( if they scheduled far apart, otherwise just pay the monthly cost).  It has proven most valuable for international messaging, data and calling.  We limit calling to emergencies, but text is only 5cents/outbound text and unlimited incoming free.

Or you could switch your cell phone provider to T-Mobile who has FREE texting, e-mail, web and pretty much all things data in all but about ten countries in the entire world. Calls are 25¢ a minute. Did three weeks in the Med on Sky in September and the total bill was under $5. They are the cell phone company for travelers. I should add that in certain parts of the world, their coverage is better and faster than here in the US (because they are part of Deutch Telecom). 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Or you could switch your cell phone provider to T-Mobile who has FREE texting, e-mail, web and pretty much all things data in all but about ten countries in the entire world. Calls are 25¢ a minute. Did three weeks in the Med on Sky in September and the total bill was under $5. They are the cell phone company for travelers. I should add that in certain parts of the world, their coverage is better and faster than here in the US (because they are part of Deutch Telecom). 

Are those T-mobile qualifying plans able to be temporary i.e. for 1 month or do you have to pay the same rate for months not traveling?  I currently pay $25/month for unlimited text, calls and data in the USA and wouldn't want to give up that price.

Edited by leishirsute

2 minutes ago, leishirsute said:

Are those T-mobile qualifying plans able to be temporary i.e. for 1 month or do you have to pay the same rate for months not traveling?  I currently pay $25/month for unlimited text, calls and data in the USA and wouldn't want to give up that price.

Can’t answer your question but will say that we pay $50/month for two lines with T-Mobile so suggest you call them and ask. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Can’t answer your question but will say that we pay $50/month for two lines with T-Mobile so suggest you call them and ask. 

We pay $60/mo for two lines 55+ with auto pay. Have had it since 2017. Works great abroad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, leishirsute said:

They qouted me $55/month for 1 line with military discount.

We are on their senior plan-have been since I turned 55. And I was just informed that we actually pay $60 a month for our 2lines.  The monthly bill is $50 because of credits received when we purchased a new phone.   

Mike also informed me that he thinks we are being grandfathered in and that the current plan is more. 

Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, leishirsute said:

If you phone supports eSims you can buy and install one before you go. I recently used one that was good for all of Europe, $13 for 30 days. Other locations and lengths available.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

I am a fan of T-Mobile because of all the third party discounts which for me effectively make it cheaper.

I chose to upgrade to Magenta Max 55+ with my wife because of:

• International text and Data + 5GB of high speed data abroad
  • Included Netflix
  • Included Apple TV+
  • Free year of AAA
  • Free year of Paramount Plus
  • and other stuff

Now others may not stream and so that may not be of value but it is to us.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 1:04 PM, leishirsute said:

Okay fine. 
Since this thread is

information for new cruisers,

may I add.

Over the years,

WE have never used our phones on international cruises.

If there is an emergency, 

no need to add stress.

Enjoy your vacation.

🙂

On 3/12/2023 at 1:04 PM, leishirsute said:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, $hip$hape said:

Okay fine. 
Since this thread is

information for new cruisers,

may I add.

Over the years,

WE have never used our phones on international cruises.

If there is an emergency, 

no need to add stress.

Enjoy your vacation.

🙂

My wife and I completely burned through our 5GB on our last cruise.  I was negotiating and signing a solar panel expansion contract,  Checking security cameras during heavy rainfall in our area, calling for Ubers, general map tools.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, zalusky said:

My wife and I completely burned through our 5GB on our last cruise.  I was negotiating and signing a solar panel expansion contract,  Checking security cameras during heavy rainfall in our area, calling for Ubers, general map tools.

You can download specific city maps from Google Maps onto your phone, and then use them without using any data. I always do that for each port before we leave. First I research each port and use the Starred Places feature to mark restaurants and sights I might want to visit in the location. ( I just might do more research than the average person, but it helps the pass the time between cruises!)

• Like 7

3 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

You can download specific city maps from Google Maps onto your phone, and then use them without using any data. I always do that for each port before we leave. First I research each port and use the Starred Places feature to mark restaurants and sights I might want to visit in the location. ( I just might do more research than the average person, but it helps the pass the time between cruises!)

I do same.

Yellow Stars for places to check out.

Green Flags for restaurants to check out.  

Red Hearts after I visit a place whether I like it or not, to remind myself of the itinerary by glancing at the map.

If I’m confident I’ll visit a place/ restaurant, I’ll take an extra 30 sec to add a custom label with the Open - Close times. 

• Like 3