Miami Hotel Precruise

My mistake in posting. Regent wants to put us up at the Hyatt Coral Gables. Mudhen's description of the stay at The Epic through Regent does sound like it was a better choice even though Missymssy didn't care for it. I think we will take the hotel credit and do our own thing.

We booked our air so cannot rethink the decision to spend more time in Miami. Besides I just snuck in an extra cruise in October that I hope DH doesn't realize is close to our December sailing.

Thanks everyone.

My mistake in posting. Regent wants to put us up at the Hyatt Coral Gables. Mudhen's description of the stay at The Epic through Regent does sound like it was a better choice even though Missymssy didn't care for it. I think we will take the hotel credit and do our own thing.

We booked our air so cannot rethink the decision to spend more time in Miami. Besides I just snuck in an extra cruise in October that I hope DH doesn't realize is close to our December sailing.

Thanks everyone.

Appreciate the clarification. We also did our own air but will be staying at the Hyatt Coral Gables. I was not concerned with TripAdvisor's review and, as mentioned previously, do not really trust the few reviews posted by Yelp (not trying to bash Yelp - they are just new and do not have a track record). While we love to have a room in the "Club" section of a hotel, we arrive too late and leave too early to take advantage of it (plus, we do get breakfast which is my least favorite meal of the day -- toast, juice, fruit and coffee will be just fine for me). While we prefer upscale hotels, our standards are not as high when we are only in the hotel overnight.

Love the fact that you "snuck in" a cruise in October. I kinda talked Dennis into a 10 night Alaska cruise that ends 2 months before our 25 night cruise. He knows how much that I wanted to become Titanium and we would be 10 nights short at the end of our November cruise. With the Alaska cruise, we will hit 400 nights on the head in November! You guys must be close to Titanium and will likely overtake us a you are cruising more than we are (a good thing):D

Hi, I live in Miami and I second the Intercontinental. The location is perfect to get to the cruise port, only about 5 minutes away. :cool:

EX MIA Woman. would not send my dog to a Holiday Inn. if you do not want to pay for Epic stay at the IC. stayed there twice and always could see a ship from my window.. I walked to Epic for dinner. Loud and noisey but great Asian food. But was more expensive than LA Sushi.

if one night downtown I stay in MB at the Ritz. The club floor serves food all day long. One night it was raining and i sat with my ipad and Kindle eating and drinking. it was great.

I know of two Hyatt hotels that Regent uses in Miami and have never known them to use Holiday Inn. I think that some posters just like Holiday Inn.

Eager2Travel - I guess we were talking about two different Hyatt Hotels. Regent is putting us in the Hyatt Coral Gables in November while you were offered the Park Hyatt. I will check out Yelp even though I have no confidence in their reviews but will also check out TripAdvisor - even though we won't be staying there.

P.S. I'm now more confused - I Googled "Park Hyatt" and Hyatt Regency came up so I'm not sure which hotel it is. I did check out the two reviews and I guess if depends upon whether you believe the negative or positive reviews. Yelp rated them 3 stars while TripAdvisor rated them 3 1/2 stars.

TC, Hyatt has one property downtown the Hyatt Regency. Inside its been redone. Outside it looks quite old. For one day it's fine. I wouldn't want to spend more then one day as to me the location is not appealing especially if one is a walker like we are.

They do have one in Coral Gables; Hyatt Regency Same concept. For one day it would be OK although to me without a car I find Coral Gables to be rather removed and prefer downtown Miami.

Those are the Hyatt Regency properties they have. The others are Hyatt Centric in places such as South Beach and the Airport.

Keith

Has anyone stayed at the Hampton Inn in the Brickell-Downtown area? They have a Hilton Honors price in the $170s. It has really high marks on Trip Advisor as well as Yelp.

Ann, Shel:

We have done Miami twice for Regent cruises and a third will be in February - all on the Explorer.

1st trip - We wanted a Concierge cabin so took the included pre-cruise night at Hyatt Coral gables. Limo transfer from airport about 6 miles to hotel, nice hotel room, so-so breakfast, very nice lunch/dinner restaurants in neighborhood, and bus transfer to ship at 12:30 embarkation day.

2nd trip - Had F cabin and didn't need the air deviation. Also had Hilton points. Stayed at the Hilton Miami Airport; very nice experience! Free shuttle to hotel; very nice room; very acceptable restaurants on-site; hourly shuttle to ship's dock ($14p.p.) reserved at hotel (we used the 10AM and it arrived at ship's pier before 10:30).

