Looking for suggestions - warm weather in early February

I want to celebrate my Feb. 4th birthday on a cruise to an area that has pleasant weather at that time of year. (Southern hemisphere?) Looking for something from 7 to 14 days (flexible) and on a small to medium size ship. I am fairly new to cruising (first one this year) and I am hooked. I was thinking Galapagos, South America, Australia/New Zealand or open to other suggestions. So far anything that sounds great doesn't seem to cover that date, or if it does it is an extremely lengthy cruise. Adult daughter will accompany me and she will not be able to take too much time off from work.

I am open to just about any suggestions as long as it isn't one of the giant cruise ships.

Mexican Riviera

Out of San Diego, Los Angeles & Long Beach, San Francisco.

Carnival and Princess sail year round. Other cruise lines come and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Caribbean is HOT all year round....the Bahamas and Bermuda are NOT Caribbean countries...so don't book something that includes those ports!

Once in the Caribbean, you will be warm and toasty!

Your location says Hilo, HI. How much better do you need it to be? Or does it just have to be somewhere different? You could do cruises through the Panama Canal on Windstar, or do the eastern or southern Caribbean on Windstar, Seabourn, Star Clippers...Windstar or Oceania in Tahiti...Or would that be too much like home? Go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose some departure ports, or some ports you would like to visit, and see who is calling there. EM

Southern Caribbean, Hawaii, or something remote like Asia.

I know some say it is always warm in the Caribbean but I have been there when it has been chilly. Florida soon so please recognized that weather is weather and sometimes it can be rainy and even on the cooler side on a Caribbean Cruise. Southern less so in terms of how cool it is.

Keith

How about Tahiti? You have a choice of the luxurious Paul Gauguin or the freighter/passenger ship Aranui 5 which does 14 days from Papeete to the Marquesas' via the Tuamotu atolls.

The Marquesans were the islanders going to Hawaii in their wakas, but the islands are culturally very different from modern Hawaii. It's a bit like Hawaii at the time of discovery but with electricity and a dose of France. If you happen to have Polynesian blood, dance hula and know some of the original language, you will feel right at home.

Check out photos to see whether you would like to see the Marquesas. The Aranui is the only ship that sails directly along the coast to tiny bays to deliver freight and pickup limes, noni, and coconuts. Her crew is Polynesian which gives you a totally different flair from a cruise ship like the Paul Gauguin. Aranui's passengers are a bit more adventurous and more international than most 'standard' cruise passengers.

https://www.aranui.com/

Excursions and several restaurants ashore are included but not diving or parasailing.

Warm and cold are relative. As noted OP is in Hawaii so Mexican Riviera could be relatively cool. We did Southern Caribbean in February (mid month but same) and it was warm for us from Minnesota (at the time) but could be cool for others. San Juan was 100° warmer when we got off the plane than when we got on in Minneapolis (at -20°). But it would probably be very similar to Hilo. I agree with the South Pacific suggestion for best chances of warm in that time period.

Warm and cold are relative. As noted OP is in Hawaii so Mexican Riviera could be relatively cool. We did Southern Caribbean in February (mid month but same) and it was warm for us from Minnesota (at the time) but could be cool for others. San Juan was 100° warmer when we got off the plane than when we got on in Minneapolis (at -20°). But it would probably be very similar to Hilo. I agree with the South Pacific suggestion for best chances of warm in that time period.

Heh, just makes me think of being in an airport during the winter and seeing people in shorts and flip-flops knowing they either are really looking forward to being in warm place or will soon be wishing they thought about their flight home attire a little better

soon be wishing they thought about their flight home attire a little better

Last thing I did in the parking ramp at MSP was ditch the parka and dash in to the terminal. Even though it warmed up to zero when we got home it was...bracing to go to the car to get the coat.... the cold, cold coat. :(

New Zealand is lovely in February. It might be a tad cool during the scenic cruising through Fiordland at the bottom of the South Island but the rest of the port stops should be pleasantly warm. There are a number of cruises that do the NZ route in late January and early February, and are usually 12-14 nights. Some are one way cruises, Sydney to Auckland or vice versa, some are return from Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.

Another option would be a South Pacific cruise from Sydney or Brisbane. You should be able to find one that fits with your birthday.

I want to celebrate my Feb. 4th birthday on a cruise to an area that has pleasant weather at that time of year. (Southern hemisphere?) Looking for something from 7 to 14 days (flexible) and on a small to medium size ship. I am fairly new to cruising (first one this year) and I am hooked. I was thinking Galapagos, South America, Australia/New Zealand or open to other suggestions. So far anything that sounds great doesn't seem to cover that date, or if it does it is an extremely lengthy cruise. Adult daughter will accompany me and she will not be able to take too much time off from work.

I am open to just about any suggestions as long as it isn't one of the giant cruise ships.

Easy answer is southern latitude.

How about a February cruise out of Valparaiso headed to Polynesia? Fly into Santiago and enjoy wine country on the way to Valpo (just about the upside down latitude from Sacramento to San Francisco through parts of Napa and Sonoma).

I'd recommend something closer to 18 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you choose the Caribbesn, choose the Southern Cariibbean. It will be warm. Anywhere west of Puerto Rico can be cool.

Anywhere west of Puerto Rico is south of Cuba - level with Jamaica - to the southern Yucatan. Where, in that area, have you experienced cool weather?

Some great sugestions so far. But there is one question you must answer me before I give you the Ultimate Cruise for you. Are you ready, goddessofchaos??

Will you rent out your place in Hilo to a couple of fellow cruise lovers like yourself while you're on your dream cruise?

This couple just so happens to love DAWGS? Even if the DAWG is DIRTY?:confused::confused:

:D