Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

38 minutes ago, Mickey111 said:

Thank you so much. Just exploring at present don’t have a chair yet. He had knee replacement which went well now other knee is bad due to be done October 31. He has very bad sciatica which is affecting his walking and balance. He can walk short distances so if we can just get him onto the ship it’s a start not worried about excursions 

I would go for a manual chair or something like a travelscoot. You will be able to get both onto the ship by yourself. Travelscoots are designed for airline and cruise ship travel. 

Whatever you do, don't check it. Get it labelled as 'return to aircraft door' baggage handling systems are notorious for damaging mobility gear. 

5 minutes ago, j4giz said:

We're sailing on Monday--Viking Ocean for the first time.  Do we need to have a swimsuit cover-up to go to the pool or spa or can we use the supplied robe?

A controversial topic, after a lengthy and heated debate on these forums, a cover up was deemed better than the robe, which produced scorn. 

That said, there will be a few people who wander through the lounges in robes

• Thanks 1

It is probably nicer to have a light coverup rather than take the heavy robe where it might get wet and need laundry service from your steward.  A tasteful cover up will be more welcome in other areas of the ship.  In the spa there are lockers , robes and a suit spinner which allows you to wear regular clothes to and from

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

The 'draft' excursion list Viking Chat provided upon request showed pricing in our currency of booking (CAD); will this be the same when booking online? 

I have currency options I can use so want to set up the correct one to save time. and avoid conversion charges...

Screenshot2023-08-1714_16_33.thumb.png.fea71fd929d60c4c3c1fea5665503d4c.png

1 hour ago, bison2013 said:

The 'draft' excursion list Viking Chat provided upon request showed pricing in our currency of booking (CAD); will this be the same when booking online? 

I have currency options I can use so want to set up the correct one to save time. and avoid conversion charges...

Screenshot2023-08-1714_16_33.thumb.png.fea71fd929d60c4c3c1fea5665503d4c.png

Yes, when you are booking excursions, spa, silver spirits, etc. on MVJ online, you will be paying in CAD.  When you are onboard and book any excursions, etc., you will be paying in USD.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mickey111 said:

We are on Viking Mars 12 September from Bergen with pre extension in Oslo.

husband may need to bring electric wheelchair or scooter along.

does anyone have experience of this situation?

Contact Viking asap.  We're also on that cruise and pre-stay, and there's a number of tender ports (plus the train as a PP mentioned) that might make wheelchair use problematic.

23 hours ago, j4giz said:

We're sailing on Monday--Viking Ocean for the first time.  Do we need to have a swimsuit cover-up to go to the pool or spa or can we use the supplied robe?

We opted to use the robes, as did many other passengers. Walking to and from the spa or pool in a robe won’t raise many eyebrows; wearing a robe while lounging around in other public spaces might. 

• Like 8

On 8/17/2023 at 12:46 PM, j4giz said:

You've gotten answers.  My one suggestion when wearing your robe is whenever possible try to move longitudinally on your stateroom hallway and then move vertically to the spa or pool.  This keeps you from sauntering through the more public areas which seems to be what so many find objectionable.  Doesn't bother me-hell I usually end up running to move clothes in the launderette barefoot wearing gym shorts and a tee shirt-who am I to complain about someone else's attire!😂 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Then we'll do tipping.

Then move on to ball caps.

I hear it is poor form to not tip your server while wearing a robe in the living room, especially while wearing your ball cap! Discuss...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

54 minutes ago, Haqdeluxe said:

Then move on to ball caps.

I hear it is poor form to not tip your server while wearing a robe in the living room, especially while wearing your ball cap! Discuss...

Only if also wearing jeans at the time 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

I have a robe made from nice looking denim, can I wear it in the restaurant?  By the way, I am a doctor with limited vacation time 

Can any collared shirt you might be wearing be clearly seen by other diners? 

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2023 at 12:46 PM, j4giz said:

Welcome to Viking! You will find some truly helpful past Viking cruisers on this board. You will also find some sarcasm and impatience with questions from newbies. Wearing a robe to cover your swimsuit is certainly acceptable. Clay’s advice to avoid public areas is wise. Above all, have a great cruise! I remember the excitement of our first Viking cruise. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

Welcome to Viking! You will find some truly helpful past Viking cruisers on this board. You will also find some sarcasm and impatience with questions from newbies. Wearing a robe to cover your swimsuit is certainly acceptable. Clay’s advice to avoid public areas is wise. Above all, have a great cruise! I remember the excitement of our first Viking cruise. 