3rd trip - For the February cruise we have 2 Concierge cabin's and will stay with Regent hotel (Epic?). Our "kids" are new to Regent. Epic would be Okay with us BUT Regent seems to change the Miami hotels from what originally offered in cruise description! if it was just us, I'd have gone back to the Airport Hilton on points.

Hope you have a fun cruise.

Jim C

Jim, what was the area like around the Hilton Miami Airport? We have been to other hotels near the airport and really didn't even want to go outside because of the neighborhoods.

Has anyone stayed at the Hampton Inn in the Brickell-Downtown area? They have a Hilton Honors price in the $170s. It has really high marks on Trip Advisor as well as Yelp.

I have not stayed there but it comes highly recommended on the Florida Departures Board and I am familiar with the location. It's a fine location near Mary Brickell Village and Brickell Centre. I have stayed at other Hampton Inn's and it does include a nice breakfast.

The only downside is that it is not a full service hotel for someone looking for that but if that dosen't matter it's another nice option.

Keith

TC, Hyatt has one property downtown the Hyatt Regency. Inside its been redone. Outside it looks quite old. For one day it's fine. I wouldn't want to spend more then one day as to me the location is not appealing especially if one is a walker like we are.

They do have one in Coral Gables; Hyatt Regency Same concept. For one day it would be OK although to me without a car I find Coral Gables to be rather removed and prefer downtown Miami.

Those are the Hyatt Regency properties they have. The others are Hyatt Centric in places such as South Beach and the Airport.

Keith

Thanks Keith! If we were staying there longer than 12 hours, we would likely stay elsewhere. As long as we can find a place to get a bite to eat after we check in, we'll be fine. Hoping that there is at least one restaurant near the hotel.

Here is my own tuppenceworth.

We are cruising on Explorer at Christmas /New year from Miami and we (2 couples) are booked with Regent to stay pre-cruise at the Hyatt Coral Gables. It was the more expensive of the two options Regent offered there and its historic nature sounded very appealing. I have since read many reviews of it on tripadvisor and other websites, which are very mixed. Had I done some homework earlier I might have had concerns, but not only was I very busy with other things then, I didn't expect Regent to offer anything less than excellent, given the amount of choice in Miami. The other couple we are cruising with stayed at this hotel a couple of months ago, after we had already committed to it, just to "check it out", as they were doing a couple of days in Miami as part of another trip.

The upshot, sadly, is that our friends report that although the main public areas are absolutely fine, the rooms are very dated and tired, badly in need of refurbishment and upgrading. They checked out some other rooms while there and noted that many rooms/corridors have a smell of bad drainage or something similarly disagreeable. They have spent all of their lives in high end travel and hospitality industries and know what they are talking about. They said that they were decidedly not impressed and did not want to return and knew that we would not like it either. I doubt that we can cancel that part of our outlay, so we just will not use it. We have now booked to stay overnight at the Mandarin Oriental, which has far better reviews. This is more expensive, but I'd rather a lovely start to my trip (especially after long, tiring flights from Scotland) than a night in a tired - and a bit whiffy - hotel room. I suspect many of us keen travellers have endured that experience at least once and it is not one I am keen to repeat if I can avoid it.

Hi, I live in Miami and I second the Intercontinental. The location is perfect to get to the cruise port, only about 5 minutes away. :cool:[/quote

Greetings from South Beach. I also live in Miami-Dade, albeit on South Beach, and I also recommend the Intercontinental. It is right on the shore, and you can see the port from the right room. From our port side PHs, we see the hotel. It is certainly a short ride to the ship.

Mary

The reality is that there are so many nice hotels to choose from. This is why we love Miami.

It really comes down to how long you are staying, what you like (eg., Beach, Pool, neither) your budget and whether you like to walk or use transportation.

auldlassie, the Mandarin Oriental is yet another very nice hotel. If you desire something luxurious it is one of a few nice choices in downtown Miami. It is on a small island and has a very nice pool and man made beach and is a nice choice. I am sure you will be very happy with your choice.

Here are a couple of photos.

P1010898.jpg

It's on Brickell Key.

P1010899.jpg

P1010900.jpgP1010901.jpg

P1010902.jpg

On a related note, I don't concern myself with a hotel that has a view of the port even though there are many.

Why?

Because when we walk around Miami we enjoy wonderful views of the port either by walking over to the port or by just walking outside places such a the island where the Mandarin Oriental is or by the Intercontinental. Sometimes though we have seen the port from a few miles away at the Four Seasons.

Lots of good restaurant choices as well.

Keith

Jim, what was the area like around the Hilton Miami Airport? We have been to other hotels near the airport and really didn't even want to go outside because of the neighborhoods.

We have stayed there many times. Really nice grounds and surrounding area. It is on sort of a little island with only some nice office buildings beside it. There is a walkway where you can go out and watch the manatees in the water. Very safe area.

auldlassie, I'm sorry to add fuel to the flames here. We were assigned the Hyatt Coral Gables by Regent for a post cruise stay earlier this year and since we wished to spend a little longer to explore Miami, we wanted to be a little more central. I had chatted with Keith, who recommended the properties in and around Brickell Key - spot on! Since we'd had excellent experiences at Mandarin properties in the Far East, most recently a couple of times in Hong Kong where the service and accommodation was legendary, we chose the MO, Miami. Sad to say, it was a mistake and we wished we'd stayed elsewhere.

You are correct, it's expensive. But beyond the name, the Miami MO has little in common with the MO properties in other parts of the world and we were very disappointed by the shabby decor in the bedrooms, the poor service and, I'm sorry to say, the loud and noisy groups who were evident in all parts of the hotel. This was far from the peaceful haven we expected and we found it to be no more than an upscale corporate hotel like any other.

We were glad of Keith's recommendation to stay in the Brickell area, which is ideal in many respects. Next time, however, we'd choose a different property - there are several to choose from.

Ann, I just realised you originated this thread (and yes, I noted you snuck in that extra one too....hehe!! Lucky Shel!) If you'd care to drop me an email (via my blog, if you like) I'll share a few more details about the Mandarin which I prefer not to post in public.

TC, we are still a long way from Titanium. I don't even have it in sight.

Gilly, I am going to go to your blog to email you. Hopefully I can still find it. I am not as internet literate as I pretend.

We are leaning toward the Hilton Airport with points for this stay. Next time we leave from Miami we will stay a few days and use some of Keith's suggestions.

Hi Ann (and Shel) we would probably (frugally) do the same (as we have tons of hilton honors pls)...enjoy....off topic but we have a robust roll call Mariner Shanghai to Tokyo March 2019 (if I have not asked u previously, pls consider on board booking :))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have stayed there many times. Really nice grounds and surrounding area. It is on sort of a little island with only some nice office buildings beside it. There is a walkway where you can go out and watch the manatees in the water. Very safe area.

This is absolutely correct and the free shuttles are so convenient. A short and safe walk away has plenty of shopping for last minute items. The hotel shuttle will drop you at the main intersection and a 2 minute stroll gets you to the stores. I think there was also another Hilton brand (with shuttles) within this office building area.

For 12 hours I would take whatever Regent offers.

BUT, there have been 3 south florida members chime in and they all said go to the Intercontinental. Well, I am from South Florida and I would stay at the Intercon as well. It is unanimous from the South Florida contingent. Intercontinental.

Great hotel and have stayed there few times.

Here is another vote for the Epic. We have stayed there several times and have loved it every time. The view from the restaurant/lounge is amazing!

We are Kimpton Hotel members and just got a great rate on a corner suite on the Lounge floor. We are looking forward to our pre-cruise stay there.

Hi Keith, thanks for posting those photos of the MO. We have dinner booked at Azul, so I am hoping it will live up to its excellent reputation. Gilly, I can only say thanks for your heads up. I know it is not as expensive as some Mandarins and we shall see what we find for sure. However, given that it is rated currently on tripadvisor as no 5 in Miami, I remain comforted that it is bound to be better than Hyatt Coral Gables, currently sitting at 51, although my pals' opinions actually decided matters for me. For sure everything is horses for courses too. If only all hotels were perfect. Then they would all be called the Peninsula Beverly Hills or the Peninsula Paris -for this horse at least. :)

Hi Keith, thanks for posting those photos of the MO. We have dinner booked at Azul, so I am hoping it will live up to its excellent reputation. Gilly, I can only say thanks for your heads up. I know it is not as expensive as some Mandarins and we shall see what we find for sure. However, given that it is rated currently on tripadvisor as no 5 in Miami, I remain comforted that it is bound to be better than Hyatt Coral Gables, currently sitting at 51, although my pals' opinions actually decided matters for me. For sure everything is horses for courses too. If only all hotels were perfect. Then they would all be called the Peninsula Beverly Hills or the Peninsula Paris -for this horse at least. :)

You are very welcome.

The Mandarin Oriental is a beautiful hotel and lots nicer then staying at Coral Gables and at the Hyatt.

The island that the Mandarin is located on is very nice and you will have the man made beach and a beautiful setting.

I think you will be very pleased with the hotel and its location.

The small island it is located on is just a short walk or drive from Brickell. Anne Marie and I have walked it numerous times.

If I can help with any other questions about the area near the Mandarin, please be sure to ask.

Keith