We weren't being sarcastic about the question being asked, we were enjoying the humour involved in the usual resulting debates.

Many regard robes as similar in status to nightwear rather than garments to be worn in public, I and many others wouldn't wear one outside the cabin or spa, others don't think there is anything wrong with being seen in one elsewhere. 

Usually the first two pages of the discussion are sensible then it gets heated, eventually ending in jokes and silliness 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/18/2023 at 2:13 PM, bookbabe said:

Contact Viking asap.  We're also on that cruise and pre-stay, and there's a number of tender ports (plus the train as a PP mentioned) that might make wheelchair use problematic.

Thank you I’m hoping he can manage with crutches he has new meds which should help. As long as I can get him on board I’ll be happy desperately needing this trip

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mickey111 said:

Thank you I’m hoping he can manage with crutches he has new meds which should help. As long as I can get him on board I’ll be happy desperately needing this trip

Be prepared for a bit of standing around when boarding, one of those folding things on wheels ( frame in UK, I think called a rollator in US) with a built in seat might be worth thinking about, or one of those 'seat on a folding tripod stick' things 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Be prepared for a bit of standing around when boarding, one of those folding things on wheels ( frame in UK, I think called a rollator in US) with a built in seat might be worth thinking about, or one of those 'seat on a folding tripod stick' things 

I’ve been looking at those it’s persuading husband to get one

6 hours ago, KBs mum said:

We weren't being sarcastic about the question being asked, we were enjoying the humour involved in the usual resulting debates.

Many regard robes as similar in status to nightwear rather than garments to be worn in public, I and many others wouldn't wear one outside the cabin or spa, others don't think there is anything wrong with being seen in one elsewhere. 

Usually the first two pages of the discussion are sensible then it gets heated, eventually ending in jokes and silliness 

I understand the humor and sarcasm.  But the OP is a first-time Viking cruiser with few posts. If someone hasn’t been around the Viking board, they might not get the “humour.”  And for a newbie humor can easily feel like sarcasm. 
The question is understandable and Clay’s solution was helpful. The real take-away is the benefit of the search feature. But live and learn. 

On 8/17/2023 at 11:41 AM, KBs mum said:

I would go for a manual chair or something like a travelscoot. You will be able to get both onto the ship by yourself. Travelscoots are designed for airline and cruise ship travel. 

Whatever you do, don't check it. Get it labelled as 'return to aircraft door' baggage handling systems are notorious for damaging mobility gear. 

Agreed, do not check it. A man on our recent cruise checked his and it never arrived. 

We experienced many excursions where wheelchair use would not be possible. Viking is not always aware of the conditions on excursions as those change. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 11:07 AM, Mickey111 said:

We are on Viking Mars 12 September from Bergen with pre extension in Oslo.

husband may need to bring electric wheelchair or scooter along.

does anyone have experience of this situation?

We did this cruise last Sept. including Oslo pre-cruise with Train.  In response to concern with getting on in Bergen, as I recall we boarded through the cruise terminal using escalators/elevators and permanent ramps rather than the Mars ship ramp, which did have short steps.  

If your pre-cruise includes the train and Thon Opera hotel there are a few hurdles with that part of the trip.  You walk to the train, not far, but there may be step ups and ramps, etc. I will include a few pictures.  The storage for scooter may not be near or in your train car.  Most of the cars were all rows of seats, we happen to be in a short or split car with only 6 rows of seats and a small luggage storage area.

The disembark in Greenwich was ramps.   Based upon tides, they can be slight incline or steep.  You also have to navigate from the ship to a platform in the river, then onto a large ferry catamaran then back off at a ferry dock before the ramp to shore.

Finally, you might want to search for the several British Isles threads on Viking CC.    Those might have more details that can help you with accessibility at the ports where you have your excursions planned.

I am happy to answer any questions.

IMG_4339.thumb.jpeg.4bc2021930602e2ad88f9f1ca36c7256.jpegIMG_4340.thumb.jpeg.f03ebd85fdc5db6b6a37fd8ea6766590.jpegIMG_4341.thumb.jpeg.c303dff337ebb593aa9166885b62bb7d.jpegIMG_4600.thumb.jpeg.59f468018625f91535080bea8e456f56.jpegIMG_4563.thumb.jpeg.8454beecafd62c23d66c577a40711596.jpeg

• Like 2